Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#187474 - 11/04/09 06:52 PM Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks
Kukulkan Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
I work in a high rise office building and I am trying to figure out whether to invest in a smoke hood. My get out bag currently has a dust mask (I think N-95) to help me escape if there is smoke.

I understand that there are essentially two types of smoke hoods. The more basic version (approximately $15.00) is essentially a heat resistant plastic bag along with a filter that removes particulate matter. It is essentially an upgraded dust mask to protect your eyes from smoke. The more advanced version (approximately $75 and up) has a respirator (in addition to the heat resistant plastic bag) that includes a catalyst that converts carbon monoxide into carbon dioxide. Actually, I guess there is a third category, which includes an activated carbon filter to neutralize some poisonous gasses, but not carbon monoxide.

I looked for testimonials from people who had used a smoke hood in a real emergency situation (the manufacturers offer free replacements to anyone who used a smoke hood in an emergency who provides a testimonial) and found only one testimonial of a woman who used a basic smoke hood after re-entering a burning home in an attempt to rescue the family cat. She said it worked perfectly in connection with allowing her to breathe, but that the smoke was so thick that she could not really see. I found no testimonials of anyone who has used the more advanced smoke hood to escape a fire.

The studies I have been reading simply state that the vast majority of fire related deaths are caused by smoke inhalation instead of burns. I already knew that. However, "smoke inhalation" is too vague.

Is it the particulate matter or the carbon monoxide that causes the majority of smoke inhalation deaths?

Would an N-95 dust mask provide any significant protection from smoke inhalation?

How effective is a moist cloth held over the mouth at providing protection from smoke inhalation?

[EDIT] So far, this is the best information I have found: http://www.cdc.gov/niosh/npptl/topics/respirators/factsheets/respfact.html

Edited by Kukulkan (11/04/09 07:24 PM)
Edit Reason: to add new information

#187478 - 11/04/09 07:29 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Kukulkan]
armageddon_aviator Offline

Loc: Israel
Hi

The Draeger "Parat C" sounds like a good option.

http://www.advancesafetyequip.com/index.aspx?Command=GroupInfo&GroupID=5600

The only problem is the elevated price tag ($ 150.00)

#187482 - 11/04/09 07:59 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Kukulkan]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
Quote:
Is it the particulate matter or the carbon monoxide that causes the majority of smoke inhalation deaths?

Both and neither. Smoke in a "typical" structure fire is a nasty cocktail of chemicals. Almost everything in a modern home is manufactured from some sort of petrolium product. Have pvc pipe for plumbing? when it burns it produces phosgene gas. Phosgene was used in WW1. This is only one very small part of the make up of smoke. It does seem to make some sense that a n-95 mask will offer some limited protection from smoke particultes. My experience has only been with SCBA in the fire service. I have no experience with smoke hoods so I can't really offer any advice except that when the fire alarm goes off in your building LEAVE!

#187496 - 11/04/09 10:21 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Matt26]
celler Offline
Addict

Loc: Jupiter, FL
Not trying to be unfriendly {and welcome to the forum), but this topic has come up many times on this forum and there are several threads. A quick search of "smoke hoods" should yield most of the answers you seek.

#187502 - 11/04/09 11:33 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Kukulkan]
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
You can choke on particulates from heavy smoke, but really, it's the toxic gasses that will render you unconscious very quickly. Within a few breaths if enough gasses are present. For a smoke hood, I would prefer something that filtered carbon monoxide (and by default, it should filter out lots of other nasty gasses). As I have in the past, I would recommend the Safe Escape Smoke Hood. It seems to be the best balance of performance and cost.

A smaller option that might be easier to have on or near you would be the Xcaper Mask. Only covers your mouth and nose, but it's more compact than a full hood and still filters CO.

Don't toss that N-95, though. The only real situations where I have had to use an N-95 is when wildfire smoke was in the area but it certainly helped.

How high up is your office?

#187505 - 11/04/09 11:47 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Arney]
Kukulkan Offline
Stranger

Loc: Los Angeles
Originally Posted By: Arney

How high up is your office?

38th Floor. If there is a fire, my office will be above it or at the same level. Based on the results of 9/11, I'd prefer not to be on the top floor. Oh well.

I've been reviewing the Xcaper product line. It looks to be a significant improvement over the N95 that is currently in my kit. I notice that Xcaper has a "high altitude" filter and a professional filter, and that the high altitude filter is very inexpensive (approx. $7.00). The company's website has testing results from an indepenent laboratory. I assume the tests were conducted on the professional filter. It would be interesting to see if tests have been conducted on the high altitude filter and if so how it performs in comparison to the professional filter.

#187506 - 11/04/09 11:48 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Kukulkan]
Am_Fear_Liath_Mor Offline
Carpal Tunnel

How about using one of these;

http://www.amazon.com/Spare-Air-3000-3-0-Kit-Yellow/dp/B0000E1R4Z/ref=pd_sbs_sg_3

Also useful if like James Bond you find yourself in a covered swimming pool filled with sharks. wink

#187594 - 11/05/09 08:58 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Kukulkan]
acropolis5 Offline
Enthusiast

This is what I keep in my briefcase at work: www.myxcaper.com.

#187598 - 11/05/09 09:15 PM Re: Smoke Hoods vs. Dust Masks [Re: Arney]
James_Van_Artsdalen Offline
Addict

Loc: Texas
Originally Posted By: Arney

For a smoke hood, I would prefer something that filtered carbon monoxide

Is that practical? Getting rid of CO2 while retaining O2 is hard enough as it is.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (Ren), 553 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.