Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#212542 - 12/07/10 01:55 AM historical Navy pyrotechnic distress signals
hunleyguy Offline
Stranger

Anyone know about Civil War era Navy distress signals? I'm researching "blue light" which was a pyrotechic signal used for generations before and after the War. Specifically, can anyone help me find out if a signal kit was stocked on US Navy lifeboats during the Civil War?

#212552 - 12/07/10 02:57 AM Re: historical Navy pyrotechnic distress signals [Re: hunleyguy]
Be_Prepared Offline
Addict

Loc: Massachusetts
There are some interesting points about military use of pyrotechnics here: http://www.usmilitariaforum.com/forums/lofiversion/index.php/t3640.html

- Ron

#212554 - 12/07/10 03:08 AM Re: historical Navy pyrotechnic distress signals [Re: Be_Prepared]
Yuccahead Offline

Loc: W. Texas
The above led me to this from the US Patent Office:
" Martha J. Coston perfected then patented her deceased husband's idea for a pyrotechnic flare. Coston's husband, a former naval scientist, died leaving behind only a rough sketch in a diary of plans for the flares. Martha developed the idea into an elaborate system of flares called Night Signals that allowed ships to communicate messages nocturnally. The U. S. Navy bought the patent rights to the flares. Coston's flares served as the basis of a system of communication that helped to save lives and to win battles. Martha credited her late husband with the first patent for the flares, but in 1871 she received a patent for an improvement exclusively her own. "

I didn't search for the patent but Ms. Coston does have a Wikipedia page:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martha_Coston

#212569 - 12/07/10 05:44 AM Re: historical Navy pyrotechnic distress signals [Re: hunleyguy]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've never made any great effort to look into that specific issue but my understanding, based primarily on reading a lot of historic accounts of period ships in distress, and my memory of the accounts, is that while some ships carried rockets for emergency signaling I can't remember any lifeboats carrying pyrotechnics. Lanterns in various forms, some of which may have had lenses or glass that were colored, get mentioned but I don't remember any lifeboats from the Civil War era using pyrotechnics.

<blockquote>from Robert Welcome, NZ. Edward Wilson Very invented a "new and useful improvement in Pyrotechnic signal cartridges...". US Patent 190263 dated 1 May 1877. Very is predated by one Benjamin Franklin Coston, but Coston's gun retained the flare & was really only an ignition device and the "gun" was waved at arms length. Very's gun discharged the flare in the way we know today. In a quirk of history, Coston's son actually invented the first aerial flare launching cartridge, but his mother, jealous of the invention, lobbied against it being accepted by the Navy. Therefore Very got the credit for inventing the pistol & cartridge. Very's invention was accepted in 1882 by the US Navy & by 1900 Very pistols & cartridges were in use throughout the world. </blockquote>

Above from:
http://www.diggerhistory.info/pages-weapons/signal-pistols.htm

http://www.radcliffe.edu/schles/exhibits/enterprisingwomen/builder/coston.html

No information if these hand-held flares were used on lifeboats. I sort of doubt if they were routinely kept on lifeboats as they were fairly new and likely expensive. Routine stocking of provisions and equipment on lifeboats didn't seem to be common until later.

There is also considerable ambiguity around what is meant by 'lifeboat'. The first lifeboats were rescue boats intended to be launched from shore, row through surf and weather, for the purposes of saving people on ships in distress. Lifeboat stations were fixtures along many hazardous shores.

It wasn't until much later that ships started carrying dedicated boats as a reserve means of keeping people afloat. Many ships had small boats for service and utility transport, and these would certainly be pressed into service if the ship was sinking, but, as far as I can tell, carrying boats as emergency equipment wasn't very common around the Civil War era.

I'm not sure any of this helps answer your question but maybe it will help stimulate a more complete answer form someone with more specialized knowledge.

#212615 - 12/08/10 01:41 AM Re: historical Navy pyrotechnic distress signals [Re: Art_in_FL]
hunleyguy Offline
Stranger

Thanks, Art et al. I was looking into the possibility that when the Confederate submarine sank the Union ship Housatonic in 1864, the "blue light" which was reportedly seen by one of the Housatonic's crewmen could have been coming from one of the ship's lifeboats. Don't know how many boats she would have been carrying; at least three were reported as being recovered by the rescuing vessels. "Blue light" was standard distress signal and would have been handy aboard the ship, but not sure if it was stocked on the ship's boats. The ship went down in about five minutes, and there may have not been time for the crew to bring blue lights from elsewhere in the ship to use in the boats. Some feel that the blue light was displayed by the Hunley to signify a successful mission, and others don't accept that explanation, so I was looking for an alternate source of the blue light. I appreciate your input.

Chris

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 504 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.