Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#214966 - 01/15/11 04:59 AM Magnetic Pole Shift
LED Offline
Veteran

I'm sure most of you heard about this story. Tampa, FL airport runways needed repainting to align with the shifting pole. I knew the poles moved, but 40 miles a year is surprising. There's an interesting science friday interview on NPR about it.

Quote:

Prof. MERRILL: ...to know that that north magnetic pole was actually traveling southward between 1800 and 1850. It then turned around and started going northward. And as you mentioned, Ira, it is accelerating to the north today.

FLATOW: It's accelerating?

Prof. MERRILL: Yeah. It's been going faster. In fact, at the turn of the century, it was going about 30 miles a year. Now, it's about, as you mentioned, about 40 miles a year.

FLATOW: Wow. I didn't realize that. I thought maybe it was just this constant velocity (unintelligible).

Prof. MERRILL: But it may slow down...

FLATOW: Yeah.

Prof. MERRILL: ...in the next 10 years, and go in an entirely different direction. We don't know.

#214977 - 01/15/11 03:09 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: LED]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
I would surmise the poles are shifting based on "wobbulation" of the Earth about its axis. Some call it precession if I remember right.

#214978 - 01/15/11 03:14 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: LED]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
It's more proof of global warming, O ye doubters!

Seriously though, I don't think they know why the magnetic pole shifts around much less why the polarity would suddenly reverse as apparently it has done several times over history.

HJ

#215103 - 01/17/11 03:16 AM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: LED]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Loc: St. Petersburg, Florida
HJ,

In fact we know quite a bit about polar wandering and polar shift. MoBOB was somewhat correct, precession does have something to do with earth movement, but that movement is much slower than the wobble introduced by the fact that the earth is a slow gyroscope (think of a top as it slows down). The convection cells in the outer core (where the magnetic field is produced) are also wobbling, not necessarily in the same sense. The motion of the two of them together might be in sync (slow polar wandering) or out of sync (fast).

As for the reversals, they are probably not sudden - at least in human terms - but take several thousand years (if some modelers are correct, we might be in the beginning of one) and once again are introduced by changes in the circulation of the outer core.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#215135 - 01/17/11 06:01 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
HJ,

In fact we know quite a bit about polar wandering and polar shift. MoBOB was somewhat correct, precession does have something to do with earth movement, but that movement is much slower than the wobble introduced by the fact that the earth is a slow gyroscope (think of a top as it slows down). The convection cells in the outer core (where the magnetic field is produced) are also wobbling, not necessarily in the same sense. The motion of the two of them together might be in sync (slow polar wandering) or out of sync (fast).

As for the reversals, they are probably not sudden - at least in human terms - but take several thousand years (if some modelers are correct, we might be in the beginning of one) and once again are introduced by changes in the circulation of the outer core.

Respectfully,

Jerry
Hmmm. Well, OK, kind of.

We do know quite a bit about the axial tilt of the earth and the wobble thereof.

What I don't think we know well is the relationship between the wobble of the geographic pole and the changing position of the magnetic pole. The two probably do have a relationship, but I have yet to see a well articulated explanation of exactly how they are related.

I think we are more reactive than predictive with respect to the changing position of the magnetic pole. We can observe and correct, we can establish general easterly and westerly trends, but we can't always predict where the magnetic pole will be with the kind of precision we can with, say, the positions of the planets or other heavenly objects. My understanding is that we can't even begin to predict the movements of the magnetic pole with anything approaching that level of precision.

Hope that clarifies what I meant in my previous post.

HJ

#215146 - 01/17/11 08:31 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: LED]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

HJ,

My description may be a little short, for a better introduction and some good links, please see:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/29dec_magneticfield.html

Gary Glatzmer and Paul Roberts (UC Santa Cruz) are among the leaders in this area.

Respectfully,

Jerry

#215148 - 01/17/11 08:57 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: JerryFountain]
Bill_Mead Offline

Loc: Tarpon Springs,Florida
Originally Posted By: JerryFountain
HJ,

My description may be a little short, for a better introduction and some good links, please see:

http://www.nasa.gov/vision/earth/lookingatearth/29dec_magneticfield.html

Gary Glatzmer and Paul Roberts (UC Santa Cruz) are among the leaders in this area.

Respectfully,

Jerry

Good Info, thanks for sharing.

#215156 - 01/17/11 10:53 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: JerryFountain]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Ah, thank you. The science has progressed further than I knew.

They still can't predict with precision, but at least they have a general model for what's going on.

Did you guys catch that diagram with multiple north poles and multiple south poles? That might make land nav just a little more complicated.

HJ

#215228 - 01/18/11 08:10 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: Hikin_Jim]
JerryFountain Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: Hikin_Jim

Did you guys catch that diagram with multiple north poles and multiple south poles? That might make land nav just a little more complicated.

HJ

And in only a few centuries it COULD happen!! Stand by for further information (but don't hold your breath ;-).

The best,

Jerry

#246287 - 05/25/12 03:21 PM Re: Magnetic Pole Shift [Re: LED]
MartinGulasis Offline
Stranger

I read some interesting information about the magnetic pole shift here Planet Shifting.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Eugene), 546 Guests and 1 Spider online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.