Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#178197 - 07/30/09 07:50 PM Customs Officially Backs Off!
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Customs Officially Backs Off

In a letter to Representative Kurt Schrader (D-OR), Customs and Border Protection has officially backed off their proposed revocations and rulemaking in recognition of the Amendment that was passed by the Senate which would add a new exception to the Switchblade Act covering assisted and one-hand opening knives, at least until the Homeland Security Appropriations Bill is acted upon in Conference Committee.

You can read the letter here, but the key paragraph reads "The amendment would effectively obviate the need for CBP's proposed revocations and render the current issue moot. Additionally, due to the numerous comments received in response to the proposed revocation, it is unlikely that CBP will take any further action prior to passage of the Appropriations Act."

This is about as close to a victory as we can come at this time. It may not be over until the fat lady sings, and we actually get the Amendment through Conference Committee, but for all practical purposes, we shouldn't have to worry about Customs reaching into your pockets for your pocket knives anytime soon. Do take note that Customs has included some ambiguous wording in their letter, leaving their options open, no surprise. But, make no mistake, they have gotten the message; don't mess with our pocket knives!

You'll note mention of the "numerous comments received." That is entirely because of all your efforts to write and mail those comments in. You got their attention, and you got Congress' attention with all your emails, letters and faxes to your Senators and Representatives. We are very pleased to have been a part of the coalition of advocacy groups that have helped bring this effort to this point. None of us could have done it alone and everyone involved made key contributions. We want to thank AKTI, NRA, the Congressional Sportsmen Foundation and the Citizens Committee for the Right to Keep and Bear Arms for their cooperation and support for this intense fight. I'd also like to give recognition to Les de Asis and Benchmade's own legislative team who have played a significant role in the coalition efforts.

We still need to get this Amendment through the Conference Committee, but that becomes much easier with each passing day as the pieces, such as this, fall into place. We'll continue to work in cooperation with the other advocacy groups to line up support in the House to accomplish that after the August Recess. As we noted in an email earlier this week, for the moment, just sit back, celebrate this victory and bask in the knowledge that we have come together to overcome great odds to get to this point. YOU did this, the voice of the people; the system sometimes still works.

Knife Rights on Twitter

Follow Knife Rights on Twitter and receive the latest updates and notices as soon as they occur: http://twitter.com/KnifeRights

Join or Donate to Knife Rights

Your membership dues help support our efforts to protect your rights. Invest a modest sum in A Sharper Future™. Join at the Benefactor level to help us even more. JOIN NOW!

http://tinyurl.com/qnu988

PLEASE DONATE TO SUPPORT THIS FIGHT FOR YOUR KNIFE RIGHTS!

http://bit.ly/Scvp9

Copyright 2009, Knife Rights, Inc.
This may be reproduced. It may not be reproduced for commercial purposes.

Doug Ritter
Chairman / CEO
Knife Rights, Inc.
Knife Rights Foundation, Inc.
www.KnifeRights.org
Email: dritter@KnifeRights.org
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#178202 - 07/30/09 08:07 PM Re: Customs Officially Backs Off! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
yelp Offline

Loc: Colorado
Everyone (especially Doug and Knife Rights),

Thank you for picking this up and for the follow-through. I did not want US Customs in my pants.

#178205 - 07/30/09 08:23 PM Re: Customs Officially Backs Off! [Re: yelp]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
WAHOO!

Thank you Doug! If you need anything let me know!

#178211 - 07/30/09 08:43 PM Re: Customs Officially Backs Off! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Really excellent news.

#178227 - 07/31/09 12:10 AM Re: Customs Officially Backs Off! [Re: Doug_Ritter]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Good news from the front, for a change.

First in a long series of battles though.....

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#178230 - 07/31/09 01:44 AM Re: Customs Officially Backs Off! [Re: ironraven]
MoBOB Offline
Veteran

Loc: here
Doug etal, Thank you for the fight. It is nice to see that vox populi was actually listened to by our representatives; finally.

#178232 - 07/31/09 01:54 AM Re: Customs Officially Backs Off! [Re: MoBOB]
red Offline

Woot!

I am really glad I sent in a letter (petition) and called my representative.

Bravo to you, Doug, and KnifeRights to get the word out.

I hope most on this forum responded...it seems many did.

We're going to have to fight(legally, of course) for our rights and watch gov't like a hawk.

Well done, ya'll!

#178297 - 07/31/09 08:15 PM Re: Customs Officially Backs Off! [Re: red]
HerbG Offline

Great news! However, in my experience bureaucrats do not like having their plans foiled, and the good folks at Customs and Border Patrol may be back with something even more draconian later.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 265 Guests and 50 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.