Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#245746 - 05/09/12 02:46 AM signal mirror save south of the border
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

One for rafowell: great report on using a small, dogtag-sized signal mirror for rescue after a 4 day layup.

http://boloreport.com/sessc-survival-after-a-firefight-south-of-the-border

#245753 - 05/09/12 06:58 AM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
rafowell Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Southern California
Thanks, Glock-A-Roo!

That particular dogtag mirror seems a bit small (<2 inch^2 of stainless steel) and heavy (1.4 oz) for my taste, and I'd like to see a better aimer on it, but if the stainless steel is flat and clean, 10 mile naked-eye visibility under good conditions seems right for a 2 sq inch stainless steel mirror.

I do like the idea of the integral protective cover for the mirror, and the small size is a help.

There's an advertising page for the mirror here with a 7+ minute video and lots of photos.

http://www.deathvalleygear.com/2010/11/sar-dog-tag-eclipse-signal-system/

I'll order one for some testing. Has anyone else tried that mirror?

#245756 - 05/09/12 09:58 AM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: rafowell]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Interesting report, and instant nostalgia for me. I and some companions did a really fine climb of the high point of the range (Pichacho del Diablo) back in the 60s. We experienced the closest I have ever come to true wilderness - no trails, no maps, and utter solitude on a trip that went from a dry lake bed near sea level to the 10,000 foot summit. What a contrast to the conditions in Mexico today!

But then,as now, ideal conditions for signal mirror use...

Edited by hikermor (05/09/12 09:59 AM)

#245763 - 05/09/12 02:45 PM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: rafowell]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: rafowell
That particular dogtag mirror seems a bit small (<2 inch^2 of stainless steel) and heavy (1.4 oz) for my taste, and I'd like to see a better aimer on it

Agreed. That's why I think the TOPS dog tag mirror is actually a better choice for a mirror of this genre.

- It has a decent aiming hole, and you can stick whatever reflective material you want on the back side. I bought some SOLAS tape online and did just that. IMO, the SAR mirror is wasting valuable space on the SOLAS side. Why put a small circle of SOLAS there instead of covering the entire area (less the aiming hole)? The weight & bulk difference is not measurable, and on such a small unit every square millimeter of reflectivity matters.

- The clip on the SAR mirror adds weight and bulk without utility. I would never carry my mirror just by clipping it to some gear, that is asking to lose it in a hurry.

#245775 - 05/09/12 09:45 PM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have never heard of this web site before, so I don't know what its editorial practices are.

However, as I read the story, it seemed fake to me. Its supposed to be a first hand account from a Mexican cop of some sort. Yet it is written in colloquial American English. Do you really think a mexican cop would tell his story in American English?

It even has common mistakes that you see Americans make pretty regularly like transposing the 'r' and 'o' in "from" to get "form".

Bob

#245780 - 05/10/12 02:09 AM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: ILBob]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: ILBob
Do you really think a mexican cop would tell his story in American English?

Yeah, I bet you're right. There's no way a Mexican person could have lived and been educated in America and picked up our way of using English, even if that person did spell marijuana "marihuana" like they do in Spanish. I mean, if that kind of thing really happened, we'd have a huge immigration issue on our hands resulting in complicated policy questions and a lot of cultural cross-pollination.

Oh, wait...

#245784 - 05/10/12 03:37 AM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: ILBob]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
ILBob,May I call you Ill Bob on this one? Where is a Mexican Cop gonna' derive his English from anyhow?Great Britain isn't just around the corner,America is though! crazy

#245791 - 05/10/12 11:32 AM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: Richlacal]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I know many folks with strong cultural and linguistic ties to Mexico who are perfectly comfortable and fluent in colloquial English. One probably encounters people like this more often in southern California and Arizona than in Illinois.

#245797 - 05/10/12 05:09 PM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
I have spent a fair amount of time in mexico in close proximity to mexicans who speak very good English. they just do not talk this way. even the mexicans I know who have been in the US for many years speak in a different way than americans do.

It was just an observation though. It might be perfectly legit.

Bob

#245799 - 05/10/12 08:18 PM Re: signal mirror save south of the border [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I forgot to mention another design difference that I think makes the TOPS dogtag mirror better than the SAR.

The TOPS is chrome plated which yields a flat, smooth, very reflective finish. The SAR is highly polished stainless steel which I don't think is as uniformly reflective. Again, with these little mirrors every square millimeter counts.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 544 Guests and 36 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 12:34 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.