Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#215256 - 01/19/11 01:23 AM SOTO torch lighter outdoor test
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

OK..this cold weather test is outside and not in my car.
we went out to the nature reserve that we monitor to make out the January report.we went in on snowshoes and found that we were just about the only one to use the park since we check last month.the temp was 24F,damp and over cast.

what i wanted to do was see if this pocket torch would light a pile of tinder without any starter material like a candle stub or dryer lint.this was a Xmas gift and i have fired it up just about every nite to see how long the disposable lighter that serves as a fuel supply would last and how many "clicks" it took to work--two or three does it--indoors..out side and carried in an outside jacket pocket it would not work,like all Gaz gizmos at below freezing.i put it in my shirt pocket and after a candy bar snack tried it again--

this time i got a blue flame in just a couple try's and got the nozzle down into the tinder pile.i used dry pine twigs because this would be the most common tinder up in canoe country..

and of course it worked.holding the flame right into the twigs they caught and burned.i could have used the dry pine needles that were around but i wanted to give it a try with as little starting material as possible and let the torch do the work.
after the wood burned for a bit and i could see the fire would have been large enough to make a real fire i put it out.

#215262 - 01/19/11 02:41 AM Re: SOTO torch lighter outdoor test [Re: CANOEDOGS]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Hey CANOEDOGS, I think I have the same lighter, it is like a mini-blowtorch? I use it to thaw-out frozen padlocks at work. Being butane it does not function well in the cold and I have to heat the lighter up inside my coat. Mike

#215273 - 01/19/11 04:37 AM Re: SOTO torch lighter outdoor test [Re: CANOEDOGS]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA
Mike..yup..a mini torch that throws out a blue flame.what i like is that to refill it all you need to do is replace the Scripto or other square shaped lighter,Bic won't fit.it would be a lot better to just have a spare lighter along than a can of butane like the other tank lighter i have.the warm up time to get it working was not too long,a few minutes in a shirt pocket under my jacket.

#215367 - 01/20/11 05:44 PM Re: SOTO torch lighter outdoor test [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I've owned one of those. You need to fiddle with the gas flow lever in order to obtain the perfect flow rate for reliable ignition. This is a problem specific to all lighters of this type.
Also: The boiling point of butane is -0.5C. So it is too cold where you are for the gas, which is under pressure in the lighter to vapourise. Carrying them in an inside pocket tends to "cure" that problem. If you do that, you should get around 10 - 15 seconds of flame. That is usually more than sufficent.

I actually carry a high end "bunsen burner" light with me. It pays to buy a good quality reliable unit. Under many circumstances they are a real lifesaver.

My prefered cold weather carry (for those who are interested):

Zippo.
Full sized ferro rod and/or a DOAN block.
"Bunsen burner" lighter.
R.E.I. or Lifeboat matches(6) and Choghlans waterproof matches in a G.I. Matchsafe.
Tinder Quick.
2 or more Esbit, Wetfire or trioxane cubes.
Petrolium Jelly and cotton wool balls.

That might look like over kill. It's not. It's a kit that is surprising small and gives you a lot of firelighting options.

Edited by Leigh_Ratcliffe (01/20/11 05:46 PM)
Edit Reason: spelling.

#215369 - 01/20/11 06:29 PM Re: SOTO torch lighter outdoor test [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Very interesting, CanoeDogs. I've been thinking about getting one of those. I've got a piezo electric Windmill torch lighter, but it's unreliable at altitude.

Leigh_Ratcliffe, do you have a photo of this Bunsen burner type lighter that you're talking about? I'm not sure that I'm familiar with that type.

HJ

#215388 - 01/21/11 11:51 AM Re: SOTO torch lighter outdoor test [Re: Hikin_Jim]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
This is the only link that I have been able to find:

http://www.google.co.uk/imgres?imgurl=http://media.firebox.com/pic/p334_big.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.firebox.com/product/334/Pocket-Blow-Torch&usg=__0_N7MdAmSzl05BaREtOFzs_FRoU=&h=700&w=700&sz=50&hl=en&start=317&zoom=1&tbnid=742XeNC-McGYiM:&tbnh=140&tbnw=140&ei=p385TYEv0ZqFB-O51KAK&prev=/images%3Fq%3Dblowtorch%2Blighter%26start%3D300%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26sa%3DN%26rlz%3D1T4HPND_enGB324GB324%26tbs%3Disch:1&um=1&itbs=1

This is the original model that every one imitates. I've had mine for over 10 years. In terms of build quality and reliability it's comparable to a zippo.

Also: On the original, the surround on the nozzle does not get hot in operation. It warms up to about 60 celcius and can infact be held with no discomfort. That is the best way to determine if it is an original. That and the build quality.

#215395 - 01/21/11 02:41 PM Re: SOTO torch lighter outdoor test [Re: CANOEDOGS]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
OK, thanks.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
2 registered (jds, NAro), 173 Guests and 112 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.