Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#189521 - 11/30/09 06:21 PM Pls Write Your Senators - USCG Appropriations Bill
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

H.R. 3619 - Coast Guard Authorization Act of 2010 has passed the House, but is stuck over in the Senate. I'd appreciate it if you would consider writing your Senators and urging them to pass this appropriations bill. Beyond the fact that the USCG is one of the most effective organizations in the federal government, and that they save a lot of lives, there is a lot of good stuff in that bill to encourage better survival gear. I have a personal interest in one aspect of that. In SEC. 804. FISHING VESSEL SAFETY, there is a new $3M grant program that provides 75% grants for research and such. In years past this money was earmarked by Sen. Ted Stevens for Alaska and most went to AMSEA (a good organization, but...), however it is now drafted to be open to all.

SEC. 804. FISHING VESSEL SAFETY

(j)(1) The Secretary shall establish a Fishing Safety Research Grant Program to provide funding to individuals in academia, members of non-profit organizations and businesses involved in fishing and maritime matters, and other persons with expertise in fishing safety, to conduct research on methods of improving the safety of the commercial fishing industry, including vessel design, emergency and survival equipment, enhancement of vessel monitoring systems, communications devices, de-icing technology, and severe weather detection.

(2) The Secretary shall award grants under this subsection on a competitive basis.

(3) The Federal share of the cost of any activity carried out with a grant under this subsection shall not exceed 75 percent.

(4) There is authorized to be appropriated $3,000,000 for each fiscal years 2010 through 2014 for activities under this subsection.’.

Certain folks at the Coast Guard would like to take a look at life rafts, a subject we are quite accomplished at evaluating. So, we are hoping to apply for some of that grant money for ETS Foundation. However, until the bill is passed, with that section intact, nothing is going to happen.

Your help in encouraging your Senators to pass this bill with this section intact would be greatly appreciated.
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#189571 - 11/30/09 11:39 PM Re: Pls Write Your Senators - USCG Appropriations Bill [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Jeanette_Isabelle Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Nacogdoches, Texas
Note: If this post is too political, delete it now! I do not want to be apart of a political discussion.

This is certainly a good endeavor and is tax money well spent. However, I don't see a point in contacting my senator on the grounds I have very little faith in our government.

Jeanette Isabelle

#189575 - 12/01/09 12:13 AM Re: Pls Write Your Senators - USCG Appropriations Bill [Re: Jeanette_Isabelle]
Dagny Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Washington, DC
Originally Posted By: JeanetteIsabelle
Note: If this post is too political, delete it now! I do not want to be apart of a political discussion.

This is certainly a good endeavor and is tax money well spent. However, I don't see a point in contacting my senator on the grounds I have very little faith in our government.

Jeanette Isabelle

Not exercising your First Amendment freedom to petition the government for redress of grievances won't make it any more responsive to your concerns.

For kicks, write your two Senators and your representative and compare their staffs' efforts to assure you that they care what you think.

www.senate.gov
www.house.gov

#189576 - 12/01/09 12:53 AM Re: Pls Write Your Senators - USCG Appropriations Bill [Re: Dagny]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
As a retired civil servant, I can assure you that writing your representatives concerning problems can be very effective.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 493 Guests and 12 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.