The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#154588 - 11/07/08 08:47 PM "A day hike that almost ended in death"
Arney Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: California
I was just reading this article about two local hikers who got lost on a day hike on Mt. Baldy. Everything started out so innocently, as these things always do.

There's this one scene that the reporter describes that sent a chill down my spine. It was pitch dark that night. One of them had a headlamp but when she turned it on, the batteries immediately died. So they kept hiking in the darkness and to keep from walking off a cliff, they would toss pebbles in front of them as they walked. At one point, they toss a pebble in front and there's no sound. So they turn around and head back but suddenly tossing a pebble in that direction also results in silence. Uh oh...

Fortunately, they're both fine. There are a series of points in their ordeal where they might have done something differently, such as being off-trail when they first spot fog, when the guy injures himself, when they realize their only light source is useless at night, etc. As an educational exercise, putting yourself in these same decision points, with exactly the same gear (or lack of), would you have done things differently and if so, what would you have done at those decision points?

#154592 - 11/07/08 09:42 PM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: Arney]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I would've stopped hiking with enough daylight left to build a fire and/or shelter. Moving around in the dark on the edge of a canyon is unwise. At least he acted a bit more intelligent on the second day.

#154606 - 11/08/08 12:25 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: ]
comms Offline
Veteran

Loc: Mesa, AZ
It's articles like this that affirm my preparedness skills and my EDC. Could I still get into trouble? Absolutely. Do I take every pre-caution that I should? No. But I never take nature or my skills for granted.

#154614 - 11/08/08 01:39 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: benjammin]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
No kidding- I'd rather risk exposure than finding the rim. If I was that badly blacked out, I'd just sit down and wait for dawn. You can do a lot about being cold- you can't do much about gravity.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#154626 - 11/08/08 03:16 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: ironraven]
stevenpd Offline
Journeyman

Loc: SoCal
1) not leave at such a late hour.
2) stay on a clear trail.
3) heed my sixth sense and hunker down when the fog hit.
4) when it gets dark, not moving around without any kind of light.

#154629 - 11/08/08 03:30 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: stevenpd]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
If I remember properly (and it's been a while since I did Baldy), the last 1/2 mile or so is almost a "spine" as you hike - very narrow, and rather steep. Narrow, as in a few feet across, with steep sides. Think of walking along a knife edge, where the cutting portion is about 4-6 feet wide.

Then again, it could be one of other summits in that range - I haven't been to Baldy in about 15 years.

Anyway, yeah, I can see them getting onto a ledge what's surrounded by very steep drop offs.

You'd think they'd have enough light bouncing out from metro L.A.

#154640 - 11/08/08 07:18 AM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: MDinana]
LED Offline
Veteran

You're right, it gets narrow and steep. That's whats tricky about the Baldy area. Fun, easily accessible hike but easy to get into trouble if you're not careful. And especially this time of year the weather can change in minutes. Sounds like they got too comfortable.

#154643 - 11/08/08 01:27 PM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: LED]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
It seemed to me they forgot to apply STOP (stop, think, observe, plan). It could have ended very badly.

I've read many such "day hike gone wrong" stories here and in other places to have decided that there is no such thing as a "day hike." There are only over night hikes that don't last that long.

I think most of us would agree that on a casual "day hike" you still need to be prepared to spend at least one night in cold and wet conditions, maybe more. Three days?

#154651 - 11/08/08 03:34 PM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: bws48]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Originally Posted By: bws48
It seemed to me they forgot to apply STOP (stop, think, observe, plan). It could have ended very badly.

I've read many such "day hike gone wrong" stories here and in other places to have decided that there is no such thing as a "day hike." There are only over night hikes that don't last that long.

I think most of us would agree that on a casual "day hike" you still need to be prepared to spend at least one night in cold and wet conditions, maybe more. Three days?

LOL Yeah, my GF thinks I'm nuts when we go on a 5 mile hike and I'm carrying a 15# bag. Granted, the bag itself is probably 3# of that, and I'm carrying her water too.

I carry, routinely, 2 qt water, 10 essentials, 1 MRE, a few power bars, FAK, PSK, and usually a HeatSheet Bivy on day hikes. Add in usually some sort of insulating shirt or jacket. That's for "good" weather hikes. If it's winter, I'll add an Esbit stove, and usually a second space blanket. Of course, that's in addition to whatever clothes I feel appropriate for the day. I might add a pair of wool glove liners and an extra pair of socks depending on the terrain.

So, yes, I think it's safe to say your idea of "overnight hikes that don't last long" is right on!

#154669 - 11/08/08 06:51 PM Re: "A day hike that almost ended in death" [Re: MDinana]
TeacherRO Offline
Carpal Tunnel

More and more "day" hikers are needing rescue. Maybe time for some classes and a sign at the trail head about prep. dangers and equipment.

The interesting thing here how any number of small things would have helped them -- stick to the trail, turn-around sooner, gps, 2x aa batteries....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.