Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#175489 - 06/30/09 07:11 PM Blister Patrol
LED Offline
Veteran

Mobilization is pretty important to survival so I figure proper foot care may belong here. I have a popped blister on the heel thats a PITA. So far I'm wearing flip-flops whenever possible to let it dry out and speed up the healing. When I do wear shoes I layer up:

1st Layer: Band aid, or non-stick gauze pad

2nd Layer: 3M medical tape

3rd Layer: Duct tape

So far that works but I'm still getting some uncomfortable wear. The shoes I'm wearing most often now are leather dress shoes and sneakers. I don't have the time for this to drag out for a couple of weeks so what else can I do to: #1 Speed healing, #2 Properly protect the sore spot?

#175490 - 06/30/09 07:32 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: LED]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
in my personal experience ~ your mileage may vary ~ neosporin or bacitracin applied first will help keep the friction to a minimum, will keep the area moist and help prevent cracking of the new skin, and will help combat infection.

after many years of the dry-it-out crowd i've become a convert to the moist method.

#175492 - 06/30/09 08:25 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: bsmith]
kd7fqd Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Saratoga Springs,Utah,USA
Put the "duct tape" on first it'll help healing
I don't remember what ingredient is in duct tape but it helps "heel" pun intended

Mike

#175500 - 06/30/09 10:44 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: NightHiker]
GoatRider Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Maple Grove, MN
For smaller blisters, Band-aid's new Blister bandages work really good for me. Get both the fingers and toes version and the regular size, and use whichever fits best.

If you expect to get blisters but you don't have one yet, Band-aids Friction Block works quite well too. It's like a mini deodorant stick, that puts a bit of a greasy film on the hot-spot.

Spenco's Second Skin works pretty well too for larger blisters.

#175506 - 07/01/09 02:28 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: GoatRider]
Lono Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Pacific NW, USA
+1 on the Spenco Second skin. I don't have alot of experience treating blisters on the trail (happy feet all my life), but I put some of this stuff on a rubbed raw hot spot on my heel and then covered that with a knuckle bandage, and everything was gravy the rest of the day.

Knuckle bandages across the back of your heel - its my all purpose bandage for boo boos and up, it will prevent hot spots from becoming worse.

#175513 - 07/01/09 08:01 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: NightHiker]
LED Offline
Veteran

Thanks for the suggestions. I'm gonna go with Spenco 2nd skin, or if I can't find it (wasn't in any drugstores), I'll go with neosporin. Haven't had a heel blister in years. I was actually breaking in a pair of boots and had duct taped both heels just in case. Foot started to sweat and duct tape came lose, didn't realize until too late. Forgot just how problematic they can be.

#175517 - 07/01/09 11:52 AM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: LED]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca
Originally Posted By: LED
Foot started to sweat and duct tape came lose. Forgot just how problematic they can be.

to keep sticky things stuck ~ apply tincture of benzoin on dry skin first. non-prescription, but may have to ask pharmacist for it. also comes in single-use dose if you know any emergency room folks.

#175524 - 07/01/09 01:42 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: bsmith]
SwampDonkey Offline
Veteran

Loc: Northeastern Ontario, Canada
Lots of good advice on treating a blister here.

I had a foot problem a couple of weeks ago. I was on a field training exercise wearing well broken-in boots and fresh wool socks, my normal stuff. It was a hot day and shortly after I started hiking my feet started to heat-up, especially the back of my heels. I was not in a position to stop, so I just pushed through and dealt with the problem the first chance I got in the late afternoon. I expected my heels to be a mess but they were only red and tender, as was my entire foot? I applied some moleskin to my heels and changed my socks, problem solved. I think that I had a reaction to whatever detergent the socks were washed in, because I was on the course for 8 days and this was the only time I had difficulty with my feet?

Mike

#175527 - 07/01/09 02:44 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: NightHiker]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
Try a Spenco Second Skin blister kit, really good stuff.

Or bite bullet and give it a nice coat of tincture of benzoine.

+100! Spenco Second Skin is simply the best stuff there is for blisters. It takes one from being a hobbled invalid to feeling as if there is nothign wrong. I first used this stuff playing football in high school, many moons ago. When breaking in a new pair of cleats, you often got blisters. We'd put some Second Skin over the blister, secure it with athletic tape, and we were good to go.

Last fall, I gave it to someone 1000 feet from the summit of Mount Washington, and the pain went away, allowing her to finish the climb.

Two weekends back, DW's nephew had a ceremony marking his high school graduation, to which we had to go black tie. The boyfriend of DW's niece was being attacked by his shoes and was not walking well. A little Second Skin, and all discomfort was gone. He wanted to know why he never used the stuff when playing soccer.

It is the stuff. If you have a blister and need to keep going, settle for nothing else.

#175529 - 07/01/09 03:33 PM Re: Blister Patrol [Re: NightHiker]
UncleGoo Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: CT
Originally Posted By: NightHiker
...a nice coat of tincture of benzoine.

THAT brings back memories: At the start of the rowing season in high school, the nurse would have a line out the infirmary door, of kids with blistered hands. She'd spray the stuff on, and her assistant would dust us with talcum. She never used anything else...except a withering look, on the whiners;-)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 540 Guests and 103 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.