Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#177666 - 07/25/09 10:56 PM New Survival Series Premieres tonight
Jeff Offline

I don't know if this has been discussed or not. Just in case here is the info since the premiere is tonight.
It looks like it will be a good series.
I'm' really looking forward to it.
What do you guys think?

Click here for info.

Edited by Jeff (07/26/09 01:01 AM)

Jeff

#177672 - 07/26/09 12:02 AM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: Jeff]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Awesome, hope it's available on dvd !

#177710 - 07/26/09 02:18 PM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: ]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
I watched it last night and it was rather....sad. By day two of his seven day "test run" in June of 2008 he was crying and all out of focus from lack of food.

I fell asleep during the first half of the show. This is not to say that the show was boring... I was just dead tired.

Izzy, I remember him catching and eating a fish of decent size. Did the fishing go bad that quickly?

#177719 - 07/26/09 03:20 PM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: ]
Desperado Offline
Veteran

Loc: DFW, Texas
Originally Posted By: Grouch
I watched it last night and it was rather....sad. By day two of his seven day "test run" in June of 2008 he was crying and all out of focus from lack of food.

I fell asleep during the first half of the show. This is not to say that the show was boring... I was just dead tired.

Izzy, I remember him catching and eating a fish of decent size. Did the fishing go bad that quickly?

He made the mistake of eating too much fish. Then throwing a lot of it away into the river because he was terrified of bears. This guy is like petrified of bears. They gave him a Remington 870 for protection during the 7 day trial.

But from what I read they gave him a cut down 870, .308 Rifle, .44 Pistol and .22 Rifle for the 3 month trip. Also if you watch the small daily videos that are on NatGeo.com that are airing before the show airs? You see that this guy KNOWS NOTHING. He's climbed mountains and stuff, but really knows nothing about outdooring. I'm not sure if this will end well. His little daily text message diary entries are just so short, bleak and filled with negativity.

I am afraid he reminds me of "Grizzly Man" Timothy Treadwell just a littler bit.

Ya' know that one didn't end well.

Edited by Desperado (07/26/09 03:20 PM)

RIP OBG

#177723 - 07/26/09 04:38 PM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: Desperado]
widget Offline
Addict

I think the guy is sincere but lacks the experience to be alone in the Yukon for 3 months. I really believe I would not be all tha happy alone in the Yukon for a long duration.

While we may not see any good survival technique from Ed, we will see what works and what doesn't. Mainly, we can observe the psychology of a person alone in the wild in a semi-survival situation.

I don't think it is that he is so much terrified of bears as he is aware of the consequences if he sustains a major injury with help so far away.

I'll watch the show and see how he holds up. I wish him well. At least he is not across the street from a resort hotel filming Man v. Wild style!

#177736 - 07/26/09 08:01 PM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: widget]
Jeff Offline

Originally Posted By: widget
I think the guy is sincere but lacks the experience to be alone in the Yukon for 3 months. I really believe I would not be all tha happy alone in the Yukon for a long duration.

While we may not see any good survival technique from Ed, we will see what works and what doesn't. Mainly, we can observe the psychology of a person alone in the wild in a semi-survival situation.

I agree. This will be educational no matter how it turns out.

Jeff

#177751 - 07/26/09 11:50 PM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: ]
Jeff Offline

The mental state. That's the part of our necessary survival gear that can't be bought. Hopefully we will learn a lot about that crucial element of survival from this series.

You read about it in books like "Deep Survival" but now we hopefully will get to see some of the reality of the mental aspect so we can use the information and lessons in our lives.

Thanks for the comments guys.

Jeff

#177775 - 07/27/09 07:05 AM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: Jeff]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
I need to remind myself not to check in on these things.... since I don't have TV I have to wait for the DVD versioN!!!

#177776 - 07/27/09 08:15 AM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: Jeff]
Grouch Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Ohio
Originally Posted By: Jeff
The mental state. That's the part of our necessary survival gear that can't be bought. Hopefully we will learn a lot about that crucial element of survival from this series.

We might learn something but the real deal is ultimately where the rubber meets the road. For example...

I am a cop. Over the course of twenty years, I have trained for and participated in an untold number of building searches. All require caution and careful execution and, in my experience, most result in no intruders being found. All in all, no big deal most of the time. A few weeks ago, I was home alone, messing around in the basement, when I thought I heard someone upstairs. I grabbed a weapon and proceeded to do a full search of my home. I don't know what I heard but there was no one else in the house and everything was secure.

What caught me off guard was the way my heart was pounding. Even with all of my training and experience on the street, it was totally different when I thought someone was in MY home. I now feel that no matter how much we learn and train before the fact, nothing can completely prepare us for the real deal except experiencing it. We can only hope that our training will take over when our mental state is compromised.

#177889 - 07/28/09 01:37 AM Re: New Survival Series Premieres tonight [Re: Grouch]
Jeff Offline

Quote:
We can only hope that our training will take over when our mental state is compromised.

Thanks for the anecdote. I agree with your statement.

Jeff

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 611 Guests and 101 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.