Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#190077 - 12/06/09 06:06 PM Identifying Important Switches/Buttons.
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
A recent post about mounting a Res-Q-Me tool got me thinking about a trick I use to identify important switches in my vehicles and machinery. Many of these switches need to be activated while driving or during a high stress situation.

I place small pieces of sticky-sided white velcro on top of the buttons so they are not only easier to see, but I can feel the button, therefore keeping my eyes on the road or situation. Two different buttons on the same panel can be marked seperately with "sharp" hook or "soft" loop velcro. I use black velcro if I do not want to visually draw attention to the button.

In my vehicles I use velcro to identify the radio frequency change button, emergency light buttons and on the lock side of the door lock button.

I regularly drive 3 different vehicles made by 3 different manufactures (Ford, Chev, Toyota) and the door lock buttons are different on each one. Now I just feel for the prickly velcro as I exit the vehicle, without even thinking about which vehicle I am using (I do not use a key fob remote as my keys ring is already too huge).

Years ago I had a bottle of Glow-In-The-Dark fishing jighead paint, it was also good to visually highlight switches.

Any other tips on identifying important switches/buttons?

Mike

#190079 - 12/06/09 06:14 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: SwampDonkey]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
I was once told by a Navy fighter pilot the following:

"The only switches necessary to safe flight are the 'Shiny Switches". They get that way from repeated use, and since the aircraft is still in one piece, they are only involved in safe flight. Having said that, any aircraft with the emergency controls/switches that are shiny is trouble. Someone before you has had some thrilling experiences, repeatedly."

Only touch the Shiny Switches.....

RIP OBG

#190083 - 12/06/09 08:34 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: Desperado]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Quote:
Only touch the Shiny Switches.....

And never pull the unlabeled red rope coming through a small hole in the ceiling. It causes the 400lb walk-in freezer doors to fall off. blush

-Blast, who resisted for months
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#190087 - 12/06/09 09:08 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: Blast]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
We use a very short section of fuel hose (new) over toggle switches to identify the switch in the dark.

We tie a Turks Head knot onto the "Rudder Amidships Spoke" on a ship's wheel to know the rudder is amidships, by feel, when it is upright, in the dark. This also lets us know what angle we've put on the rudder by how much the knot is to the left or right of the vertical position.

The velcro patches sound good to me.

#190093 - 12/06/09 11:02 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: wildman800]
ame Offline

Loc: Korea
One of these:

http://www.emptech.info/product_details.php?ID=472

You'd have to learn some Braille, but that might be a useful skill, plus you can uniquely identify many switches, even if you just use A B C D or 1 2 3 4 instead of complete words.

A

#190095 - 12/06/09 11:16 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: wildman800]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

It would be nice if the controls had some way of identifying the function by feel. As I understand it US designers before WW2 came up with the idea of shaping the handles to approximate the things they control. So the lever that controlled the landing gear was shaped like a wheel, and the lever for flaps were shaped like flaps.

Of course there are limits to how far you can go with this. Shaping the handles like a physical object is simple. But how do you reference a non-physical concept with a shape? Is there a shape that describes 'radio frequency' or 'GPS waypoint 03'.

Then again how many controls are really vital. I like simple vehicles where start, stop, and steer, are pretty much all you need because that is all that is really important. One of the reasons I like trucks is that you can, last time I checked, still get a vehicle with manual windows and locks.

As attractive as marking switches seems I'm leery about marking things as special because it is easy to imagine a situation where just about any control might be vitally important. If I mark all the switches then they are all special and if all are special then none of them are.

Seems to me that the what is needed is training and regular refresh training to make the location of the switches instinctual and automatic. You could make it a habit to physically manipulate all the switches when you get in so you are getting regular refreshing and checking switch function. Pilots have done this from day-one. Checklists and function tests make sure you and the machine are ready to fly.

I don't see why this wouldn't work for motor vehicles.

#190099 - 12/06/09 11:43 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: Art_in_FL]
haertig Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Colorado
I like that idea for cars. In the dark when I'm driving, I never really know if I'm going to end up locking the doors, opening any of the four windows, or adjusting the outside mirrors! I remind myself of John Candy trying to adjust the cars seat in Planes, Trains and Automobiles.

And don't get me started on those steering wheel stalks. Push it forward, pull it back, push it up, pull it down, Twist band #1 (up or down of course), or band two. Push the button on the end. Flip the little twisty lever. That's not enough for some cars ... they put in more than one stalk! I can handle my own cars that I'm familiar with. But rentals?!

I've learned to take my own flashlight and go over rental cars completely before moving an inch. I had one rental car where it started getting dark and I couldn't find the headlights. Nor the dome light switch. I had to pull over and open the door to get the dome light to come on to see what I needed. And I struggled with one trying to find the parking brake release. Didn't have one. It was automatic when you put it into gear. How would I know that? This was a long time ago when I was young and stupid. Now I'm just old and stupid, but I know enough to learn the controls of the rental you're driving. Cars controls are more varied than they used to be.

End of rant. I think I'll try that velcro trick on the drivers side doorlock, window and mirror controls however. Good idea!

#190135 - 12/07/09 07:26 AM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: haertig]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
What I love in my Subaru Forester is that most of the buttons and switches are factory made blind touch friendly (indents, ridges, different shape, etc.). One of my own tricks is to drill a small hole (or just a little pit) in the plastic button's face when it is necessary to differentiate them in groups of more than 2 by touch - almost invisible method. I like the Velcro tip though!

#190153 - 12/07/09 03:43 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: Alex]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I simplified it-I have a jeep wrangler smile. I have lights, radio, hazards, and turn signals. That pretty much sums it up.

#190250 - 12/08/09 07:50 PM Re: Identifying Important Switches/Buttons. [Re: SwampDonkey]
MartinFocazio Offline

Pooh-Bah

Loc: Bucks County PA
Originally Posted By: SwampDonkey

I regularly drive 3 different vehicles made by 3 different manufactures (Ford, Chev, Toyota) and the door lock buttons are different on each one.

No tips, but when I was a firefighter, one engine had a 1 up, 2 down "H" shifter - and the other had a 1 down 2 Up shifter. Drove me batty.

Then there were the other trucks, each with a different light package for the blinky lights....I was a driver on all but one of the 5 pieces of apparatus and it was always a concerted effort to remember where to put my hands and feet to make things go and stop and bleep and boop.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.