Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#203103 - 06/08/10 02:14 PM Psk Containers
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Does anyone carry their PSK in tupperware? A metal box? I'm looking for ways to carry.

#203106 - 06/08/10 03:29 PM Re: Psk Containers [Re: TeacherRO]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
I have mine in a Outdoor Research (OR) zippered pouch. YMMV but I find hard kits in the size I use are bit unwieldy. I also use a backpack for EDC so of course I can get away with a bigger EDC.

#203107 - 06/08/10 04:30 PM Re: Psk Containers [Re: TeacherRO]
MostlyHarmless Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Norway
So far it's been just a plastic pouch of some kind. I'm fairly new to this PSK-in-my-pocket idea, mostly I've been carrying stuff in my daypack / backpack / whatever-pack of the day.

My present pocket PSK pouch is just a temporary hack, about half of a heavy-duty plastic pouch that was made to hold some food items.

For my bigger backpack PSK I've used a vinyl map case, some zip-lock pouches and other hacks of the day.

The trouble is that I have pretty high demands on the size (as flat as possible, just big enough to hold what I want), but I haven't the time nor money to chase around for the perfect high-tech pouch. So I make do with whatever I can scrounge together from the kitchen and the basement.

#203116 - 06/08/10 07:31 PM Re: Psk Containers [Re: TeacherRO]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

My core PSK items are in a BCB large kit tin that is 4.5" x 3" x 1". I really like it because:

- it gives me a little more room than an Altoids tin but is still compact enough to carry in a pocket if that's all the space I've got.

- it has an elastomeric seal in the lid that works pretty well. Still, I have 2 wide rubber bands cut from an old bicycle tube that I have put around the tin that really clamp it shut. The bands can be used as ongoing fire tinder if needed.

- like Izzy said, the rigid tin protects my chlorine dioxide tablets better than a soft case.

- as I posted here, the tin's lid makes a pretty darn good signal mirror. I drilled a hole in the middle to aid in aiming. I sealed the hole with some gorilla tape, and I put a PDA screen protector sheet on the inside surface to prevent scratches. I have a real AMK signal mirror in the kit but it costs no money, weight, or space to utilize the lid as a second mirror or a backup.

When I have space for more survival gear than just the tin, I pack that stuff and the tin in a USMC IFAK pouch which is about 6" x 6.5" x 2" and has MOLLE/PALS attachments.

#203123 - 06/08/10 08:18 PM Re: Psk Containers [Re: TeacherRO]
LED Offline
Veteran

Sometimes I carry my PSK in a clear Witz case. But lately my PSK items are more losely packed and easily accessible in my EDC bag. Its geared more for actual daily use. For example, my sewing/maintenance kit resides in an altoids tin. Sure it takes up extra space but its much more accessible. Always a balancing act between carryability and useability.

#203125 - 06/08/10 11:47 PM Re: Psk Containers [Re: LED]
fooman Offline
Journeyman

I'll second the Lock & Lock boxes.
I also use them for travel size first aid kits.

#203126 - 06/09/10 01:13 AM Re: Psk Containers [Re: fooman]
rebwa Offline
Enthusiast

I use an older Northface zipped pouch (no longer made) for my PSK. For me a PSK has to be more extensive and thus takes more room than would fit into any altoids type tin. For my water purifier tabs and 1 qt playtpus water container--I use one of the viewtainers from Home Depot. It offers some protection for the tabs and the container and still fits into the pouch so everything is in one place. The fire making portion of the kit in one of the witz waterproof boxes as I use wetfire tender and don't want that crushed. I like the pouch for several reasons the foremost being that if want to leave my pack for any reason I can carabineer the pouch onto my belt and always have it with me.

http://www.viewtainer.com/

Regarding Lock & Lock boxes they are great and last. I've not used them for a PSK but for almost everything else.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 577 Guests and 9 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.