Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#233352 - 10/07/11 06:21 PM Where you store your car kit ...
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
One thing I try to be careful about is making sure my car kit remains accessible.

When packing for a trip, be it camping or otherwise, I always take out my car kit, load up the truck and lastly put the kit back in so that its easily accessible. I figure it's silly to have it buried if and when I actually needed it.

This summer I proved this is not the best plan with my current vehicle. I was out camping with the family for a few days and when packing up I followed this same routine. Packed up all the gear making sure the kit was right at the back near the hatch and closed everything up.

Keep in mind that with my family a fully packed cargo area is literally floor to roof & packed tight smile.

We all hopped in, ready to go, but the truck wouldn't start. Turns out the wonderful new feature of lighting the interior every time the vehicle was accessed drained the battery so I wasn't going anywhere.

My wife & son went over to a neighbouring camp site to ask for help while I went to get my jumper cables.

This is when I found out that my rear hatch can only be accessed when the vehicle has power. My trying to start the engine had drained the last of the juice so the electronic latch would not open.

My kit, jumper cables and all, were effectively inaccessible.

Our neighbouring camper was able to help & had cables of his own so this was really a no harm, no foul type of situation. However I did learn something useful which will help ensure my car kit is kept somewhere where it can be accessed even in the case of a dead battery.

#233353 - 10/07/11 06:27 PM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: USA
I've added a 12 volt jumpstarter to both cars. Imagine your chagrin if you had one of those but it was inaccessible due to power loss.

#233354 - 10/07/11 06:39 PM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: chaosmagnet]
Denis Offline
Addict

Loc: Calgary, AB
Originally Posted By: chaosmagnet
I've added a 12 volt jumpstarter to both cars. Imagine your chagrin if you had one of those but it was inaccessible due to power loss.

That would not have been fun ... I likely could have got at it but not without some serious effort. I definitely would have been looking for help before trying to unpack/dig through to it.

Actually, this situation has me thinking about picking up one of those portable jump starters for this vehicle; a couple days earlier we were the only people in this campground.

#233356 - 10/07/11 08:33 PM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: Denis]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

My favorite one is Costco's. 18Ah battery, jumpstarter, area light, compressor, charges from house current and won't overcharge from that source (the manual says, though, to be careful not to overcharge it from 12V sources). I've used it several times instead of dragging out my jumper cables. And I can run my amateur HT or my cellphone off of it for at least a week continuously.

No affiliation other than a Costco membership.

#233360 - 10/07/11 09:07 PM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: Denis]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
A flat tire will induce them same stress when it's buried in the bottom of the trunk.

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#233362 - 10/07/11 09:30 PM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: bacpacjac]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Sometimes there is too much electronic gadgetry. I would love to have a manual alternative for windows, but I am sure it would add too much to the price. Nothing like a nice simple, key operated lock.

#233364 - 10/07/11 09:49 PM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: hikermor]
bacpacjac Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Ontario, Canada
Originally Posted By: hikermor
Sometimes there is too much electronic gadgetry. I would love to have a manual alternative for windows, but I am sure it would add too much to the price. Nothing like a nice simple, key operated lock.

One of the many reasons i love my 1989 Honda Civic. Manual windows, doors, et ... Older, cheaper, better?

You can find me on YouTube here:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT9fpZEy5XSWkYy7sgz-mSA

#233372 - 10/07/11 11:32 PM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: Denis]
RayW Offline
Addict

Loc: Orlando, FL
One of my cars suffers from the no power no trunk release malady. But I can pull the divider out from between the passenger compartment and the trunk. But it is also the car that I won't jump start because of all of the electronic gadgetry on it, I'm way to chicken. So I don't even carry cables with it. Just hope that if it has a dead battery that my cell phone is getting a signal.

But as a warning some new cars advise against jump staring because you can damage expensive parts of the electronic gadgetry. Some cars also have unique jump starting instructions that need to be followed to keep from damaging the electronics. So read the owners manual before you jump start your car.

#233374 - 10/08/11 12:57 AM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: ]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
You'd think that it would be mandatory since power windows die the moment you crash your car into water. Having a manual option to "roll down the window" would certainly save lives, I think. Rolling them down as you're sinking beats having to wait for the car to fill, equalize and then open the door if you can.

On a Mythbusters episode we learned that electric windows can stay working for a minute or more after a car hits the water. This isn't something I'm willing to test with my car, or with my body in the absence of SCUBA gear and a safety diver.

#233376 - 10/08/11 01:03 AM Re: Where you store your car kit ... [Re: RayW]
chaosmagnet Offline
Sheriff
Carpal Tunnel

Originally Posted By: RayW
But as a warning some new cars advise against jump staring because you can damage expensive parts of the electronic gadgetry.

Read the manual, of course, before jump starting a car. With that said, I've been told that the headlights serve as a redneck surge suppressor during jump starts. I've jumped dozens of cars and never had a problem using this technique.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (NAro), 531 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.