Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#228317 - 07/23/11 05:56 PM My hiking pole "kit"
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
A lot of people carry hiking sticks, some people opt for hiking poles. Sometimes used singularly, sometimes in pairs.

These are pictures of my own hiking stick with a few survival items attached as a just in case. Some people don't customize their stick, I do because it allows me to carry more items as part of my overall kit. The weight is concentrated nearer the handle than the tip which means I really don't notice the extra weight. I normally keep it in the SUV behind the back seat where it can be easily retrieved when wanted. I use a shock absorbing pole (Komperdell, I think). This particular pole is no longer made or at least I can't find it. Mine must be at least 10 years old. Nowadays most poles are made with form fitting foam handles; some are even bent for better ergonomics. Mine is much simpler and straight which I think is more versatile. After watching one of Ron Hood's videos about how he customized his wood walking stick, I got to thinking and started to customize mine.
Customized Hiking Stick

I currently have a removable knob on the top of the pole with threaded tip that can be used to attach a camera or binoculars, etc. and to use it as a stabilizing monopod. I've attached a geocaching medallion at the bottom of the handle. I really made a visual mess while doing it. The little brass nails weren't very secure so I added some hot melt glue to it -- it will be there forever.
Removable cork knob

I wrapped a bunch of construction grade duct tape under the handle. I don't know HOW much but it originally matched the diameter of the bottom flair of the foam handle. I've been consuming it for various jobs. As you can see in the picture the actual diameter of the pole in comparison so I'd guess about 4-5 metres left.
Duct tape wrap

I then have a large contractor grade plastic bag, which is several times heavier than ordinary garbage bags. I originally used 2 large garbage bags but when I wrapped the paracord around it, it abraded the plastic and made it more susceptible to tears and rips. In one of the pictures, it shows that the paracord began to unravel so I retied it after taking the picture. The 550 paracord is approx. 10-12 metres in length. I purchased spools of white, orange and woodland camo a while back and chose the camo for the pole. The paracord has to be wrapped tightly because of the tendency of the bag to shift up/down on the shaft.

Below the paracord, I wrapped about 15 metres of stainless steel wire. This replaced the previous version of 10 metres of brass wire. SS is stronger and more versatile for securing/tying while still quite usable for snares. At one time I had some plastic aquarium tubing (1 metre) around the wire but it was a issue trying to keep that secure around on the pole and I didn't want to wrap extra duct tape around it so I removed it. The tubing would be used as a sip tube for water. In the future, I might get some rubber tubing instead. This can be used as a sip tube plus because it stretches, it can be used to secure a bandage, tie things down or be used in a slingshot.
SS wire wrapping

The business end of the pole has a removable rubber tip that is used on ordinary floors while the carbide tip takes the brunt of the work. The extra large rubber basket comes in handy in muddy/marshy conditions. Sometimes the large size is a detriment as it catches while walking through tall weeds. A smaller basket might prove to be more useful.
Business end

Suggestions for improvements will be gladly accepted.

Edited by Roarmeister (07/23/11 06:36 PM)

#228331 - 07/23/11 08:22 PM Re: My hiking pole "kit" [Re: Roarmeister]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
I like different hiking sticks for different uses and occasions. Fixed poles are simpler, more reliable, but can be bulky and cumbersome when packing into boats, planes, and even some autos. When my wife and I were backpacking our child, the rule was that whoever was carrying the baby also had a strong, long, metal hiking staff that was super dependable - no locks to fail in that situation!

Collapsible sticks are versatile, especially usable as the poles for the evening's shelter, and they can be packed away easily. The pair I have is shock absorbing, but I believe that is an unnecessary feature that merely adds required weight (your bent elbow absorbs all the "shock"). I do wrap duct tape around the shaft, just below the handle. I have toyed with adding other components to the hiking staff, but a staff is not really "on body" gear, and one can be lost or misplaced all too easily.

My favorite, used for straightforward day hikes, is a stick with a nice ergonomic bend at the handle -light, simple, and rustic.

#228333 - 07/23/11 08:51 PM Re: My hiking pole "kit" [Re: Roarmeister]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Can't see the pictures without a facebook account.

#228340 - 07/24/11 02:03 AM Re: My hiking pole "kit" [Re: Russ]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
Good idea. Maybe make a larger "lanyard" hole in the knob where you can thread rubber tubing through. Tie off the ends and you hand a lanyard of sorts. But it replaces the copper tubing for water sipping and gives you the means to make a sling shot and/or a sling spear.

#228370 - 07/24/11 05:48 PM Re: My hiking pole "kit" [Re: Roarmeister]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
I will not use Facebook, o well.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 251 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.