The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#174619 - 06/10/09 04:17 AM New Malaria Drug - Coartem - approved by FDA
redflare Offline
Addict

Loc: SF Bay Area, CA
This is sort of an exciting news!

Finally FDA has approved an antimalarial drug which was already approved in 80 other countries.
This drug treats malaria, including that caused by multi-drug resistant Falciparum.

"Coartem is comprised of two key ingredients; artemether, which is a derivative of artemisinin, and lumefantrine (or benflumetol) an antimalarial drug. The combination of these two ingredients has led to one of the most successful malaria treatments of its kind. Coartem is a highly effective and well-tolerated malaria treatment, providing cure rates of up to 97%, even in areas of multi-drug resistance."

#174709 - 06/11/09 07:50 PM Re: New Malaria Drug - Coartem - approved by FDA [Re: redflare]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
Good man. Good. I climbed Kilimanjaro on Lariam and was high like a kite... I thought that Malarone was better.

#174715 - 06/11/09 09:24 PM Re: New Malaria Drug - Coartem - approved by FDA [Re: Polak187]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
That is good. I'm hoping they come up with something for West Nile which was just found in my city recently. Actually vaccines would be best, but I know there are serious difficulties with both manufacture and efficacy of many of these.

#174720 - 06/11/09 10:15 PM Re: New Malaria Drug - Coartem - approved by FDA [Re: ]
Polak187 Offline
Veteran

Loc: Brooklyn, New York
They did the same here in nyc with spraying stuff late at night... But now we probably have some crazy mutant mosquitos brewing an evil plan to take the power back smile

#174752 - 06/12/09 06:20 PM Re: New Malaria Drug - Coartem - approved by FDA [Re: ]
massacre Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Central Illinois
Originally Posted By: IzzyJG99
Originally Posted By: massacre
That is good. I'm hoping they come up with something for West Nile which was just found in my city recently. Actually vaccines would be best, but I know there are serious difficulties with both manufacture and efficacy of many of these.

They made a big stink when they first found West Nile and Equine Disease here in Florida about 5 years ago. They (County Government) began to deploy foggers on the back of trucks around the county late at night about twice a week. They also dispatched sprayers all over the place to spray bodies of water and release special fish to eat the larvae.

And now...we never have any West Nile problems.

They spray here as well, but it's been REALLY damp for months with unseasonably frequent rainstorms, and the little buggers are coming out in force. I've read it's going to be a real nightmare in the southwest with massive foreclosures and empty, untreated swimming pools.

But you can't entirely get rid of the source... so it would be nice to have both a cure and a prophylactic.

#174755 - 06/12/09 09:15 PM Re: New Malaria Drug - Coartem - approved by FDA [Re: redflare]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
The CDC
http://www.cdc.gov/malaria/features/surveillance.htm
says there were 10 cases of malaria contracted in the US in 2003, and about twelve hundred cases overall (those not contracted in the US were contracted during overseas travel); seven people died.

I'd guess the major benefit of this drug approval is for people traveling to areas where malaria is a risk. Coartem is used to treat malaria; it does not work as a preventive.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 554 Guests and 67 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.