Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#248196 - 07/09/12 11:37 AM First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin
Frankie Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Montréal, Québec, Canada
Hi everyone,

Does it make sense to pack Neosporin (Polysporin in Canada) antibacterial ointment that is ophthalmic (for the eyes) in your small kit (space is a concern, the kit must be readily available in a pocket) Can it be used everywhere on other wounds?

Thanks
François

#248197 - 07/09/12 01:32 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: Frankie]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Keep in mind that some people are allergic to the neomycin in trible antibiotic ointments (which includes Neosporin). That's bad enough on the skin, but if it happened in an eye it would be a lot worse.

Double antibiotic ointment using bacitracin is just as effective without the allergy risk, though I have no idea if it is opthalmic.

There are a couple wrinkles with the naming between Canada and the States. In the US, 'Polysporin' is a double antibiotic with bacitracin and polymyxin. In Canada, 'complete Polysporin' is a triple antibiotic with bacitracin, polymyxin, and gramicidin but no neomycin. More info here.

ETA: I have a friend who is a dermatologist. He says that if you clean a wound well and keep it covered with petroleum jelly (Vaseline), it will heal just as well as if you used an antibiotic ointment. However I need to ask him how this goes if you are in a situation where cleaning the wound thoroughly is difficult.

#248205 - 07/09/12 02:36 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
However I need to ask him how this goes if you are in a situation where cleaning the wound thoroughly is difficult.

I tried managing a not too bad dog bite at home with betadine scrub, copious irrigation, soaks, and antibiotic ointment. It worked poorly. Too deep, too contaminated...too stupid.

If cleaning the wound is difficult, the wound might be too deep to be helped by a dab of antibiotic ointment on the top. Time to abort the mission and head back to civilization. Puncture wounds, foreign bodies, ragged wounds, crush injuries and the like may need surgical exploration and debridement, as well as oral or parenteral antibiotics.

#248207 - 07/09/12 03:16 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: nursemike]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Yes, as Glock-A-Roo said, Polysporin and Neosporin are NOT the same formulation - at least not here in the US. My wife is a Nurse Practitioner and she uses only Polysporin on patients because of the allergy/irritation potention with Neosporin (I can't remember if she said it was "allergy" or "irritation", so we'll go with Glock-A-Roo's statement that it is "allergy").

FWIW, Neosporin works fine on me - I have no problems with it. But others do.

Also, my wife said that slathering a bunch of antibiotic ointment on some wounds so that air cannot get to them will actually INCREASE the likelyhood that they will get infected despite the fact that you are slathering them with ANTIBIOTIC ointment. I guess it might depend on the specific bacteria or something. So keep that in mind when using these ointments - they can be helpful, but they are not a panacea.

#248209 - 07/09/12 04:13 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: nursemike]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: nursemike
[quote=Glock-A-Roo]If cleaning the wound is difficult, the wound might be too deep to be helped by a dab of antibiotic ointment on the top. Time to abort the mission and head back to civilization. Puncture wounds, foreign bodies, ragged wounds, crush injuries and the like may need surgical exploration and debridement, as well as oral or parenteral antibiotics.

So true, well said.

#248213 - 07/09/12 04:57 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: Frankie]
Oware Offline

Loc: 49th parallel
I have made good use of antibiotic ointment during long backpacking trips.

The first time was on a case of "barbers itch" a staff like skin
infection that started in a blister under a pack strap. The second was as eye infection from excessive horse poop dust in the trail, combined with soft contact lenses .

I was glad I had it as it took a couple of days to evacuate each
time.

Edited by Oware (07/09/12 04:58 PM)

#248215 - 07/09/12 05:33 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: Frankie]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I just did a quick check, and the concentration of the antibacterial ingredients appears to be equivalent between the regular and opthalmic versions. I'm not sure how well the drops will work on a wound, especially if they drain off right away. For a superficial cut or scrape, I think I would prefer an ointment that will maintain contact with the wound for a while, but in a pinch, it appears that the opthalmic version could work just as well in theory. Anyway, for what it's worth...

#248218 - 07/09/12 06:22 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: Frankie]
ponder Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: American Redoubt
I believe God made Neosporin. It has been my go-to dope for everything including the dogs nose. After this read, I must now test it in all of the farmsteads eyes.
American Redoubt
N43.9668 W116.1888

#248220 - 07/09/12 06:39 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: Frankie]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
In the past we used regular neosporin to treat the matting eyes of our outside cats and it always worked. However, I don't think I would try this on people without asking a legitimate medical professional. My advice is to consult your regular family doctor.

#248221 - 07/09/12 06:50 PM Re: First Aid - Neosporin/Polysporin [Re: Arney]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
Originally Posted By: Arney
...the concentration of the antibacterial ingredients appears to be equivalent between the regular and opthalmic versions...

It's not just the drug, it's the delivery agent as well. A petroleum-based delivery agent may be just fine for your skin, but not so good for your eyes. While it may not harm your eyes (I don't know this), it may be uncomfortable or not disolve well in tears and you then end up looking through a smeared haze for a while. I would recommend using medicines as they are intended to be used by the manufacturers in cases like this.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 244 Guests and 63 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.