Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#234892 - 11/01/11 05:08 AM Snow in October? Not here (at least until now).
Mark_M Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: New Jersey
2AM and we've been without utility power for over 55 hours. The estimate is for power to be restored by Thursday, but JCP&L, my power company, doesn't have a good track record for quick repairs.

This October Winter Storm is unprecedented in our area. The quantity of snow -- over 12" in my area -- would have been inconvenient, but because the trees haven't shed even half their leaves yet that made it catastrophic. Huge branches and entire trees are down all over the place, taking wires down with them. More than 90% of my town is still without power and many roads are still closed, even though the snow melted off the blacktop due to today's warmer temperatures. Over half a million homes lost power, and 200,000 are still off the grid.

Like many I poo-pooed the weather forecasts. Even if they came true, (which they did and more), we've had worse snow before without major incident. What I didn't factor in, because I had no previous experience, was how the leaves would catch the snow and cause so much damage.

But all is well at the moment. My default preparations, with some minor exceptions, are working out reasonably well.

Lessons Learned:
  1. Flashlights and Lanterns, with lots of extra batteries. Fortunately, as a flashoholic, I'm never more than a few steps from a flashlight wherever I go. I like the idea of having several cheap lights to give away to others, but I doubt I'd carry the extra bulk. I'm sorry, but I am not loaning out one of my good flashlights or pricy gear to a stranger.
  2. A battery-operated radio is an absolute necessity. Fortunately, I have two battery-operated and one solar/crank radio.
  3. Maintain your generators, and be cautious about lending them (or other critical gear) out. I loaned a fellow Jeep club member my 6000W generator after Irene and wasn't really worried about getting it back until Thanksgiving, when the traditional snow season starts. My 2000W generator cannot requires careful consideration as to what items I power-on to avoid overloading. This generator also required a lot of effort to get running because I hadn't done maintenance in months.
  4. Prepare your house for your generator. Having never gone through an extended outage, my plan involved running extension cords, tapping receptacles into hard-wired appliances such as my boiler and septic pump, etc. Aside from having the hazard of lots of extension cords, some fed off another, I had to keep unplugging and plugging different ones in to stay within the generator's capacity. Today I replaced that all by connecting a suicide cord from the generator to the breaker box (after shutting-off the main and unnecessary circuits). The term "suicide cord" is quite appropriate, and a new sub-panel with transfer switch will be installed as soon as possible after things normalize.
  5. A smartphone with Internet tethering provides back-up communications, but when everyone else has the same idea things can slow down to a crawl. Fortunately, by the time I got my generator hooked-up to the panel my FIOS Internet and TV was already back up and running.
  6. Facebook can be helpful in many ways. We shared info about road and store closings, store stock levels for critical items, and various other tidbits. A friend from out-of-state helped me hook my generator up to the panel after reading my Facebook status worrying about my septic pump.
  7. An inexpensive ($45) clamp-on ammeter is a very useful tool for determining how much of a load each device puts on your generator so you can avoid overloads.
  8. If you need propane (residential or canisters), keep a good supply on-hand. I'd used-up all but four 1-lb canisters on recent camping trips, and replacements are proving to be elusive at the moment. If you use bulk containers, make sure you always have at least one full spare at all times.
  9. Help and be helped. I ran to the mall and picked-up a neighbor's daughter and friends who were stuck in the snow. I helped several of my neighbors temporarily connect their boilers and septic pumps to their generator, supplying tools and parts/wire in some cases. One family didn't know they could disconnect their garage door opener, so I showed them how. I setup an outlet strip in my garage so neighbors without generators could recharge their phones. I winched trees out of driveways and, in one case, off of a pickup truck. In return I got forgiveness from my next-door neighbor for the tire tracks in their front yard (my Jeep slipped sideways while trying to get out of my steep driveway, and I had to back into their yard to recover), help shoveling my driveway, walk and stairs, and a promise to share propane if my limited supply ran out.
  10. If you wait for the flakes to start falling before heading to the store, expect slim pickings. If you wait for the power to go out first, expect to find nothing.

#234895 - 11/01/11 07:14 AM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
The good thing about events like this is they give neighbors an opportunity to be neighbors. grin Sounds like you've got some good folks around you. I hope the utilities get things fixed for you soon.

#234903 - 11/01/11 12:39 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
Lessons Learned:

Very nice report, thank you!

#234904 - 11/01/11 12:45 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Thanks, it's always good to learn from the experience of others. Is your "fellow Jeep club member" enjoying the use of your 6kW generator or do you have plans to get it back?

#234907 - 11/01/11 02:21 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC

Nice account of your ongoing experience, thanks.

Odds are you'll be benefitting more than once this winter from the lessons learned in this episode.

#234908 - 11/01/11 02:28 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
AKSAR Offline
Veteran

Loc: Alaska
Originally Posted By: Mark_M
..... The quantity of snow -- over 12" in my area -- would have been inconvenient, but because the trees haven't shed even half their leaves yet that made it catastrophic. Huge branches and entire trees are down all over the place, taking wires down with them. .....

Thanks for the report and good suggestions. As one might expect, snow in Anchorage is a regular occurence, and usually not too big a deal. However, some years back we had a similar very early heavy snowfall, with leaves still on the trees, with similar results. Lots of trees and branches down, and lots of power outages.

#234914 - 11/01/11 04:24 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
so far so good in Minneapolis but a good reminder to replace the stove fuel i used up over the summer.

#234919 - 11/01/11 04:46 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
nice report... I routinely refill my 1# propane bottles from a bulk 25# tank...put the bottles in the freezer for a day or two, refill outdoors away from flame, invert 25# bottle..you can get a pretty good amount of liquid in from a new bulk tank... check for leaks..if the Schrader valve is leaking, just put it into the appliance and see if it doesn't seal...

#234920 - 11/01/11 05:05 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
Finn Offline

Loc: Colonial Heights, VA
Being from the Midwest originally, I know the scenario too well and have learned also. Made Hurricane Irene easier for me.
Thanks for your report!

Finn

#234927 - 11/01/11 05:36 PM Re: Snow in October? Not here (at least until now). [Re: Mark_M]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
Thanks for the report Mark. Glad to hear that you're doing alright through it all. Things never go perfectly but it sounds like you've done pretty well.

The pics and stories about your Jeep are making me want my truck back even before the snow starts here. frown

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 596 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.