The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#251729 - 10/14/12 01:50 PM Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
I'm six months pregnant now, making the public transit trek to Toronto (a good 60kms or so one way) every two weeks, and it's seasonal switch-over time. Temps are going below zero overnight now, and are anywhere between single digits and high teens during the day, with sun, rain, wind and frost. My weight tolerance is getting lower but my needs a little higher. I've been adjusting my EDC load as I go and could use your help winterizing it. It's significantly light today than it was when I first posted but now needs a winter warm-up.

The most likely scenario I'm prepping for is a breakdown of public transit between the hospital and my Jeep, that gets parked on the outskirts of the city. If I get stuck at the hospital or my Jeep, I figure I'll have enough resources available unless TS really HTF.

This is one view inside my EDC backpack - the tools pocket, if you will. LMWave (with fire steel and maglite solitare in sheath), AAAx3 LED, LED glow stick, bic, kleenex, wipes, lip balm, bandana, pen, TUMS, mylar blanket, emerg poncho.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h351/backpackjac/IMG_0865.jpg

The bag also contains: my wallet with cash/coins/credit/id/emerg contact info/calling card/etc, 2 days worth of prescription meds, 2L nalgene, 3 or 4 cliff/granola bars, spare socks and unders, wool hat and mitts, medical paperwork and id, Toronto tourism map with contact info, silk sleeping bag liner, FAK, mp3 player with FM tuner, sunglasses, prescription glasses and a gortex jacket. I've also been taking my tablet or kindle, cel phone and chargers on these trips. My edc keychain also gets thrown in there. (keys, SAK, micro photon, Fox 40, paracord lanyard, Streamlite Nano)

Obviously, the clothing I wear is my first line of defence against the weather. I dress for the worse likely weather, which means I'll likely be wearing the jacket more and more. I'd like to swap it out for something warmer, and possibly lighter. I've got a wonderful primaloft jacket but I've outgrown it so am on the hunt for a budget-friendly substitute. A lined fleece jacket perhaps?

I'm also thinking of switching the nalgene to a 1l version and adding a small insulated bottle/thermos for hot drinks. I'm going to throw in some chem pocket warmers and microPUR tabs as well.

Any other suggestions?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#251732 - 10/14/12 04:06 PM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
Nope, sounds good to me bacpacjac. As a contingency I would spend an hour and run a search for hotels, hospitals, police and fire stations along your commute route, and mark those on your map. Also the locations of houses and apartments of friends located en route, with their phone numbers - any port in a storm. You don't mention whether your commute is by train or bus, but either one can break down en route, get stuck in snow or ice etc. Worst case, you could be stuck in Peel or Uxbridge or maybe some other unknown area en route between home and work, and your SO may not be able to get to you. It might be good to know where you might find a place to be put up for the night. If this happens, tell your SO of your plan, and just make sure you can do it safely. Having that and the financial means to pay for shelter is a fair contingency. Slightly more likely would see you being snowed in at work, so the same preparation to shelter in place at work or a nearby Toronto hotel would be a good idea.

As long as you are on public transport you benefit from the twin realities that a. you're pregnant, and most of us by human nature will go to extremes to help a pregnant person, and b. the operators of public transport do much the same for anyone on their busses or trains. Staying on the train or bus until they are ready to 'move' you and other passengers is the safest plan. With your silk sleeping liner, warm clothes and survival blanket you should be the warmest passenger in the worst case. I wouldn't recommend going off in a snow storm in your third trimester alone to find assistance - leave that to others.

Edited by Lono (10/14/12 04:07 PM)

#251733 - 10/14/12 06:11 PM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
How about a one-pager (two-sided) to guide some stranger if they were tasked with helping you deliver in a non-hospital setting?

Being paper, it would also be firestarter.

#251734 - 10/14/12 06:46 PM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
possibly a walking stick or trekking pole....I don't have a lot of experience walking on snow or ice.... smile

#251744 - 10/15/12 04:16 AM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I would second the written instructions on baby delivery. With that in mind, add 2 feet of strong clean cordage and 4 maxi pads in the event of unexpected water breakage. Mostly during the 3rd Trimester.

#251747 - 10/15/12 06:31 AM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Can't help but chuckle at all us guys giving advice! laugh

... I've been around a few preggers and (pardon me for being indelicate) the first order of business is a plan for bathroom facilities ... not sure how to deal with that on a city bus that's stranded ...

Edited by dougwalkabout (10/15/12 02:36 PM)
Edit Reason: no need to be rude

#251752 - 10/15/12 06:59 PM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Thanks gang! Great suggestions, all.

LOL@dougwalkabout! My water broke in a movie theatre when I was pregnant with my son. It was nothing at all like the clean, simple affair they show on tv and in the movies. Point well taken! Thanks for the reminder!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#251768 - 10/15/12 11:54 PM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
Perhaps we should start a pool on where you 'll be when your water breaks this time. Places would be general description. Ex: Home, a bus, a store, camping, etc.

I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself.

#251773 - 10/16/12 04:37 AM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I believe it is BPJ who will be starting the pool.....

I'm sorry but I couldn't help myself (either).....

#251783 - 10/16/12 02:08 PM Re: Winterizing Preggo's EDC Bag [Re: bacpacjac]
Chisel Offline
Veteran

In my social culture, men are very protective of women, and I had to remind myself that I am writing for a different society. Otherwise, there is no way in life that I will leave my wife travel all that long and in that kind of weather , and while she is in her trimester. I would even leave my job to go with her.

OK. I have been on western forums for long enough. So, I will suggest that your husband travel with you once or twice . Reasons are :

1 - He becomes familiar enough with the hospital , road ..etc so that if you had to call him during a blizzard, and tell him you are in so-and-so restaurant, he will know what you are talking about.

2 - On the way, both of you can pick and agree on possible "bug-in" locations, where you will shelter in case of weather/auto/social/other problems.

3- While you are with the doctor , he can tour the nearby area looking for safety opportunites , or sources of trouble that you may have not noticed ( being focused on your primary purpose of the travel).

Just my 2¢

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
1 registered (Phaedrus), 408 Guests and 35 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.