Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#181404 - 09/04/09 07:02 PM Mandatory gear requirement?
scafool Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Muskoka
JohnE asked a question on a thread about a survival show which I thought deserved to be asked and discussed. So I am asking it just as a discussion starter.

Originally Posted By: JohnE
I'm not referring to mining in the Yukon. I was hoping to expand on the ideas that have been discussed in this thread as well as in others about people being unprepared before they go into the wild.

Given the number of stories posted about here, at least some people have some very real problems, ie, lost in Death Valley, lost at a ski resort, etc.

Should those folks have been required to show proof of adequate supplies/equipment before being allowed to head off on their great adventure? Should anyone? Would it have helped?

Now consider first that minimum equipment requirements are already enforced for boats and planes.
Bear proof food containers are already required for campers in some parks too.

So does the idea of minimum equipment requirements for going hiking in parks make sense at all?
What would be the positives or negatives of having such requirements?

(Nobody is proposing such a requirement as far as I know and I really am just throwing this out there for discussion.)

#181405 - 09/04/09 07:04 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: scafool]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I just dislike the idea of big brother telling us what to do wink

Just because you need XYZ doesn't mean I do, and vice-versa.

#181408 - 09/04/09 07:28 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: Todd W]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I think that some gear suggestions are valid-particularly what is needed on planes & boats. They cannot cover every situation, but I believe they want to give people a chance to survive until rescue. As far as bear cannisters go, this is also sound advice; the bears arent learning that humans=food. Or, thats the idea anyway.

#181412 - 09/04/09 07:46 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: oldsoldier]
clearwater Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Channeled Scablands
The US Forest Service used to, and maybe still does in some
areas, require everyone going onto forest lands to carry
a bucket, axe, and shovel. This was enforced and enable one
to fight a fire. Everyone was required to fight any fire seen.

#181414 - 09/04/09 09:34 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: clearwater]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

In a perfect world there would be no need to have anyone establish minimum equipment requirements and enforce it as a law, complete with checks by law enforcement and penalties for non-compliance. In this perfect world people would seek out knowledgeable individuals and credible sources and use them to determine what the community consensus is for minimum equipage, And then they would, as a matter of duty, good citizenship, and good conscience, heed that advice and do whatever is necessary to meet that minimum standard.

We don't live in a perfect world. People seldom seem to use common sense. Otherwise sane people often do not bother to do basic research on what minimal standards might be. When they do many of them will either disregard any advice or simply fail to make an effort to meet the standard. Often talking a good story about being independent and rugged individualists right up to the point they get into trouble. Then it is all whining and griping that people don't drop everything and come out and rescue them. Inside many a loudmouth there is a wimp.

I'm not very familiar with a lot of specific minimal equipment standards but a few things seem clear to me. First, minimum equipment standards are not new. During the gold rush the RCMP was stopping people who couldn't show the minimum equipment, roughly 2000 pounds, in 1898.

Second, the standard are typically so minimal as to be laughable. The minimums for watercraft in the US are so weak that anyone not meeting the standard should really be hauled off as insane and a hazard to themselves and others instead of just being ticketed.

#181420 - 09/04/09 10:24 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: Art_in_FL]
ducktapeguy Offline
Enthusiast

IMO, it won't help very much, and could potentially have some serious drawbacks.

First, who will be setting the minimum requirement? What one person considers an absolute minimum could be way too much for an ultralighter. I would hate to be required to carry anything unnecessary just because someoneelse thinks it's essential. There is no universal list of equipment that has to be carried by every person in every situation, even the "10 essentials" has some room for modification.

Second, just because you force someone to carry something, doesn't mean they'll know what to do with it in an emergency. You would think most people would be smart enough to figure it out on their own, but if they were then they probably wouldn't need someone telling them what to carry.

Third, I see a liability issue if someone still happens to get into trouble even with the mandatory minimum. With some of the outrageous stories that you read in the news lately, it wouldn't surprise me if someone tried to sue the NPS (or whoever is the governing agency) because the minimum requirements weren't enough to keep them alive in an extreme situation. That's why a lot of these requirements cater to the lowest common denominator, because of liability issues. By enforcing these types of rules, people tend to get complacent about their own responsibility because they assume someone else is taking responsibility for them.

No matter what, there will always be people who die out in the wilderness. Sometimes it's unavoidable accident, and sometimes it's just plain stupidity. Trying to force everyone to follow the same standards isn't going to help those that die from their own carelessness, all it does is limit the freedom of those that don't need help.

#181425 - 09/04/09 10:56 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: ducktapeguy]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
Actually, it sounds like a good idea to me.

If the fools go hiking in the Olympic National Park, maybe it should be insisted upon that they take a backpack of things that might keep them alive long enough to rescue.

For instance:

6x8' tarp
50' nylon cord
Two forms of firestarter (i.e., matches in container, Bic lighter)
Tinder (packaged)
1-gallon Ziplock plastic bag
Knife
First Aid kit (bandaids, gauze bandages, antibiotic ointment,
Ace-type bandage, triangular bandage, etc)
Metal cup
Signal mirror
Pencil & paper
Compass
Map of the area
Water and granola bars (etc)

The only things here that aren't self-explanatory are the compass and signal mirror.

A small book of survival tips would be nice, too. The park could make it location-specific and require a refundable deposit.

None of this would take up a phenomenal amount of space and it wouldn't weigh much.

Wouldn't insisting on something like this be cheaper than dragging out the Air National Guard every time some yahoo finds himself in the wrong place?

And no matter what you do, you will never escape the 'Sue 'em' philosophy of a population of irresponsible people. Esp since the park could be sued for letting them in, letting them go, not starting a search quickly enough, not finding them fast enough, etc.

Sue

#181427 - 09/04/09 10:59 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: Susan]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Gear only helps to a certain degree... haven't a lot of the calls this year been `stupid` too? Like broken finger, bored want to go home, etc... you can't pack gear for that wink

#181430 - 09/04/09 11:20 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: ducktapeguy]
Cauldronborn Offline
Journeyman

Loc: UK
I'm no lawyer or survival expert, but it seem to me that a better idea would be to have training instead of equipment.

Because as we all know, just because someone has gear doesn't mean they know how to use it.

How many people have bought one of those cheap junk survival kits and just thrown it in their bag with out bothering to open it to see what's inside it?

So I would have to say that training (possibly with an examination or test like you have to take to get a driver's license)to different levels to meet different contations would be better than a mandatory gear requirement. although i would say that having a generalized list of gear wouldnt be a bad idea.
(sutable clothing ect)

#181434 - 09/04/09 11:37 PM Re: Mandatory gear requirement? [Re: Cauldronborn]
Susan Offline
Geezer

Loc: W. WA
For stupid calls, the answer is 'NO!' Publicize those calls and the people who make them. Most people don't want to be a laughingstock. Preventative medicine?

Training won't happen. That takes personal responsibility.

Force them to take a small bag of gear, and when push comes to shove, they can make a fire, put a tarp over their heads, and scoop water from the river, simply because they HAVE to.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 512 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by chaosmagnet
Today at 07:18 PM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.