Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#244082 - 03/30/12 04:38 PM Spring: knee-deep in salad!
dweste Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Central California
Spring is a great time to learn a few wild plants. In central California we are literally knee-deep in vitamin and mineral rich salad plants everywhere in the wild - tasty, too!

#244086 - 03/30/12 05:20 PM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: dweste]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Wild edibles is something that scares me but I think you're right dweste, when there's so much popping up around us it seems like a great time to learn. If only Blast was an Ontario boy!

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#244123 - 03/30/12 09:53 PM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: bacpacjac]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
The weather here was beautiful for a while, but now it has gone back down to nearly freezing. I'm not sure what it will do to the plants this year, as many of them were already starting to bud/bloom.

One of the places I like to hike has what appears to be a patch of wild dewberries. I haven't tried them yet, as I'm not exactly an expert in wild edibles, but I would like to bring some home for closer examination. Hopefully they'll still be plentiful in summer, when they start to ripen.

#244127 - 03/30/12 10:51 PM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: dweste]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Great topic! I love it. One that I am noticing a lot in my yard is weeds! Dandelion greens and broad-leaf plantain, specifically. Also, Kudzu is rampant in my area (eastern nc), and from my understanding it is also edible.

And I just found some strawberries growing in my backyard! Looks like someone threw a pot of them out (previous tenant?) and now they are growing. smile I never even new they came back every year. I hope the deer don't gobble them all up.

~Marion C. Garretty

#244136 - 03/31/12 01:58 AM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: Krista]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Krista

And I just found some strawberries growing in my backyard! Looks like someone threw a pot of them out (previous tenant?) and now they are growing. smile I never even new they came back every year. I hope the deer don't gobble them all up.

Why can't I have a little of either of that kind of luck? (Throwing something down casually and having it grow or finding lucious wild edibles like strawberries in my area.) Dandelions we have. My goal this year is to learn to identify more wild edibles around here and also to use the glorious dandelion in my cooking.

Thanks for the prod, Krista!

#244147 - 03/31/12 03:13 AM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: dweste]
Krista Offline

Loc: North Carolina
Bacpacjac- The berries are ironic, because I've tried to grow them several times, each was a dismal failure. Now, I'm scared to even LOOK at the ones in my yard, I don't want to jinx them. But I am going to have to at least put a little mini fence around them, or the grass cutter guys are gonna get them! lol. Hopefully my caring for them doesn't doom them!

~Marion C. Garretty

#244150 - 03/31/12 03:58 AM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: Krista]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
Funny, that's how it usually works for me. If I really try to grow something, it turns out terribly. Whereas, stuff I've grown accidentally or just left alone, seem to turn out great.

One year I tossed a handful of pumpkin seeds out in the yard for the squirrels to eat and the next thing I knew I had a big pumpkin patch on the side of the house with a couple of nice looking pumpkins! A couple years later I tried planting some pumpkin seeds just to see if I could duplicate my earlier success, and all I got was a single defective looking pumpkin. crazy

#244160 - 03/31/12 10:38 AM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: Paul810]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Funny, we must have the same gardening gene. Where I live, blackberry bushes are pesky weeds. I've got a patch out in the yard that I leave alone and just harvest - nothing wrong with my harvesting gene.

#244162 - 03/31/12 12:49 PM Re: Spring: knee-deep in salad! [Re: Krista]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: Krista
Bacpacjac- The berries are ironic, because I've tried to grow them several times, each was a dismal failure. Now, I'm scared to even LOOK at the ones in my yard, I don't want to jinx them. But I am going to have to at least put a little mini fence around them, or the grass cutter guys are gonna get them! lol. Hopefully my caring for them doesn't doom them!

LOL! It sounds like we've got a lot in common.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.