Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#203206 - 06/10/10 09:10 PM E.M.T shears what do you think.
litlefoot01 Offline

Loc: NY
I heard from some people that EMT shears are easy to break/
twist and bend. in your travels have you found this happens
if so why?. or are they good quality. I appreciate your coments
and questions.

Litlefoot01

#203207 - 06/10/10 09:40 PM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: litlefoot01]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
They are disposable items. I've never bent a pair, but I can see how you could if you abuse them
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#203208 - 06/10/10 09:43 PM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: litlefoot01]
tiredmedic Offline
Stranger

Most are one shot. Cheap and disposable. Better to toss them than decon them. When I first got in the field the opposite was true, but when you think of it , would you really trust that they were clean after a really bloody use.
There is a company that makes an excellent shear for EMS but they are between 100 and 200 dollars US.So I just use the cheapos.
Many can be reused with a little TLC.Any are fine with light use ,just the heavy stuff that dulls the edges and loosens the rivet.
Just My opinion.

#203209 - 06/10/10 09:48 PM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: litlefoot01]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I've never known EMT shear to bend and break. I suppose if you bought the cheapest discount models and then compounded the error by using them as tin snips, something some advertisers have implied is standard practice, some might fail to work efficiently for long.

Mid-priced units made by reputable companies seem to hold up well to all sorts of abuse and last a long time. Years if you only cut bandages, tape and clothes.

#203216 - 06/10/10 11:27 PM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: Art_in_FL]
roberttheiii Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Connecticut, USA
I'm not medical professional, but we have a pair of EMT shears that have been kicking around my mother's house since the 1980s. She showed me a flashy pair of kitchen shears she paid more than I'll say for, and bragged how they cut a penny, I dug into the drawer, pulled out the loose riveted old shears and cut a penny in half. Not that the penny test is a very good one (that was my point), but even w/o intentional babying EMT shears can last. We also haven't gone out of our way to break them...so take from this what you will.

#203223 - 06/11/10 12:34 AM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: roberttheiii]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
I've never broken a pair, with routine EMS work.

Yeah, they're cheap enough to be disposable, but all are autoclavable. If you have access to an autoclave.

#203226 - 06/11/10 01:02 AM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: roberttheiii]
chickenlittle Offline

Loc: Canada
I have had some pairs that lasted a long time and some pairs that were not even single use.
I had one pair that the handles fell off the first time I tried using them.

Crash scissors were never meant to be fancy or to last forever but take a good look at them before buying them.
There are some real pieces of crap being sold and there are good solids ones too.
The difference is usually easy to see after you have looked at a few pairs.

I would not likely bother with them as EDC, unless you were a professional.
However if you have a car or house first aid kit they are good additions to it.
(Especially since they are usually less than ten dollars and often available for just over 5 dollars.)

#203234 - 06/11/10 03:05 AM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: chickenlittle]
Richlacal Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Los Angeles, CA
I found that the shears made in Pakistan,Survived Horrible abuse,& Many,Many Cleanings in the Autoclave of a Hospital I worked at.Most hand instruments in Most hospitals are made in Pakistan.As with the changing times,Economy,etc.Made in China versions have appeared,I noticed within a few months,these very shears,& other instruments were in the trash,& the Pakistan stuff is the Dominant provider,once again.I worked in Engineering,& thus had access to Everything.I still have the extremely abused shears with me after 10+yrs. of Mal-treatment,lol!I have seen the China ones in pieces,I have Never seen the Pakistan ones in pieces.If you are going to purchase any,I would advise you to,Look for the stamping of where it was made!

#203236 - 06/11/10 03:33 AM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: chickenlittle]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Yes, it's possible to break a pair. Heck, you can break anything if you try. But I think it very unlikely if you're just using them for cutting.

They all seem to be made of some sort of spring steel. The cheapest, thinnest ($2) ones will "dive" under heavy cutting -- the scissor halves will move apart rather than cutting through. But even then, they come back together. The better quality ones ($5-6) can chew through quite a bit of stuff; you can gently tighten the rivet and resharpen them as needed.

I've found crash scissors quite useful in a number of situations. For air travel or locations where all sharps are forbidden (schools), crash scissors are acceptable and accomplish a lot of tasks. I even use them to cut up oil rags in my shop; I have ten knives available, but the crash scissors are faster. And nothing is better for those d@mnable blister packs that everything comes in these days.

#203238 - 06/11/10 04:36 AM Re: E.M.T shears what do you think. [Re: litlefoot01]
Leo Offline
Stranger

Loc: Colorado
I find that they often don't work well for cutting wet jeans and some other clothing.I still use them for most medical cutting chores but also carry a hook-type cutter for tough clothing. I use a Benchmade Rescue Hook which hangs on the provided neck cord. I clip my ID badge to it so I don't look like too much of a geardo.
leo

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 237 Guests and 20 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Hoover Stew
by brandtb
Yesterday at 03:45 PM
New Madrid Seismic Zone
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/17/24 03:49 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
05/16/24 07:59 PM
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
05/16/24 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.