Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#196013 - 02/17/10 02:35 AM New toy from wallyworld- shiney!
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I was in Wallyworld tonight, and I saw a new flashlight from Rayovac. It a big squeeze light, single LED, I'd say it is equivelent of my fauxtons in throw, but the solar cell makes it 25% longer. For four bucks I had to snag one for testing.

The unprotected photocell rules out attachement to my key ring, but clipped to less abused spot on my bag and in my pockets it should be ok. The switch is non-locking, which is inconvenient but for something that weighs about an ounce and might last forever I'm willing to cut it some slack. My concern is water tightness.

Hmmm... I think I'll pick on it for a few days, then it gets a shower. If the combination of water and a nekkid Raven don't kill it...

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#196017 - 02/17/10 04:00 AM Re: New toy from wallyworld- shiney! [Re: ironraven]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

just be sure to try the nekkid Raven and the shower separately. Else ways we may never know what killed it. LOL.

I've never been very impressed with Rayovac sturdiness. Let us know how it works out.

Sometimes cheap units can surprise you. You might have a keeper and real find there. Give a high sign and I might run out and buy a stack of them. Might be good for give-away emergency bags.

I still have a ~$4 (including batteries) 2-AA "Durabeam" flashlight made by Duracell that is still kicking after thirty years of use and abuse. So old it is even stamped 'Made in the USA'.

I got it as a semi-disposable unit for a camping trip figuring I could replace it after one trip but it just kept working. Even after being dunked the completely unsealed unit I would just open it up and pour the water out. Light, compact and reliable it just keeps doing what it was supposed to do. I modified it by adding a string loop and a 2'loop of nylon cord.

For years I wore this around my neck at night when camping. Incandescent it would eat batteries if used all the time but for camping, where all you need is a few seconds of light to find stuff in the backpack, a set of batteries lasted for many days.

http://www006.upp.so-net.ne.jp/yasuoinoue/durabeam1.jpg

I've since demoted this sturdy little unit to life sitting on a stack of electronics ready for when I want to mess with connections in dark corners.

If I could get those Durabeam units they would be my give-away bag flashlights. I'm not satisfied with the units I have tried so far so I'm in the market for cheap, light, reliable flashlights.

#196033 - 02/17/10 03:02 PM Re: New toy from wallyworld- shiney! [Re: ironraven]
Mark_F Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Kentucky
IR, I've got one of the $3 single led AAA rayovac lights they sell here (I paid almost 5 for mine before they lowered the price to 3). The one with the black rubber grippy thing in the middle. I've been using it as an EDC for maybe 3 or 4 months now. I can't remember exactly when I got it. Hooked it on my keychain right off. My only complaint so far has been the ring attached to the flashlight that linked it to a fairly sturdy clip pulled apart and I now have to carry it in my pocket. Other than that the only other thing is just a little of the paint being abraded off on certain points by riding in my pocket for the last couple months. Hardly noticeable at a glance. An easy fix for the ring is to replace it right away with a swiss army knife split ring. I am very abusive with things that ride on my keychain anyway. Point here is some of the rayovac products can be quite durable - and economical. Let us know how yours works out. laugh

#196035 - 02/17/10 03:15 PM Re: New toy from wallyworld- shiney! [Re: Mark_F]
LCranston Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Nebraska
don't know if this fits here, but if you are looking to stock up on squeeze lights I found a website that has the little ones for cheap cheap

http://www.surpluscomputers.com/348325/house-brand-bright-white-led.html

25 pack for $3.99- the shipping is more than the lights. $9.00 to NE.

I have bought from this company before, as have some friends, with no issues.

- insert usual "I have no affiliation...."

#196063 - 02/18/10 01:16 AM Re: New toy from wallyworld- shiney! [Re: LCranston]
epirider Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Wyoming, USA
Not having any knowledge on the current topic, I would just like to add that for a truely objective scientific experiment, you should have an impartial observer there for the testing. I would like to state that I can be a very very good observer and could - if necessary remain impartial. Just saying...

;0) let me know IR. I am all about putting myself out there in the name of science and for my fellow ETS peers.

#196073 - 02/18/10 02:50 AM Re: New toy from wallyworld- shiney! [Re: epirider]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
My impartiality is this- did I kill it? *laughs*

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#196117 - 02/19/10 02:04 AM Re: New toy from wallyworld- shiney! [Re: ironraven]
cliff Offline
Sultan of Spiffy
Enthusiast

Loc: Louisiana
Raven:

Remember the words of Jeff Foxworthy: '"Naked is when you're not wearing clothes. Nekkid is when you're not wearing clothes and you're up to something."

So no pictures, and keep your review very general in nature. It's a family website. blush blush

cliff
(like, who else...)

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 6 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.