Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#192497 - 01/03/10 01:21 AM Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
I ordered a Ritter RSK Mk5 knife and all the bits and pieces to assemble the survival tin based on the Doug’s instructions that accompany the knife. I’ve been carrying the tin in the cargo pocket of my 5.11 pants for the past few days and hardly notice it.

In lieu of Band-Aids I’m experimenting with 3M’s Nexcare Waterproof Skin Cover.

Altoids Tin
RSK Mk5 Knife
DR Special Edition Photon Freedom Micro-Light
Signal Mirror*
Whistle*
Spark-Lite Firestarter*
X4 Tinder-Quik*
Compass*
X2 Micro-Pur Tablets
X2 Pieces Rip-Stop Tape
X2 Pieces of Nexcare Waterproof Skin Cover
Heavy Duty Sewing Needle pre-Threaded*
Safety Pin*
Large Paper Clip (MacGyver Multi-Tool)

* From Adventure Medical Kit's PSP

Surprisingly, everything fits and the lid snaps shut!

Cheers,
W-W

Edited by WILD_WEASEL (01/03/10 01:22 AM)

#192502 - 01/03/10 02:05 AM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Sweet!. The more I hold my Mk5 the more impressed I am with it. I especially like the little "teeth" that provide thumb friction. They are dead nuts in the right spot and feel grippy without being irritating. I've never seen those kind of teeth on another knife - it that something unique to the Mk5???

I've been meaning to play with the Mk5's lanyard to make sure it fits my hand right - looped around my pinkie finger - but haven't had time yet.

You might want to put some kind of thin cord on the Micro-light and whistle to make them less likely to be dropded (I like the little keychain clip it comes with). I've also thought about drilling a hole in the Spark-Lite and putting a small cord through it. I would also try to include some kind of cordage in the kit - if nothing else enough to act as a necklace to carry key items - whistle, light, ... and/or to bind up branches for a shelter.

BTW, I've been looking at the orange "Tether Cord" at countycomm.com. It looks like it would make nice space-saving lanyards for lights, compasses, ... where paracord would just be too big/thick. I'll need to wait until I am buying something else so I can justify the shipping cost.

I've wondered about the logic of dropping the PSP's ziplok pouch in favor of the tin. I saw the pouch as a way to scoop up water - better than a tin. Am I missing an advantage of the tin??

Also, some of the gear in Doug's PSP has been left out of your Mk5 tin (not sure if you started with a PSP or not). Doug's web site indicates it will fit with the PICO light. Will those bits not fit along with the Micro-light and Micropur tablets?

Also, without some kind of 1 quart/liter water container (Ziplok bag, turkey bag, ...), how would someone use the Micropur tablets? That's something I wondered about since I slipped the tablets in my own PSP pouch.

#192507 - 01/03/10 02:24 AM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: KenK]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
Izzy (and maybe Doug),

I really REALLY wish someone could do a good quantitative test of the common signal mirrors, including some testing of the effect of mirror size on visibility. I'd include:

3x5 glass - the military kind
2x3 glass - I bought mine from countycomm.com
StarFlash 3x5
StarFlash 2x3
AMK Rescue Flash 2x3

#192516 - 01/03/10 03:28 AM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
WILD_WEASEL Offline

Loc: Afghanistan
The mirror and whistle were developed for and tested extensively by Doug Ritter for the AMK PSP, see http://www.equipped.org/psp/amk_psp_faq.htm I'm not sure if the mini version of the Rescue Flash™ Signal Mirror has received the same level of testing.

#192552 - 01/03/10 08:35 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I like it.

I'd probably swap the paperclip for a second safetypin, but that's about it, and then make sure it was well taped on the outside.

There was a question about tins vs pouches. The answer I have is that it is a sliding scale between crush resistance and moisture resistance, until you shoot off on a tangent and go to things like Otterboxes and mini Pelicans.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#192554 - 01/03/10 09:31 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: WILD_WEASEL]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Fish hooks. 20' SpyderWire.

They have a lot of uses. Fishing for lunch, snagging dropped items, mini grappeling hook.

#192564 - 01/04/10 12:11 AM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
Mine is similar, but I also put a few matches from REI, and a striker, in mine. Heat, at least in my neck of the woods, would be more important than just about anything else. An EASY, foolproof way to make fire is imperative.

#192594 - 01/04/10 02:27 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: ]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
There are also companies that make 1 liter plastic folding bags for survival kits, too. Some stand up on their own and have gromets to hang them from. Some sites have them, some don't.

This site has both. I've shopped with them multiple times and always gotten good, fast service.

#192600 - 01/04/10 02:48 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Kris Offline
Addict

Loc: A Canadian Back in Canada
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo

This site has both. I've shopped with them multiple times and always gotten good, fast service.

Ditto +1!

#192602 - 01/04/10 02:49 PM Re: Ritter RSK Mk5 Based Survival Tin [Re: KenK]
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: KenK
I really REALLY wish someone could do a good quantitative test of the common signal mirrors

Here is a look at a few mirrors.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.