Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#191762 - 12/25/09 01:51 PM Emergency situation last night
Hookpunch Offline

I was 2nd or 3rd on the scene of this last night.
Car accident

I was flagged down by other passerbys asking me if I had knife or scissors. One of the victims was upside down trapped in his car by his seatbelt.

Some interesting things, I was the only one with a knife and flashlight (my Photon freedom on the keychain), I also had a Resqme and 2 lifehammers in the car (I also make my wife carry a resqme and have a lifehammer on both the driver and passenger sides). Didn't need to use the Resqme, another passer by showed up ,said he was an off duty fireman, pronounced the two passengers in the other car beyond help by going through the back seat.

Before we could extricate the victim a police officer came on the scene, and actually asked if anyone had a knife...so I gave him mine and he cut the victim out...a bit odd an LEO wouldn't have some kind of rescue knife.

We started to take the victim out before the LEO came on the scene but the 911 dispatcher told us to leave him where he was for EMS. Any idea what we should have done? Since the LEO cut the seatbelt and removed the victim, I am assuming that was the correct procedure.

I really can't recall from my first aid training what we should have done.

Actually it was more chaos than I would expect, when the firemen came on the scene they asked for help carrying equipment , then the on-duty ones told us to vacate, the off duty asked us to stay and help. I went by the on duty fireman and left the scene.

I wasn't sure who was taking charge of the situation, the LEO, the fireman or the EMS who came by a few minutes later.

Anyone know what the protocol is? The off-duty fireman showed up first, then the LEO, the fireman, then EMS. Who was supposed to take charge?

#191763 - 12/25/09 02:11 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: Hookpunch]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
A sad story indeed, but I'm glad you were there to help. Thanks for stepping up!!

I'll let those with more knowledge further elaborate, but certainly the victim should only be moved if he is in immediate danger (like the vehicle on fire).

#191764 - 12/25/09 02:25 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: KenK]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
There was a similar incident here a few years back. Traffic accident, young kid trapped in the backseat by the seatbelt. No one had a knife or any other useful tool for cutting a seatbelt. That's when I bought a dedicated Spyderco Rescue folder for the truck console. I need to add a ResQme to each of the seatbelts for personal use.

#191765 - 12/25/09 03:08 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: Russ]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
Not every scene is a model of efficiency. I stopped to help a bicyclist who had been struck by a car. EMS came up with a backboard, and I was squatting to help with the body roll, and the EMS guy just asked the victim to wiggle onto the board. That was a novel technique that we hadn't covered in any of my classes, but I am sure it save the EMS guy a lot of work..

Congratulations on stopping to help! Most people would not want to be involved.

#191767 - 12/25/09 03:36 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: hikermor]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
What a sad occurrence, especially on Christmas Eve. God bless their loved ones. Great that you could assist.

Ditto the directive not to move an injured person unless they are in imminent danger, such as from fire.

My sister, then age 16, drove off the road and into a tree. Friends were behind her in another car. They were about to pull her out of the car when a trucker stopped and told them not to move her.

That trucker was the first person to save my sister's life that night. The volunteer EMT who responded was her next savior. Three neck vertebrae were shattered on impact (C-5, 6 and 7).

Pieces of bone were poised to slice her spinal cord. She also suffered severe head injury. Her surgeons said that had she been moved she'd likely have been rendered quadriplegic, or dead.

Don't move a trauma victim.

P.S. -- she was only going 30 mph. Tell kids to buckle up!

#191768 - 12/25/09 03:37 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: hikermor]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Most places have the first one on scene be "in control" until the situation dictates otherwise. In this case, the FD would be in charge due to the extrication. EMS would essentially tell FD what they need to do for the patient before/after extrication and FD would usually work around those recommendations. The captain or battalion chief is in charge, usually with a paramedic coordinating EMS while the Capt/BC does the fire/extrication side. There's all sorts of flow charts.

Cops usually go back to traffic/scene control as soon as FD or EMS show up.

#191775 - 12/25/09 05:02 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: Hookpunch]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd leave you hanging like a chandelier until EMS said to cut you down, or there was an immediate risk to your life.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#191782 - 12/25/09 05:41 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: ironraven]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
MDiana's got it right....of course we're flexible enough to bend jobs around for the exact situation at hand. As for the EMS crew that asked the person to wriggle onto the board.....bad crew. I can't stand that..... Ticks me off. Anyway....

Aside from anyone's 'training' and experience....it is kind of like the saying.....If it seems too good to be true....it probably is. If your common sense is telling you not to move someone....DON"T. A lot of this job is common sense....

There are those situations though that leave you thinking...like the 30 MPH MVA with the shattered vertebrae. I travsferred a person who was involved in an MVA and there was absolutely NO VISIBLE DAMAGE OF ANY KIND TO THE CAR! Nothing. Not even a scratch on the paint. NOTHING. But her neck hurt and she was brought to the hospital....It took a CT scan to see the broken neck! Floored everyone. Doctor's included.

Goes to show that you NEVER know.

#191785 - 12/25/09 05:54 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: Hookpunch]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: Hookpunch
... We started to take the victim out before the LEO came on the scene but the 911 dispatcher told us to leave him where he was for EMS. Any idea what we should have done? Since the LEO cut the seatbelt and removed the victim, I am assuming that was the correct procedure.... Anyone know what the protocol is? The off-duty fireman showed up first, then the LEO, the fireman, then EMS. Who was supposed to take charge?

Being inverted and suspended too long can be fatal all by itself. Moving an injured person can be fatal, too. Its a judgment call. But doing nothing is safer for you. Cops often don't know the right thing to do in a medical emergency, either.

State statutes often specify who is in charge. Usually, it is either the senior fire officer or LEO on-scene. Typically, it's not much of an issue, since fire, law and EMS have separate duties to perform. But conflicts happen occasionally.

BTW, thanks for stepping up.

#191787 - 12/25/09 05:57 PM Re: Emergency situation last night [Re: hikermor]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: hikermor
... the EMS guy just asked the victim to wiggle onto the board. ...

That lazy, incompetent jackhole should be fired. He's a danger and embarrassment to the profession.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 533 Guests and 5 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.