The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#213339 - 12/20/10 01:05 AM Flying in Africa
aardwolfe Offline
Old Hand

Loc: St. John's, Newfoundland
More precisely, in Kenya and parts of Sudan.

Two good friends of ours are leaving just after Christmas to work with Mission Aviation Fellowship (MAF) (www.maf.org) in Kenya. They are both experienced commercial pilots and have spent the last couple of years learning to fly bush planes in and out of remote jungle and mountain strips.

Does anyone have any tips on survival in that part of Africa? They've received extensive training on flying in the region, dealing with local politics, and what to do if they're kidnapped by terrorists, etc. I was thinking more specifically of the usual things we discuss.

For example, I have a couple of spare Mora knives - would it be advisable to donate these or would they be better off buying machetes locally?

I also would like to donate a spare Doug Ritter Pocket Survival Pack, still in the original packaging, but would it need to be customized for the east African location or is the stuff in it pretty much universal for all conditions?

What kind of sleeping bags, shelters, etc. would they need if stranded overnight, or for several nights? What could they expect in the way of Search and Rescue?

Can anyone recommend any good references on survival skills and equipment needed in this area?

They are limited in what they can take over, so my plan was to put together a small package and mail it to them overseas. Any inside info on what might be confiscated or seized?

I appreciate any feedback, especially informed opinions based on experience with the region.

Thanks in advance.

#213341 - 12/20/10 02:23 AM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Mosquito netting.

Water treatment.

Sue

#213345 - 12/20/10 06:08 AM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Aside from Malaria shots/AK-47 (if applicable),If You get the Doug Ritter PSK's,Get an Xtra one,So you may use it as a Demonstration/Training Module,& Make sure your Friends Know how to Use,Everything Contained in the Kit,& How to Un-pack it,Re-assemble it,Then Emphasize The Importance of Keeping that Kit on your person,At All Times!If I were to Travel that Region,I would wear Boxer Brief Underwear,& Stash the kit in the Fly of the Underwear.In lieu of a Machete,I would Prefer a Short Zulu Spear,It has proven itself on that Continent 1000's of yrs,Prior to the invention of the machete,Thereafter as Well! I Fortify my Doug Ritter-PSK's with 2 xtra TinderQuiks,10-MP-1 Tablets,6-Strike anywhere Matches dipped in wax,30' of 10lb. Spyderwyre(Fishing line),4-#12 Treble Hooks,4-#14 swivels,4-BB sinkers for fishing,As well as Bird/Animal snares!Nalgene Canteens with Tan Covers& Canteen cups,on a Tan Utility Belt would be awesome,As would a Few-5/16"x3" Ferro rods(Get xtras to hand out to the locals),dispersed amongst your person/canteen covers,Tan Clothing is Very Common,Stealthy if need be!Many,Many more Suggestions,But This is The Bare Minimus,I would Prefer,Personally!That area in particular,Is Extremely Volatile,Desperate! Add to the Fact,Humans are Very Low on the Foodchain in Most of Africa!You might want to check out the Consular General of Canada,As to How best to mail a Pkg to that Region,Without it being Pilfered/Stolen! Good Luck in Your Endeavours!

Edited by Richlacal (12/20/10 06:39 AM)

#213349 - 12/20/10 12:13 PM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I'd disagree with Rich on the weapons...
Yeah, malaria pills (not shots!) if needed in that part of the world. I'm sure that's being covered by whoever is sending them there.

Weather-appropriate clothing. Sunblock. Something for water - isn't that pretty arid?

#213352 - 12/20/10 01:35 PM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
LesSnyder Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: New Port Richey, Fla
naturally an EPIRB/PLB
quality multitool or Swiss Army knife
good lensatic compass
poncho and mosquito netting
machete
firesteel and backup
jungle hammock with cordage
good boots and sandals to allow feet to dry in camp
bandanna, brimmed hat, supplex nylon quick dry shirts (not fire retardant if that is a problem)
extensive FAK with good prescription antibiotics/antifungals and dental supplies... sterile sutures and syringes
self contained cook stove/metal pot
PSK with good signal mirror/whistle/pen flare
metal water bottle with Steripen/solar charger and back up pills
quality LED headlamp/batteries, quality LED hand held light
secure document pouch..
copy of birth certificate/passport/shot records
blood chit set up by MAF

#213354 - 12/20/10 02:17 PM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
Jesselp Offline
What's Next?
Enthusiast

Loc: New York
One suggestion I've often heard for people spending significant time in Africa is to bring along several sets of sealed hypodermic needles and syringes. Perhaps even an IV start kit. If you ever do need an injection, you can offer your own kit to at least ensure that the needle and syringe are clean. This needs to be done carefully, of course, so as not to raise the hackles of any drug cops you come across.

My experience traveling in Africa (West Africa, so somewhat different) is that the most important thing to bring is your patience, sense of humor, and a warm smile. Most people, in most places, are nice, and will help if asked.

Oh, and the sense of humor is key if you are taking Larium for malaria profilaxis. That stuff messes with you head!

#213365 - 12/20/10 09:08 PM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: Susan]
gonewiththewind Offline
Veteran

Originally Posted By: Susan
Mosquito netting.

Water treatment.

Sue

Totally agree with Susan. Having spent some time there, these are two things you will use a lot. Get plenty of water treatment supplies. Most of the area they are looking at is not cold, but some sort of emergency shelter/bivy would not be a bad idea.

#213377 - 12/21/10 04:42 AM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
I entertained myself earlier this year by reading a few classic books on African exploration including Stanley's How I found Livingston. One wilderness skill that still seems relevant to both 19th century explorers and someone stranded by an air crash is building a 'boma' -- which is a enclosure (essentially of thorny branches) that keeps you from becoming a meal at night.

I think any aircraft in Kenya should have the same sort of minimum supplies that bush aircraft use to be required to carry in Alaska -- notably including a rifle -- but otherwise modified for the warmer climate.

See the Alaskan and Canadian requirements elsewhere on this site: http://www.equipped.org/ak_cnda.htm

#213379 - 12/21/10 06:12 AM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
ChicagoCraig Offline

#213386 - 12/21/10 07:38 AM Re: Flying in Africa [Re: aardwolfe]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I'm gonna' try to be as Non-Political as Possible! I've spent some time in South Africa,Yes I know it's Alot Different than The Sudan & Kenya,But only because S.A. is Very used to the prescence of Embembe'(Pink skins) Sounds like Star Trek,Doesn't it?Anybody here,Hear of Darfur? Where in The Sudan,are any Christian Missionaries going to have Safe AirSpace to fly in The Sudan?Yes,I know this is getting a Very Sharp edge,So I'll stop there,& Let people google-The Sudan Northern Kenya I believe has a Very High Concentration of Refugees from Somalia,So Kenya has their hands full,& tolerance levels are at an extreme low! PLB/EPIRBS-If you happen to be Lucky enough to be Flying over the Indian Ocean,There is the possibility of rescue,due to The Higher than Normal flow of Naval vessels Concentrated in that area,because of ALOT of Piracy going on,at The present.Hey Art,you can jump in anytime,If you like! SAR? In Kenya/The Sudan,Highly Unlikely,though Cell phones are the most common form of Communicade in Africa,at present!All I can say is,People need to learn a bit of Geography,& I'm Not talking about Bearings either!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 614 Guests and 27 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.