Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#248037 - 07/06/12 12:59 AM HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Saw something like these watching the new Russian bushcraft show. Looking through the related forums, I had realized that they've became very popular among Russian "bush-men" in recent years. Probably because of their nearly infinite reusability.

The principle is simple. The pack generates heat when the salt inside starts to crystallize after initiation by the catalytic element inside. To recharge - just boil it until completely soft again.

Does anyone have any experience with the above product available on the US market? Can it be good for camping? Or perhaps there are other similar heaters available?

#248045 - 07/06/12 04:44 AM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: Alex]
UTAlumnus Offline
Old Hand

Loc: East Tennessee near Bristol
There was a company marketing a similar handwarmer several years ago. In theory, its not a bad idea. Having to boil it to recharge it is a serious fail for me. Over the years, I've tried several different handwarmer options over the years. The air activated kind work well. The charcoal stick type, at least for me, tend to burn for a few minutes and go out. I've got one of the Zippo Catalyst types to try this winter.

#248050 - 07/06/12 03:17 PM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: Alex]
Michael2 Offline
Journeyman

I got one a few years ago. They work, and they're fun to play with - I actually quite liked the idea of boiling to recharge - I hate nonresuable things where it costs you a buck or two just to try it out. But they are rather heavy; they contain a fluid so it's like lugging around a small hot water bottle. I wouldn't carry it camping or hiking, but it's fine to keep around the house. It's exactly the heat equivalent of those packs you keep in the freezer - good for first aid, but still kind of heavy and one-shot-use for travelling with.

#248053 - 07/06/12 03:35 PM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: Alex]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
I have used several of these-

Plusses
reusable
cheap

minuses
EASY TO BREAK- I try to be careful, but the plastic does not seem to last all that long- most of mine broke/leaked within a month.

Short they only release heat for 30-45 minutes. Enough to shovel, but not that long

storage They do not STAY liquid; whether mine just get bumped in storage, or they somehow age; I I left it and came back a few months later, they were all crystallized, and had to be heated to use-

Bad QC- when I bought them, I would buy 3 or 4 at a time- they never maintained temp the same between each batch-

#248054 - 07/06/12 04:04 PM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: Alex]
Treeseeker Offline

Loc: California
I'm not sure I understand. After boiling it starts generating heat immediately? If so, it seems like it wouldn't be much more useful than a hot water bottle. I guess it is an exothermic reaction which would presumably put out more heat than a hot water bottle.

But you can't get heat on demand later as with other hand-warmers.

I still use one of those metal hand-warmers that use lighter fluid that I have had for about 40 years.

#248055 - 07/06/12 04:04 PM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: Alex]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

That tech has been around for over 20 years. Never seemed to get beyond the problems Cranston listed. Not worth the weight or hassle to me.

#248056 - 07/06/12 04:16 PM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: Treeseeker]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
Originally Posted By: Treeseeker
I'm not sure I understand. After boiling it starts generating heat immediately? If so, it seems like it wouldn't be much more useful than a hot water bottle. I guess it is an exothermic reaction which would presumably put out more heat than a hot water bottle.

But you can't get heat on demand later as with other hand-warmers.

I still use one of those metal hand-warmers that use lighter fluid that I have had for about 40 years.

No- There is a little disc inside that you have to flex to start the reaction; it does not start immediately.

if i leave them for a few weeks< no problem> if i check in a few months, Most of them are crystallized- not sure if a time issue or a kid issue.... lol. In either case, the plastic melts, the plastic leaks.. nice gimmick, not read for real time....

#248075 - 07/07/12 12:08 AM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: Alex]
LaLine Offline
Stranger

Loc: Utah
Here's a fun way to re-purpose the ones that start leaking.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D1PDE5OawuI

#248212 - 07/09/12 04:37 PM Re: HEAT WAVE Instant Reusable Heat Packs [Re: LCranston]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Originally Posted By: LCranston
I have used several of these-

Plusses
reusable
cheap

minuses
EASY TO BREAK- I try to be careful, but the plastic does not seem to last all that long- most of mine broke/leaked within a month.

Short they only release heat for 30-45 minutes. Enough to shovel, but not that long

storage They do not STAY liquid; whether mine just get bumped in storage, or they somehow age; I I left it and came back a few months later, they were all crystallized, and had to be heated to use-

Bad QC- when I bought them, I would buy 3 or 4 at a time- they never maintained temp the same between each batch-

Very helpful review, LCranston, thanks. It looks like these are not marketed for camping for a reason - not sturdy enough for a typical field abuse.

For the problems mentioned above:
  • the Russian model seems to be better as it is able to generate heat for 2-4 hours (when used under clothing and in the sleeping bag).
  • The plastic on those looks beige instead of blue, and holds well at -20 C (-4F)
  • The noted spontaneous crystallization after prolonged storage time is typical for any saturated solution of salts. To prevent that you have to shake the solution periodically.

It looks like somewhat different brands to me.
Anyway, just ordered one for testing and in hope to improve some of its properties, because infinite reusability is really very appealing to me. Going to try ordering the Russian model to compare.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 118 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.