Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#165524 - 01/28/09 09:31 PM Received my Pico Light - mini review
Jeff Offline

It is awesome!
It's much smaller than I thought it would be.
It is perfect for keychains.
I am very impressed with how this light has been designed from the amount of friction to turn on the light to the size of the clip.
AWESOME!

The light pattern on the wall is PERFECT. I have a lot of flashlights and I spend a lot of time on flashlight forums, so I have seen plenty of beam patterns as projected on the wall, etc.
It has a huge flood, but the focused part of the beam in the middle is very strong. It has a perfect balance between throw and wide beam.

It is quite a bit brighter than the Photon Freedom lights I have with fresh batteries.
However, I don't think the PICO light is even close to 10 lumens.
I have several other lights that have regulated output. Several of them are made my fenix.
The 9 lumen setting on my Fenix lights is MUCH brighter than the PICO light.
That's fine with me.

The price that was set for this product is proper. So many companies set prices high and then stop producing or refining a product because sales volume isn't sufficient. The sales volume at $9.95 will be sufficient. Smart call.

Edited by Jeff (01/28/09 09:36 PM)

Jeff

#165528 - 01/28/09 10:16 PM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: Jeff]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Idaho
I'd love to see one but with the shipping charge it goes from $10 to $15 or more. Then, I'd have to go out and start buying new batteries of a type I wouldn't otherwise use.

I'd wondered why this light instead of the Photon considering the Photon has what, 10x the run time? I suppose brighter is better but the Photons are pretty dang bright. I've also got 4 Fenix E01's and find them pretty small but large enough to handle with about 20 hours of run time total in a single AAA.

I don't mean to sound like I'm knocking this little flashlight I'm just wondering if it really fits a niche not already served.

#165530 - 01/28/09 10:24 PM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: CSG]
7point82 Offline
Addict

Loc: Orange Beach, AL
I believe one of the primary criteria for the Pico light was that it had to be inexpensive enough to include in the upcoming PSP+.

I love the Fenix lights but I think it's safe to assume that an EO1 would have caused an unacceptable financial impact on the PSP+.

#165534 - 01/28/09 10:45 PM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: 7point82]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Well, the Princeton button lights retail for less than $10 I believe and have 10-12 hour run times. Longer battery storage life too.

But Doug has thought about this more than I have and am sure he has his reasons which will probably be addressed in a FAQ when the + kit comes out.

#165538 - 01/28/09 10:55 PM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: CSG]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Just got mine today too, and agree it's smaller than I anticipated, and it's nice and bright. The only thing that worries me is that there is nothing to protect the LED bulb. Anyone else think that may be an issue?

My wife loves it, so it looks like I'll be ordering another. It will also get on quite a few gift lists next holiday season.

#165540 - 01/28/09 11:10 PM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: el_diabl0]
yeti Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: somewhere out there...
Originally Posted By: el_diabl0
The only thing that worries me is that there is nothing to protect the LED bulb. Anyone else think that may be an issue?

Are you saying there is no glass or plastic lens over the bulb?

#165541 - 01/28/09 11:17 PM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: el_diabl0]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
It is recessed in the crown of the light, right? Lots of LED lights are designed like that, no worries. LEDs are TOUGH.

As for why this design, not a Photon, for me it is simple: harder to turn on accidentally. If I have a light that will throw light for X duration, I want to know that it isn't going to get shorted by Y just because I had it in my pocket. Yes, it is a new kind of battery, but they are small and inexpensive if you know where to look. And it is physically a lot more robust than the coin light.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#165542 - 01/28/09 11:24 PM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: ironraven]
el_diabl0 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: NE Ohio
Correct, nothing over the bulb. It isn't recessed very deep, in fact, the top of the bulb is nearly flush with the rim.

#165548 - 01/29/09 12:10 AM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: el_diabl0]
CSG Offline
Journeyman

Just FYI, the Fenix E01 also does not have a protective lens. I was surprised when I got mine. So far, no problems.

#165554 - 01/29/09 01:36 AM Re: Received my Pico Light - mini review [Re: el_diabl0]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
That is all it needs. So long as nothing can catch it from the sides, the LED isn't likely to have anything go wrong with it. The danger there is just bending a lead or pulling it out. If that doesn't happen, it is probably as strong as the body *laughs* My Infinity has the same design, so do a lot of lights, never heard of a problem.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 291 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.