Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#170239 - 03/27/09 08:02 PM AMK Ten Essentials Leader RT vs. SOL3
BrianB Offline

I just ran across both of these larger kits in a Sportsman's Warehouse. Both are around $50 retail. The Ten Essentials kit has been phased out according to AMK, so there won't be any more once the current stock is sold out. The S.O.L. 3 is the replacement.

From what I can see, the Ten Essentials kit has a better whistle (more durable, and multi-frequency), and a much better compass (which I don't currently have, unless my 20+ year old military compass buried somewhere in storage still works). The S.O.L. 3 seems to have a bit more medical supplies and repair supplies.

Now, the intended use is to toss into a small day pack during daytime hikes on state park trails here in Washington, along with a couple of other things. I won't be doing anything off the beaten path at all, so worse case scenario is probably more of holing up for a few hours in inclement weather versus an unplanned overnight stay (though... stuff happens). Secondary use is to toss said pack into the car when taking any road trips.

My thoughts are that the Ten Essentials kit may be the better deal, but I wanted to ask here to see if there's anything I'm overlooking. My primary concern is first aid more than survival, and both kits seem fit for dual purpose, with a little beefing up of the first aid section.

#170247 - 03/27/09 11:21 PM Re: AMK Ten Essentials Leader RT vs. SOL3 [Re: BrianB]
lifeview Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Nashville,TN USA
I vote for the S.O.L 3. It has a better firestarting, a light, button compass and cordage. Plus some gear repair items that may prove useful. Also check and make sure the meds aren't about to expire in the 10 Essentials Leader kit. It might be old. The absence of the book is regrettable however.

Contents are listed here.

#170418 - 03/31/09 09:13 PM Re: AMK Ten Essentials Leader RT vs. SOL3 [Re: BrianB]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
I'd lean to the SOL 3, with the following modifications:

Bigger mirror.
Lighter and/or matches.

And I'd add a better compass to your overall gear. This is just a back up. Theoretically, you could probably get a slightly larger compass in here, but.. *shrugs*

That being said, I don't see the Top 10 as a survival kit with medical items, as I the SOL3. Instead, it is a FAK with some survival gear, but you still need to add signals and some more fire starting gear.

I like them both. I think both need to be tinkered with.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.