The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#184449 - 10/07/09 02:11 AM SHTF bag and compartmentalization
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Loc: Birmingham, Alabama
The other thread got me thinking about how I compartmentalize my tools at work and doing the same with my SHTF bag.

Here's what I'm thinking. Inside my Kelty Redwing 3100, a medium butt pack, with a Molle electronics pouch inside it. Last ditch stuff in the 6"x4"x4" pouch, like 1 disposable lighter, pocket knife, 10' of 550 cord, small compass, mini Fox 40 whistle, Starflash Ultra signal mirror, Inova Microlight, 1 contractor bag, 1 sandwich Ziplock, 1 quart Ziplock, 1 gallon Ziplock, 1 bottle of water purification tablets, basically the stuff you'd put in a medium tin.

In the 10 1/4" X 9 1/2" X 6 1/4" butt pack I was thinking my Cold Steel Tanto, a 32-ounce Nalgene, knife sharpener, 1 2400 Mainstay, my small FAK, the small pouch listed above, etc...

http://www.imsplus.com/molle-electronics-utility-pouch.html
http://www.imsplus.com/butt-pack-enhanced-.html

I've been kind of doing this already, as I carry my last ditch stuff in my Nalgene right now. But I like organization and not just having everything thrown in the big bag.

Any ideas on what would be best in which size bag?

#184451 - 10/07/09 02:47 AM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: 2005RedTJ]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Organization is a good thing.

So long as it doesn't add too much weight. These probably would.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#184453 - 10/07/09 03:05 AM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: ironraven]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

I want them to be rugged enough that they would survive outside the main bag if necessary. They don't look to be very heavy to me. The butt pack could be switched out to something lighter, but I really like the look/design of that electronics pouch.

#184454 - 10/07/09 03:23 AM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: ironraven]
CANOEDOGS Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: MINNESOTA

i can't really give you any tips as to size.however the day bag that i use on canoe trips has several zip pockets,it's a small fishermans gear bag,to ID what is in each pocket i have a different pull on each zipper tab.the pocket with the first aid gear has a yellow bit of cord--the fire light stuff old leather lace,the other side with the bug net,compass,duct tape,has a white bit of para cord.so on as the bag looks the same all the way around--main bag with pouches on each end and a large one each side--it can get confusing in the dark or rain as to which pocket you are trying to open to find what.the main big bag however remains a mess with a water filter-lunch-camera-fishing lures-so on all jumbled in.......

#184456 - 10/07/09 03:26 AM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: CANOEDOGS]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Here's what I'm leaning towards so far, but I don't have the bags yet to know for sure what will or won't fit:

In 10.25"x 9.5" x 6.25" Molle enhanced butt pack (inside main bag):
1 - Cold Steel Tanto
1 - 2400 Mainstay
1 - LED flashlight
1 - small first aid kit
1 - 32 ounce Nalgene
2 - granola bars
2 - 20 ounce bottles of water
1 - regular compass
25 - waterproof matches in matchsafe
1 - bottle water purification tablets
1 - gallon ziplock
1 - poncho
1 - space blanket
1 - knife shapener

In 6"x4"x4" Molle electronics pouch (inside butt pack):
1 - Bic lighter
1 - mini Fox 40 whistle
1 - keychain compass
1 - Inova Microlight flashlight
1 - Starflash Ultra signal mirror
1 - bottle water purification tablets
20' - 550 cord
pocket knife
10' - duct tape
1- quart ziplock bag
1 - contractor bag

#184467 - 10/07/09 10:46 AM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: 2005RedTJ]
JBMat Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NC
I tend to think in layers, with redundancy built in.

Worst case, I go with what is in my pockets. Knife, lighter, small flashlight, and whatever else I happen to be carrying.

I have a small pouch with a basic PSK in it, augmented by flashlight, AMK blanket, pocketknife, lighter, etc. If I grab nothing else, this goes with me. The primary grab it and go pouch if you will.

Next up is a vest with some of the same items, but including water bottles and some food. The pockets spread the load and there is room to add items as I come across them.

Finally there is the pack with "comfort" items such as food, cook kit, stove, more water bottles, poncho liner, clothing. This resides in the same closet as my gun safe. If I have time to grab it, then some of the weapons go with also.

I tend to keep these items slightly separated but readily accessible - the exception being the weapons are under lock and key. I can grab what I want/need/desire quickly should the conditons warrant and beat feet. Should it be a bugout in place, I still have the gear ready to be used.

#184476 - 10/07/09 01:10 PM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: JBMat]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
2005RedTJ,,

You seem to have a good list of thigns in your bag. Everything is well thought out, but I can't help to wonder why you chose the Tanto Knife for a survival knife. Don't get me wrong Cold Steel makes a great knife.

The blade design lends itself to more um Tactical uses thus drawing attention to itself. Where a difrent knife may draw less attention if you have to use it or if your bag gets inspected for any reason.

On a prcatical note the Tanto style knife doesnt lend itself to skinnning an animal, or dressing a fish,

Perhaps adding a difrent style knife (I am all for adding knives) and keeping the tanto styled kife for other purposes.

The bic lighter you may also want to upgrade to a butain ligher. The more "agresive" flame of the butain lighter will help incase you need to light damp materials or are in windy conditions.

You seemed to have realy thougth the pack out and have some great ideas in the bag. Many things I still need to add to my WSHTF Bag that you already have.

Great work and awsome discriptions

Eric

#184478 - 10/07/09 02:07 PM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: Tyber]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Maybe he is like me, and already had the knife. One less expense and all that.

RIP OBG

#184484 - 10/07/09 04:02 PM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: Desperado]
Tyber Offline
Sheriff
Enthusiast

Loc: ST. Paul MN
Originally Posted By: Desperado
Maybe he is like me, and already had the knife. One less expense and all that.

Desperado, your probably right, but hey I am all for another excuse to purchase another knife smile

#184506 - 10/07/09 07:53 PM Re: SHTF bag and compartmentalization [Re: Tyber]
2005RedTJ Offline
Addict

Yeah, I did already have the knife. I got it for free years ago and it's the old style, tough as nails model Recon Tanto. It's in a very non-tactical looking sheath, so it doesn't look too menacing.

I said BIC lighter, but it's not the name brand, just a disposable see-through one with flame adjustment.

And that's not even close to being all that's in my bag, the rest would reside in the main pack. Some stuff I can't see putting in the butt pack (even if they would fit) like my Buck camp axe, Thermolite II bivvy sack, etc...

Some of the stuff would be a little redundant, like 10 or so feet of paracord in the small pouch, 50 feet in the butt pack, and 100 feet in the SHTF bag. A button compass in the pouch, Brunton 12NL keychain compass in the butt pack, a regular orienteering compass in the SHTF bag, and so on.

It's still all a work in progress, but I just don't like the all-or-nothing huge bag idea. I still always have my EDC stuff: compass, whistle, lighter, flashlight, pocket knife, Gerber Suspension, handgun, etc...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 17 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
Yesterday at 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.