Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#175444 - 06/29/09 08:20 PM Tinder in Utah
moab Offline

Loc: England
I'm planning a river trip in Utah (Green River)in late August/Early September and have been doing some (basic) research on trees etc for use as fire fuel. Just to make it clear that the fire will only be if there are no restrictions and will be used near the waters edge in a fire pan. Obviousely if restrictions are in place then no fire

Secondly my interest is in case of problems (lose stove/boat etc)and the fire becomes "survival" oriented. What is the best wood that is likely to be found (tamarisk?)and can anyone advise on likely natural tinder that would generally take a spark from a firesteel?
As ever thanks for your advice
Moab

#175451 - 06/29/09 09:36 PM Re: Tinder in Utah [Re: moab]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Florida
Have personally done this trip twice, both ten day trips, self sufficient except for a resupply, on day five, by a local outfitter. When I went, there was no firepan needed, as sandy beaches are very plentiful, as was firewood.
Pick up copy of Belknap's revised waterproof Canyonlands River guide, as this guide covers all the areas of interest. I'm sure you'll want to hit Canyonlands National Park too, it's right next door.
We stayed at the local hostel, which was a great highlight of the trip, as were the nachos at the local mexican restaurant right off the main drag. You can arrange your own resupply from the outfitter as well, i'm sure, for a nominal fee. This cuts down on the bulk of stuff you'll need to take with you.
Water filtration is a must!!!! The first time I went it didn't rain at all, but there were very small pools of water hidden is recesses out of the sun.
Also, this may sound weird, in the middle of the desert, but beware of the mud surrounding some pools or around the shoreline. If the ground looks baked, with very deep cracks, test your footing first. My best friend lost both hiking boots because he wasn't looking too carefully where he was going.
Take a camera, preferably one that has panoramic features. I took my film camera, and went thru 20 rolls of film, and wished I had more. If taking a digital, take two or three cards with it, and spare batteries.
We stayed at Trin Alcove the first night, and just threw our sleeping bags on the ground and slept under the stars. The next night the moon was out and it seemed like someone was burning a 100 watt bulb, it was so bright.
Bugs, no problem, plenty of bats to keep them at bay. Beaver signs along the shore, and grey herons abound. Saw signs of a mountain lion which had brought down a deer, and accidentally cornered a deer as we walked up a wash in late afternoon. He had cut off his escape route, but gave him PLENTY of room to run out once we realized it.Plenty of sunscreen needed, and a bandana to shade your neck. I could go on and on, as this is bringing up a lot of very special memories.
You'll need to take or arrange to get a "groover", basocally a small port-a-potty. You're not supposed to just crap anywhere, as this pollutes the environment, and takes forever to decay, since so little rain occurs.
You can PM me for more details, if you'd like.

Dave

#175452 - 06/29/09 09:58 PM Re: Tinder in Utah [Re: barbakane]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Fort Bottom

Attachments
Fort Bottom pic 2.jpg

#175475 - 06/30/09 03:47 PM Re: Tinder in Utah [Re: barbakane]
moab Offline

Loc: England
Barbakane
Thanks for the response and the advice (fortunately the "groover" is supplied with the canoe!). Did you us elocal tinder for your fire?
Moab

#175477 - 06/30/09 04:20 PM Re: Tinder in Utah [Re: moab]
barbakane Offline
Enthusiast

Yes, it's all over the place. Lots of petrified wood too, so you'll come across that as well. Just ask the outfitter for the groover, but it should be included with the canoe. Definitely a "floating" river, meaning you'll not really need to row much at all.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 238 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.