Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#243112 - 03/14/12 12:31 PM Make water out of thin air
Bingley Offline
Veteran

Interesting invention for the military. Wonder when a civilian version would come along.

http://www.reuters.com/video/2012/03/06/israeli-device-takes-the-thirst-out-of-w?videoId=231282551

#243118 - 03/14/12 03:05 PM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: Bingley]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
I wonder about the energy consumption of that thingy? Drawing water from (dry desert) air is entirely possible, but requires lots of energy.

#243119 - 03/14/12 03:25 PM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: MostlyHarmless]
ILBob Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Northern IL
It appears to be a run of the mill condenser. It probably just exchanges the need to carry water into a battle zone with a need to carry more fuel.

Bob

#243125 - 03/14/12 04:15 PM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: ILBob]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
Originally Posted By: ILBob
It probably just exchanges the need to carry water into a battle zone with a need to carry more fuel.

I doubt that. That would defeat the whole purpose. The US DoD has also been pushing into "green" technologies so that remote troops and outposts don't require lengthy and vulnerable supply trains. For example, using solar panels to power lights, radio equipment, battery chargers and other electronics so that fuel for generators don't have to continually be sent out to them.

There are already civilian products out there that condense water from air. Never tried them, but obviously, the amount of water generated will depend highly on the moisture content of the air. They also sell them with quite small solar arrays that reportedly power them just fine, for the ultimate off-grid water source without having to be near a water source.

#243126 - 03/14/12 04:29 PM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: Arney]
thseng Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NW NJ
It is essentially a conventional dehumidifier.

While military applications actually may be one of the few areas where some "green" technologies like PV solar could be truely appropriate, I don't see any solar panels on those tanks. I haven't run the numbers based on their stated water output, but to run a smallish compressor you'd need at least a few square meters of panel.

One sniper (or "suicide rock thrower") takes out your water source.

However, there is still an advantage of having the option to convert diesel fuel into water.

"Never trust and engineer who doesn't carry a pocketknife."

#243128 - 03/14/12 05:15 PM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: Bingley]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
IIRC, the Long Range Desert Group and other Rat Patrol units like Sterling's Special Air Service operating in the North African desert in WWII had condensers attached to the tail pipes of their vehicles to provide water.... all hydro carbons produce carbon dioxide and water as combustion products...

#243176 - 03/15/12 11:20 AM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: ILBob]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
Originally Posted By: ILBob
It appears to be a run of the mill condenser. It probably just exchanges the need to carry water into a battle zone with a need to carry more fuel.

Exactly. But when you have to supply a battle tank with diesel, which would have between one and two thousand horsepower engines, the additional diesel required to produce water is probably not that very significant.

Military logistics is a nightmare. If you can remove one item (water) from the logistic supply chain the benefit would probably far outweight the additional supply of diesel needed.

#243180 - 03/15/12 11:56 AM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: Bingley]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Pretty much it's just an AC unit. I'm surprised it wasn't done 30 years ago.

#243222 - 03/16/12 12:46 PM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: Bingley]
adam2 Offline
Addict

Loc: Somerset UK
Such devices have been marketed in the UK and IMHO are verging on a con trick.
They are indeed based on conventional air conditioning/dehumidifying technology.
The air is cooled in order that the moisture will condense, this requires considerable energy input relative to the volume of water produced.
If grid powered the idea is essientialy pointless as any disaster is liable to interupt grid power.

PV power is certainly possible, but would be a substantial investement. The power consumption for the smallest unit is several hundred watts, implying thousands of $/£ to PV power it.

Any such complicated technology is liable to failure, making at least one spare advisable.

Possibly worthwhile for military use in arid regions, but most unlikely to be viable for civilian use.
Rainwater capture is much lower technology for domestic use, with a great deal of storage so as to ride through any abnormaly dry years.

#243342 - 03/18/12 05:42 PM Re: Make water out of thin air [Re: adam2]
armageddon_aviator Offline

Loc: Israel
Give those guys a bit of credit....

The Israeli military industries rank among the most technologically advanced in the world.

They have designed and produced the UZI sub-machine gun, the Python III air to air missile, the Merkava IV Main Battle Tank, the Jericho II ICBM ( with nuclear warheads ), the Amos spy satellites, the amazing Arrow anti missile rocket, the Iron Dome system, the Wind Jacket ( Trophy) APC protection system, etc....

Israel was the first country to manufacture and use UAV's for intelligence gathering ( in the 70's ).

You really think that the Department of Defense is going to purchase some useless system for billions of dollars ?

I served in a tank unit. Water is DEFINITELY an issue when your unit deploys in hot climates.

The tank, in such climatic conditions, must be air conditionned - it is not a matter of luxury or comfort - it's a matter of survival.

Without an adequate air conditionning system, the temperature inside a tank ( summer time in the Middle East ) can reach 60 C - this has a very negative effect on crew performance and endurance ( to say the least ).

Since you need to cool the tank anyway ( more fuel required to power the AC ) - why not produce a steady supply of quality drinking water at the same time ?

The unit is Milspec - rugged, dependable and reliable.

If required to deploy with a mechanized unit, I would love to have such a system.

Edited by armageddon_aviator (03/18/12 06:24 PM)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.