Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#204011 - 06/28/10 05:46 AM Looking for a good living off the land book
camerono Offline

Howdy Folks,

I have been reading reviews and searching book stores for a while now. I just can't seem to find the perfect book.

Can you point me in the right direction.

Looking for detailed information in an all inclusive book that covers things like making soap from hardwood lie and fat. Tanning hides, gardening basics with planting times harvesting and how to let crops go to "seed" and how to store those seeds for next season. How to properly dress out different large and small game. How to build permanent dwellings with tips and hints on using only what is locally available. What plants are edible and what wild plants are worth harvesting and what is not. How to store and preserve meat, fruit and vegetables with canning and beyond that to smoking, salting, drying etc.

Well I think that paints the picture pretty well.

Having put it in writing maybe it will take more than one book.

BOTTOM LINE: I want to have all of the information that our great, great grandparents took for granted on my book shelf so that If I ever need to know "how to" I will have the info in hard copy on hand.

Thanks in advance.

Cameron

#204012 - 06/28/10 06:36 AM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: camerono]
Phaedrus Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Big Sky Country
I'd like to see one book with all of that, too. Although it seems like a lot of expect a single source to deliver.

#204015 - 06/28/10 06:56 AM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: Phaedrus]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
Maybe an almanac from Mother Earth news or The SAS survival guide would cover alot of that,Good Luck !

#204016 - 06/28/10 08:35 AM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: Richlacal]
EMPnotImplyNuclear Offline
Enthusiast

I'm fairly certain such an encyclopedia doesn't exist yet.
I can't make specific book recommendations as word of mouth is usually how my family did it, and they traded furniture/tobacco/grapes/melons... and occasional angled fish, for soap smile

The word of mouth these days is to contact your local Cooperative Extension Service for recommendations, like say California Master Gardener Handbook

anyway, here is some mighty interesting and thought provoking free reading material I stumbled upon over the last year, for all scales , even some cool fringe

Sustainable Village Library
Village Science
Date Palm Cultivation
Sheep and goats for diverse products and profits
Livestock in Mixed Farming Systems of the Hindu Kush-Himalayas
A manual for the primary animal health care worker
The rabbit husbandry, health and production
Management of Waste from Animal Product Processing
Compendium on Post-harvest Operations
The technology of traditional milk products in developing countries
http://tinyfarmblog.com/
How can micro-farming possibly be as productive as claimed?
Food Security for the Future: individual prosperity, ecological salvation, endangered species rescue, conservation biology ~ they are all related.
Realities of Micro Farming
Lion Kuntz Step Pyramid farm city city idea
The First Book of Farming
Black Soldier Fly, White Magic
http://www.humanurehandbook.com/
Engineering, Separation and Recycling LLC On how to recycle food waste, manure and even human waste
Soap for the long run?
Moringa oleifera
http://www.backyardaquaponics.com/
Plastic Sheeting - A guide to the specification and use of plastic sheeting in humanitarian relief
PHILIPPINESBAYAWAN FISH SEED BANK
SEED MANAGEMENT BY SMALL-SCALE FARMERSIN GHANA AND ZAMBIA
Join The Hunt for Bees! grow some sunflowers, count bees, report
USDA Complete Guide to Home Canning, 2009 revision
NCHFP FAQ

this stuff my grandparents didn't even dream off (all dreams are about peppers, tomatos , melons *rimshot* and cheese :D)
Khan Academy 1400+ videos on YouTube covering everything from basic arithmetic and algebra to differential equations, physics, chemistry, biology and finance
http://www.bioenergylists.org/ for all kinds burning inventions

I dream of casting a giant pressure canner from soda cans, and powering it using an institutional rocket stove, and housing it sandbag shelter ...
sweet high pressure pyro dreams smile

#204032 - 06/28/10 03:13 PM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
T_Co Offline

Loc: Nebraska
I have a Readers Digiest Back To Basics - How to learn and enjoy traditional American Skills- that seems to cover what you were looking for. I am hanging onto it for the sheer fact that if you could only take one book with you to start a permanent dwelling from very little this covers alot of what you asked for and more. Googled HERE mine is the yellow edition.

#204036 - 06/28/10 04:58 PM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: T_Co]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
It isn't technically what you want, but Carla Emery's book, The Encyclopedia of Country Living (928 pages) can help you with the growing, skinning, butchering, smoking, cooking and preserving part of it.

Sue

#204038 - 06/28/10 05:24 PM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: EMPnotImplyNuclear]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
That's great! Thanks!

#204044 - 06/28/10 05:54 PM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: Alex]
camerono Offline

Sue, T_Co and EMPnotImplyNuclear,

Thanks so much. I am purchasing both the Readers Digest and Carla Emery's books. Will wade through the on line stuff and print out what is relevant.

Thanks and please add more if you know of another source.

Cameron

#204047 - 06/28/10 07:29 PM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: camerono]
ACuriousShade Offline
Stranger

Loc: ES
Not a book, but this website is a good source:

http://autonopedia.org/

#204049 - 06/28/10 08:23 PM Re: Looking for a good living off the land book [Re: ACuriousShade]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
+1 on Back to Basics. It's part of my bug in library.

Also, the government publishes a book about living on one acre of land. Seen it, tho not recently, at BAM (former employee, no financial ties, place sucks to work at). Search the web and you should find it. Will look after din-din.

Edited by JBMat (06/28/10 08:26 PM)
Edit Reason: Remembered some stuff

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.