Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#168744 - 03/05/09 08:30 PM Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks
GettingThere Offline

I was thinking of getting a home-defense weapon, and from the opinions listed here and elsewhere, have settled on getting a 12 gauge shotgun, most likely a Mossberg 500 series. I fired one at a shooting range, and the instructor advised me to invest the extra $150 or so in a Knoxx recoil stock.

I was wondering if anyone here has any experience with the Knoxx, and what I can expect it to do to the gun's accuracy/performance. Also, I know this may be opening a can of worms, but I would welcome arguments for and against the Mossberg line of products.

Thanks, as always.

Mark

#168747 - 03/05/09 08:37 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: GettingThere]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
I don't have any information about Knoxx products but at $150 you might want to try something cheaper first. I have a short-barreled Mosin-Nagant rifle that kicked like a a drunk Mike Tyson. It was tamed into a kitten by a $9 slip-on recoil pad from Academy Sports.

Another thing would be to switch to lower-powered self defense rounds. I don't remember the name of any off the top of my head, but my CCW instuctor recommended them for home-defense shotguns used by small-statured people or those not used to shooting.

-Blast

Edited by Blast (03/05/09 08:39 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#168750 - 03/05/09 09:23 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: Blast]
MedB Offline

First, that's a solid choice for home defense. Futher, I applaud you for getting some training. Keep that up.

As for your questions... Blast has it right. Here is my take:

#1 Low recoil 00 buck for your 12 guage is an EXCELLENT choice.
*it tends to pattern better
*the kick reduction really helps second shot accuracy (et al) for most shooters
*it slightly lessens over-penetration in the home
*it takes off just enough to make a nice difference without sacrificing real-world stopping power in nearly all situations

#2 The Knoxx stocks are interesting and some combat shooters swear by them. But for most folks, a top quality recoil pad, or better yet, a stock wit a built-in pad is a better and cheaper choice. You migh consider something with the Limbsaver pad and/or a Speedfeed stock. Heck there is even one that will hold 4 extra rounds so you can talk yourself out of bolting on the silly side saddle!
One more thought, while the specops stocks from Knoxx do reduce the felt recoil, they do so with movement. Depending on what you are doing with the gun that can be an issue.

In any case, the Mossberg is a solid choice. Good luck with it.

#168753 - 03/05/09 10:43 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: MedB]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Ditto the above. Try a cheap pad first. Limbsaver is supposed to be pretty good. Go to the Knoxx website, there's some videos about how it helps (showing shooters). There's also the option of a recoil pad that mounts to the stock, in place of the standard pad, that's supposed to be good too (I think Limbsaver makes them as well).

Personally, I found that my 870 doesn't kick too bad with buckshot. Slugs, yeah, they hurt. But then, I'm used to a Mauser and Mosin-Nagant, so I'm kind of a "big kick" kind of shooter. If you're using birdshot, it kicks even less (for home distances, birdshot MIGHT be OK). Personally, my first round is bird, with follow up buckshot.

FYI, I have a slip on pad on my 870.

#168754 - 03/05/09 10:51 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: MDinana]
Pete Offline
Veteran

If you want to improve safety in your home, and get a bead on an intruder (before he shoots you), consider buying a Baby Monitor from your local electronics store. These are essentially low-cost security cameras, and they come with a radio link between the camera and a handheld TV screen. You can place the camera (which is small) to cover the key access ways in your house, and keep the handheld screen beside your bed. Presto! You can see any problem if your hear a noise in your house, without getting into the line of fire of an approaching burglar. Check out the various models, because some cameras don't work well at night, and some radio links are interrupted by cell phones. But the good Baby Monitors have excellent resolution and no cell phone disturbances.

Pete

#168756 - 03/05/09 11:30 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: Pete]
Comanche7 Offline
Addict

Loc: Florida
FWIW

There is a concern with using any radio transmitting device in that you are NOT the only one that can receive the transmissions.

Admittedly the signal strength is not very high and has a rather limited range, but it could also provide others with the same view that you have, which is why I encourage folks to keep their computer and laptop cameras physically covered when not in use, it is TOO easy for them to be hijacked without your knowledge.

Regards,
Comanche7

#168757 - 03/05/09 11:31 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: GettingThere]
CBP Offline
Stranger

I would settle on a cheaper pad too. I just looked at the 500 series and the 930 which comes with either porting or a muzzlebreak. In heavier loads, you get not only recoil to the shoulder, but muzzle jump as well which affects accuracy too. And the lighter the gun, the less mass there is to absorb recoil. I might investigate some sort of break.

That said, even my really seasoned shoulder does not shoot slugs well. I recently saw a personal defense program that showed slugs vs. buckshot vs. birdshot and the damage each does at different distances through walls, etc. I'm going to arm with 1-1/8 oz of 7-1/2 shot. Given my house size and set up, I can't risk sending a slug into the neighbor boys' bedroom.

#168759 - 03/05/09 11:43 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: Pete]
turbo Offline

Loc: Oregon
I purchased a 12 gauge short barrel Mosberg 500 shotgun two years ago for my wife's self defense since I am away often. Due to past operations, she can't have anything against her shoulders that kick at all. I purchased a Knoxx Breachers hand grip and removed the stock. The Breachers Grip has a spring that takes up the recoil. It works beautifully. She can shoot any load bird, slug, or breacher with no problem. Her only complaint is that she can't fit the gun in her purse.

On one of Knoxx's videos, it depicts shooting the shotgun single handed like a pistol. Although I don't recommend it, I have done it with no problem or pain. I beleive I purchased the Breachers Grip for $99.00 off the net.

Our indoor gun club is two block from our home and she is there at least once a week with one of her hand guns. When I am home, we head out to the clubs outdoor range where she practices with the shotgun and larger caliber hand guns.

I always let her know when I will return home late at night for my own self defense!

#168760 - 03/05/09 11:53 PM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: turbo]
CBP Offline
Stranger

Originally Posted By: turbo

I always let her know when I will return home late at night for my own self defense!

My husband does too after I was yelling out in my sleep one night, "Stop or I'll shoot!"

#168763 - 03/06/09 12:29 AM Re: Experience with Knoxx recoil stocks [Re: CBP]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Unless you are a lot smaller than the weapon I vote the opposite.
Keep it simple, keep it stock.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 262 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.