Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#230804 - 08/28/11 03:37 AM A simple pocketknife
LED Offline
Veteran

A tragic event that could have been prevented with a simple pocket knife. I'm speechless.

Quote:

Still, residents were struggling with the tragedy that unfolded before their eyes Friday evening, just north of York Boulevard, when an SUV rear-ended a stopped Nissan Altima, causing it to burst into flames. Inside the burning vehicle was an 11-month-old girl, strapped into her car seat. Her mother, unable to reach her amid the smoke and flames, screamed for help.

Salvador Martinez, 36, was in his backyard installing a fly trap when he heard the crash, then the screams. He ran toward the wreck — much as he has done ever since he was a boy growing up in the neighborhood. When he reached the car he saw a curly-haired girl in the back seat.

"My only goal was to get her out," Martinez said.

As motorists sat paralyzed in their cars, he tried to open the passenger's side door, but it was jammed. Someone broke the window with a baton and Martinez reached inside and yanked on the girl's car seat. But the seat wouldn't budge.

Heat seared his arms and face. He could see flames dancing inside the car, near the hand brake, inches from the girl's feet.

His neighbors surrounded the scene, their faces desperate.

Martinez tried to unbuckle the girl's safety belt, but it burned his hands.

"I need scissors! I need a knife!" he yelled at his neighbors.

Someone in the crowd raced to get one, but by the time it arrived, it was too late, Martinez said. The car was engulfed in flames that pushed the would-be rescuers back.

LA Times article

#230812 - 08/28/11 04:35 AM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: LED]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
Wow, what a terrible and heartbreaking situation. Indeed, if anyone on the scene would have been carrying a knife the little child might have been saved.

#230814 - 08/28/11 04:44 AM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: LED]
Frisket Offline
Addict

This is when EDC'ing A Knife Becomes a responsibility and not just a simple convenience. Keeping a Knife Sharp and well maintained becomes more of a reality and learning how to properly operate it is key.

#230816 - 08/28/11 04:56 AM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: LED]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
A crowd of people and NO ONE had a knife?

Sue

#230819 - 08/28/11 08:29 AM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: LED]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I dunno. Even a pocket knife may not have helped. The whole point of a car seat is to keep the kid IN the seat.

I can barely take a kid out when they're able to help me. Probably faster to cut the entire back seat out.

#230824 - 08/28/11 11:43 AM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: MDinana]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Ever since a similar event (with no fire) had a child trapped in the back of a car following an accident, I have kept a fully serrated Spyderco rescue type knife in the console of my truck (in addition to my EDC). The knife there now is the Spyderco Assist 1 complete with glass breaker, and a Benchmade Rescue Hook.

This is an unfortunately sad story, but that's the consequence of a society where knives are viewed as weapons rather than as tools.

#230829 - 08/28/11 12:32 PM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: LED]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Very sad. Some of the problem relates to it not being politically correct to carry a knife anymore. I do anyway, but I'm always concerned that I may need to go into a "secure" building where I need to make sure I leave the knife in my car. Admittedly, some days when I know I will need to be in such a a building, I simply leave it at home to avoid the hassle.

Other cases in point involve over-zealous prosecution in NYC involving simple pocket knives.

People just are not carrying knives the way they used to and, unfortunately, this poor child died for want of one.

#230833 - 08/28/11 01:11 PM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: LED]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
in the past few years, we've had several occasions where older citizens have driven into retention ponds, some with fatal results...

ESEE Izula and spring loaded punch secured by a length of bicycle inner tube is an option for your vehicle

#230834 - 08/28/11 01:26 PM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: LED]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
While not PC, I have carried a knife of some type virtually every day of my adult life.

I've used them countless number of times to cut things for people, yet have never cut another person, nor wanted/had to.

People should wake up, realize most knives are tools and chill out on people carrying them.

#230835 - 08/28/11 01:38 PM Re: A simple pocketknife [Re: JBMat]
Jolt Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Maine
Originally Posted By: JBMat
While not PC, I have carried a knife of some type virtually every day of my adult life.

I've used them countless number of times to cut things for people, yet have never cut another person, nor wanted/had to.

People should wake up, realize most knives are tools and chill out on people carrying them.

Agreed. I carry a small SAK on my key chain and can't count the number of times it has come in handy for opening packaging, cutting string etc. for myself and others when out and about. Not sure how effective it would be for cutting a seatbelt though...maybe I should carry something a little heftier in addition. I do have one of those "ResQMe" tools in my car that has the seatbelt cutter and spring punch.

ETA: And I just don't get why it's not "PC"...growing up I never saw anything weird or scary about somebody carrying a pocket knife. Maybe that's because my dad always has so I never thought of it as anything other than a useful tool.

Edited by Jolt (08/28/11 01:40 PM)

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.