Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#172983 - 05/09/09 11:37 AM Need cellphone - issues to consider?
Henry_Porter Offline

Hello, all.

My third-hand Palm PDA/cellphone finally died, and I want to replace it. Hopefully you might have some insights regarding useful features of your mobile phone.

Here's how I used my phone and my general attitude and values regarding it. I suppose I'll use a new phone in a similar way but thought I may be unaware of uses and "equipped" applications since I haven't kept up with recent technology.

- used in the USA
- use 300-500 minutes/month
- use the contact/address list
- rarely use text messaging capability but understand this can be very useful, especially when voice transmission is not available
- like to have it with me on frequent bicycle rides that put me 50-100 miles from home
- use it daily for business and home purposes
- never sync'ed up my Palm PDA/phone with email because I'm not sure I want to be in constant email contact nor to pay for that service (although I'm open to it)
- can see the value of Internet access with it for traffic updates, mapping but get along fine without it currently (and for some reason am ambivalent about GPS tracking capabilities unless I control it; yeah, I know, I may be illogical about this)
- I'm generally frugal about such things but can treat the phone and monthly fee as a business expense.

I've searched the archives and found some good info, especially regarding Tracfones, James Kim, Twitter and wilderness use/non-use of phones. My typical use scenario is 95% in populated urban environments with decent coverage by major carriers.

Thanks for any tips you can share.

#172984 - 05/09/09 12:24 PM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: Henry_Porter]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
The way you use your phone tells me you only need a standard flip-phone.

I don't text/IM, but email would be good because then I don't need to be at an office -- occasionally but not much. However, I prefer a full keyboard so have stayed with a standard flip-phone from Moto and all I use it for is voice/voice mail. I hesitate to upgrade but if I do it will be to a Blackberry Curve type phone for the email commectivity while out of the office.

Not going there yet.

#172987 - 05/09/09 02:51 PM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: Russ]
Henry_Porter Offline

Thanks for the reply, Russ.

Yes, to date I've used my phone like a basic voice/voice mail phone as you note. (With the additional use of addresses from my contact list.) I'm wondering if there are functions and features on current phones that might be good to have from an "equipment" point of view (personal and business communications, travel aids, emergency data shortlist or backup, applications I'm unaware of). I'm finding that marketing and sales materials aren't clarifying my research much.

I tend to think along the lines of "If the cellphone systems are overloaded or down, text message may work" or "I can definitely see how access to maps or mapping features could be handy to me" or "Maybe it WOULD be useful to be able to access email when away from the office."

Also, I don't want to overlook something useful just because I can be a bit of a retro-grouch who thinks "I've been getting by not using the capabilities of the old phone I had, why bother/pay more for unlimited data services? Young whippersnappers all hopped up on 3G this, 4G that." smile

#172990 - 05/09/09 06:07 PM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: Henry_Porter]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
There are a lot of issues to consider. I have a Virgin Mobile phone - similar to a tracphone, I pay for minutes I use, and I don't use nearly as many as you do. It will send text, which I consider a necessity for emergencies, as texts often go through when you can't get a dial tone. I don't check email with it, but sending text messages to my wife is handy more often than I'd have expected. It has a camera, and I wish it had video, too. Plain vanilla phone.

My wife used to have a Palm phone of some kind (not a PDA combo). Now she has an iPhone. When we're in San Francisco, she can use it to find parking spaces (some iPhone app or other). When we're with friends, she can use it to get directions when somebody's husband won't ask (our cars have navigation built in). It has Safari, a real Web browser; her Palm wasn't worth the aggravation for checking something on the Web. She can google the name of a restaurant, get it's number and call for reservations on the spot where ever we are. The apps available for the iPhone are astounding; many are free, many are a few bucks. She can photo a SKU tag and compare prices in the store, with Amazon. If the store has a Web presence, she can compare the in store price with online, order it online if cheaper and have it delivered "to the store" with free shipping and pick it up while we're there at the online price. :->

For some reason the iPhone is much more useable than her Palm phone. She has three screens full of additional apps that I don't have a clue about, but which she uses for stuff.

I'm happy with my Virgin Mobile, and she's much happier with her iPhone.

#172994 - 05/09/09 07:42 PM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: philip]
Henry_Porter Offline

Thanks for the info, Philip. I used Apple computers at work and at home, and had only just started considering an iPhone this afternoon after stopping by a cellphone store while running errands today. This store was pushing the Blackberry Curve, and this had me starting to search online for comparable devices. Thus I ended up looking online at iPhone specs and reviews.

You're right -- there are a lot of issues to consider. If I'm going to get internet service for email and browsing, I like the idea of having a full-fledged browser (Safari in this case).

I'm going to make a list of needs, uses, nice-to-have's and weigh them against the expense and my other priorities.

#173049 - 05/10/09 02:59 PM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: Henry_Porter]
oldsoldier Offline
Old Hand

Loc: MA
I have limited experience with an iphone, not owning one. However, consider your coverage area; AT&T has poor coverage in alot of the areas I travel in. Your best bet is to choose a carrier first, then see what devices fit your needs (or wants). Me, I use a Blackberry Curve. I work for Sprint, so, naturally, thats the carrier I have. Be aware that, with a smartphone, your data usage is key; you will HAVE to have a plan that includes data (otherwise, why get a smartphone?). If you like, feel free to PM me, I can give you additional info.

#173058 - 05/10/09 05:32 PM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: Henry_Porter]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
It's useful to be able to read eBooks in some open format, so you can keep reference information and entertainment on it.

Similarly you can store some maps, knots, first aid info etc in picture form.

Some phones have an FM radio (which generally needs the ear phone lead as an aerial), which could be invaluable for picking up broadcast information in a crisis. Even weather forecasts. Especially if the internet isn't available.

There are apps which will tell you where the sun and moon are, which can help with basic navigation if you don't have a proper compass or GPS.

A camera can be useful. A photograph of the snake that bit you may help the doctor figure out how long you have to live. You can use it to keep records of landmarks, or for evidence after a car crash.

Some phones are designed for survival. Eg http://www.durrocomm.com/lm801rugged.html features include:
Torch Lighting
Laser Pointer
Built in barometer and altimeter
Built in Compass
Built in Thermometer
FM Radio

#173063 - 05/10/09 06:37 PM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: Brangdon]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
I have always tried to pick only rugged cell phones. I like them a lot. My first hard use phone was Nokia 5210 - very good piece of gear.
Now I use Nokia 5140i (discontinued quite a long time ago). It is a little bit rugged (splashproof etc.) but nothing like legendary Nokia 6250. It has another unique features that make it a decent outdoor/"survival" phone. For example flashlight, digital compass, FM radio. I often use the flashlight and the compass. It´s capability to withstand some falls, humidity and rain has already payed off for me several times.
I guess the Nokia will serve me for many months to come but recently released mil-spec Sonim XP3 Enduro caught my eye. I might upgrade to it in the future.

These are not true smartphones, so not ideal for everyone.

#173082 - 05/11/09 12:55 AM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: raptor]
urbansurvivalist Offline

Loc: Asheville, NC
I have the Verizon/Casio G'ZOne Type V, and I really like it- durable, waterproof(I've taken pictures underwater with it), large enough to hold and use comfortably, and its just a badass looking phone. Unfortunately, after having it about a year and half, I'm having issues with poor recetption and will need to replace it soon. Apparently they can design a phone that can handle being repeatedly dropped on concrete and abused in all kinds of ways, but they don't want it to last more than a year or 2 so they can sell you a new phone.

Despite the short lifespan, I really like knowing that my phone isn't going to break in the field from rough conditions, so I'm leaning towards buying the latest version, the G'Zone Boulder. I don't like the appearance or feel as much, but it has some features the first one didn't, most importantly to me is the removable memory card, since transferring pictures through the verizon webpage is a tedious process involving many steps. It also adds a digital compass and has the same ruggedized features as previous versions, though I have no personal experience with its durability. It can use the VZ navigator service if you're willing to pay for it. Apparently the voice quality is less than many phones, personally I'm willing to make that trade-off.

Left: Old Type-V Right: G'zOne Boulder

#173088 - 05/11/09 01:24 AM Re: Need cellphone - issues to consider? [Re: urbansurvivalist]
raptor Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Europe
Wow, that looks like hell of a phone. I like the look of the Type-V and the new G'zOne Boulder doesn´t look bad either. I didn´t know about these Casio phones at all. I wonder whether these are even being sold in Europe. I will check them out.

This is the Sonim XP3 I mentioned. Check it out, its features look pretty impressive. It comes in yellow and black color. In my opinion the black version looks very good.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 617 Guests and 114 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.