Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#252586 - 11/01/12 03:04 AM Business travel preps?
LaLine Offline
Stranger

Loc: Utah
I''ve learned so much from this forum in the past, I'm hoping you all can give me some advice on how to be prepared when you have to travel for business.

I'm currently on a business trip in Louisville. I received an alert on my phone an hour or so ago indicating there was an immediate evacuation/shelter-in-place order just outside of town due to an explosion at a train derailment site. The train was transporting toxic chemicals. This got me thinking and I'm curious how those of you who travel stay prepared.

My question has two parts: 1) in general, how do you prepare and what do you carry while traveling and 2) what game plans do you have in place if you have to evacuate an area when you're far from home?

FYI the alert came from NOAA via my Weatherbug app. Not the type of alerts I usually receive on that app. Is there something better to use for non-weather related emergencies?

#252588 - 11/01/12 04:02 AM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: LaLine]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I recently changed jobs and find myself traveling by air significantly more often than before. I'd already developed (what I think is) a pretty good commuter kit for public transit with some great input in this thread: http://forums.equipped.org/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=237263 . I had to strip it down for TSA-compliance, weight and bulk to fly with it, so here's what I have with me now:

• Bottle of water, purchased locally
  • snack bars
  • spare CR123A battery in a plastic wrapper, suitable for my primary EDC flashlight (which is a 4Sevens Quark 123 R5)
  • 4Sevens Prism kit to turn the Quark into a headlamp
  • iTP A3 EOS Upgrade 1xAAA flashlight on a neck lanyard
  • mini-Bic
  • A couple of large paperclips
  • 4Sevens titanium key ring whistle
  • A small amount of duct tape
  • Sawyer sunblock with bug repellant spray
  • bandanna
  • Heatsheets 2 person emergency blanket
  • rain shell
  • Countycommm "ETFR" small radio with earbuds
  • Leatherman Wave (pre-2004) (in checked bag, moved to laptop bag aft flight, left at home when not checking bags on shorter trips)
  • Preon 2 S3 Ti
  • small FAK including Patrol Officer's Pocket Trauma Kit
  • sync/charge cables and AC power cube for my iPhone and iPad
  • 10 Ah lithium polymer battery with cables to charge my iThings or many other devices
  • earplugs
  • facial tissue
  • small Leatherman multi without knife blade, marked as TSA-compliant and successfully carried through airport security many times
  • appropriate outerwear, including boots when I can bring them
  • spare contact lenses, glasses
  • international outlet adapters if appropriate

All kits are a compromise. I've compromised here rather more than I might have liked, but for less than my coworkers traveling with me -- I've been able to help with many small travel challenges as a consequence.

#252598 - 11/01/12 10:10 AM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: chaosmagnet]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Most of my business travel has involved situations where field work was on the agenda, so I was in good shape for a good many potential emergencies in terms of FAKs, etc. I found that a small, minimalist backpack of the type that do double duty as a stuff sack for a sleeping bag made for a very versatile carry on bag that was quite useful in a variety of situations. I always try to have shoes or boot with me in which I can walk a significant distance, if necessary. This can be tricky if your work involves more formal environments.

I think it is hard to bear Chaosmagnet's basic list.

#252601 - 11/01/12 11:00 AM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: LaLine]
Byrd_Huntr Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MN, Land O' Lakes & Rivers ...
I travel for a living, and the answer to your question would be based on how and where you travel. If by car, it is pretty easy to have what you need with you in a tote in the trunk. Be sure to equip for the expected extremes of the climate you are driving into. Always have a way to carry the most critical gear if you have to walk. Even if you car pool, don't be afraid to toss in a small extra backpack with your survival gear in it.

If you go by air, it is a little more challenging, but still do-able. In my checked luggage, I always have walking shoes, some heavier casual clothing, a hat, a large swiss army knife, mini BIC, whistle, AA cell LED flashlight, small FAK, water purification tabs, button compass, and local maps.

You won't be walking back to Utah from Louisville, so bring what you think you will need if you have to walk to a public shelter for a few days. Consider if pepper spray is right for you.

I also carry a few basics in my computer bag, as the SHTF event might happen while I am sitting in a meeting room somewhere... a small LED flashlight, a small swiss army knife (classic), a bandanna, a mini BIC, a whistle, a button compass, phone charger. Also, I have a little cash stashed.

Lastly, I always dress as comfortably as the situation allows. I can usually get by with Dockers and long sleeve Eddie Bauer shirts. I always consider if this is the set of clothes that I would want to wear for three or four days in a sudden emergency where my checked bag is back at the hotel, and I am sitting in the gym at the local YMCA. If you are a person who wears spike heels and micro-minis to work, you need to have your emergency backpack with you at the place of business.

There is no one perfect list, as it depends on your personal needs, your mode of transportation, and your environment along the way and at your destination.

#252605 - 11/01/12 01:28 PM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: LaLine]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

I travel by very often, and never go without my kit. The only things I do not carry on are the knives. I do carry the pocket survival saw from Survival Resources; and EMT Shears. These two cutting tools will suffice for most cutting needs and they are TSA friendly.

#252608 - 11/01/12 02:09 PM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: LaLine]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
This is something I find tricky at times as well...I don't fly that often, usually my traveling is within car or train range, but flying makes it a lot harder to feel prepared especially if you're like me and only travel with carry-on luggage if at all possible. Not being able to bring a SAK and a can of pepper spray is less than optimal. I like the tip about EMT shears...will have to add a pair to my packing next time. In response to the above comment about dressing comfortably, I completely agree and would add that it's preferable to stick with natural fibers wherever possible--in the event of a fire, they won't melt and stick to skin like synthetics can. Wool is best for flame resistance and there is a decent amount of washable wool clothing available (since anything dry clean only is pretty impractical IMHO). Cotton will burn pretty easily but at least won't melt.

#252623 - 11/01/12 05:13 PM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: LaLine]
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

I travel by airline a lot, typically 35 weeks a year, sometimes overnight, sometimes all week or more. Always travel with a checked bag as I need my knives. grin Threw this list together from memory, probably left a few items off.

Except as noted, this is what I carry on in my Rollerboard and Rolling Computer Case and on my person
* = Checked Baggage
# = Carry-on and Checked baggage

Tools and such:

Verizon Droid Razr MAX Smart Phone (will last 2 days standby regular, 3 days when set to economy)
ToughBook computer (7 hrs battery life)
6 ft. extension cord w/ 3 receptacle, three way plug, and Charge Cables for devices
Sidewinder Charger for cell phone *
TSA Compliant Leatherman Knifeless Fuse
3.5" Scissors
Assortment of flashlights (varies, but typically about 4-6 ranging from PICO/Photon to 100+ lumen)
Spare batteries for flashlights #
Various Multi-use pens :-)
BIC Lighter, vacuum packed
Book Matches, vacuum packed *
RSK Mk1 and Mini-RSK Mk1 Knives *
Leatherman Charge *
Leatherman Juice S2 *

(I carry 2 sets knives and tools for both less formal and business dress)

Supplies:

4 x 26" rolls duct tape
48" roll fluorescent pink gaffer tape
48" roll 3/4" fiberglass reinforced strapping tape
AMK PSP (with scalpel blade removed)
2 x X-Large Binder Clips (keep drapes closed) *
Howard Leight MAX Earplugs (lots) #
50 ft. Parachute Cord *

Food & Water:

Water (purchased at airport and local upon arrival)
Various LaraBars and "Granola" Bars #
3 x Starkist Lemon Pepper Tuna (retort packaged) & Primus Folding Spoon/Fork (NOT a spork!) #
Jerky or similar

Environmental Protection:

Emergency Poncho
Compact Umbrella
6 x Sperian Fold Flat N95 Masks w/ Exhalation Valve #
6 pair Nitrile gloves (vacuum packed)#
1pr. Nylon Work Gloves with Coated Palms/Fingers, vacuum packed *
30 x Chlorine Dioxide water purification tablets

First Aid:

LOTS! #
Assortment of OTC and prescription meds to cover typical on-the-road maladies
Personal Meds (adequate for 1 week beyond planned trip length) w/ copies of current prescriptions

Misc:

Emergency Cash, Spare Credit Card, Prepaid Phone Card (well hidden)
Spare Drivers License (just report lost/stolen and get a replacement, keep old one - AZ are good for damn near forever, YMMV)
ACR ResQLink PLB
Lightweight Backpack (folds into its own pocket), vacuum packed

Edited by Doug_Ritter (11/01/12 05:20 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#252627 - 11/01/12 06:23 PM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: LaLine]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
my read on TSA allowed (carry on) for sharp pointy scissors with under a 4" blade would be something like these WISS 175E electrician's scissors...I did cut a copper penny in half with them...

Edited by LesSnyder (11/01/12 06:24 PM)

#252628 - 11/01/12 06:30 PM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: LaLine]
Pete Offline
Veteran

i've only ever had one problem on business travel. however - it was a big problem when it happened. i left home with a cold ... and it was getting worse. in the middle of the night in my hotel room - I could hardly breathe. that's the only time when I've had my lungs filled with so much fluid that I really couldn't get enough oxygen. i called the front desk ... but for "legal reasons" they could not give me any cold meds. Ridiculous.

Make sure you have your normal meds ... plus a few extra meds in case you come down with a very bad cold.

Pete2

#252632 - 11/01/12 06:58 PM Re: Business travel preps? [Re: chaosmagnet]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Arney made a great suggestion in Chaosmagnet's Commuter Kit thread: some sort of padding to sit on. If you get stuck inpn an airport overnight it could make things a bit more comfortable.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 526 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.