Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#154235 - 11/04/08 03:22 AM How to survive a plane crash.
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/5402342.stm

Quote:
Flying may be the safest form of transport, but many of the three million people who take to the air each day are terrified of crashing. Now more than ever, though, it's possible to survive a plane crash.

Most people believe that if they're in a plane crash their time is up. In fact the truth is surprisingly different. In the US alone, between 1983 and 2000, there were 568 plane crashes. Out of the collective 53,487 people onboard, 51,207 survived.

The advances in science and technology now mean over 90% of plane crashes have survivors. And there are many things you might consider to increase your chances of surviving.

"Surviving an aircraft crash is not a matter of fate. You can help yourself getting out of an aircraft quickly, and so there are things you can do to improve your chances of surviving," says Professor Galea.

There is an accompanying video to this article that is available on the web. The website has a couple of snippets but the whole video is more interesting so I included the YouTube link. It was aired on the BBC a couple of years ago but I can't remember if it was discussed here.

http://tinyurl.com/59sks9

#154238 - 11/04/08 03:29 AM Re: How to survive a plane crash. [Re: Roarmeister]
Sherpadog
Unregistered

Thanks for the link.

I watch Mayday on Discovery Channel when I can. Very informative and explains the science (and human error) behind airplane crashes. I like how they stress that not one crash is ever caused by a single event...rather it is always a serious of events that cause the crash.

#154309 - 11/04/08 11:40 PM Re: How to survive a plane crash. [Re: ]
sodak Offline
Addict

I used to work at McDonnell Douglas, and we had quite a few pilots as consultants. They were all military, or former military pilots. One used to be fond of saying that there are around 10 things that have to happen at the same time for a crash to occur. Any time a plane is in the air, 2 or 3 of those things are already happening...

The military, when designing transport aircraft, consider a survivable crash one in which the plane goes from 150 to 0 in a quarter of a second. Yes, you read that right. That's why military planes make everyone sit facing the rear for good back support and load distribution in a sudden stop.

#154645 - 11/08/08 01:51 PM Re: How to survive a plane crash. [Re: sodak]
Brangdon Offline
Veteran

Loc: Nottingham, UK
The article repeats the claim that it doesn't matter where you sit. My understanding is that being on or very close to an exit row is statistically safer. Whether you survive the immediate crash depends on the unpredictable details, but if you do, getting off the plane quickly is good.

(Theoretically if you are on an exit row you may be worse off if that exit can't be used, because you will be furthest from your second-nearest exit. However, I think that's unlikely and out-weighed by the benefits if you can use it. If you are mid-way between two exits, which ever one you go for you'll have to wait for a lot of other people to evacuate in front of you.)

#154683 - 11/09/08 01:31 AM Re: How to survive a plane crash. [Re: Brangdon]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Originally Posted By: Brangdon
The article repeats the claim that it doesn't matter where you sit. My understanding is that being on or very close to an exit row is statistically safer. Whether you survive the immediate crash depends on the unpredictable details, but if you do, getting off the plane quickly is good.

I don't think they were trying to say that it doesn't matter where you sit - I think they were saying that because of the unpredictability of HOW an airplane was going to crash, there is no one best place to be on the airplane. That said, your odds of getting out of plane crash go up if you are within 7 rows of an exit.

As a general rule, I like to be within 3 rows of an exit which usually means a middle of the aircraft position. The middle of the aircraft "generally" is a better place to sit if you are experiencing a lot of air turbulence rather than at the far front or far rear of the aircraft.

#154693 - 11/09/08 03:42 AM Re: How to survive a plane crash. [Re: ]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
I fly most often on small aircraft and helicopters. My last flight was on a Beechcraft, the last flight to be allowed to land in Pensacola before it was closed due to an approaching hurricane. It was quite a flight, about an eight on the pucker meter, as multiple alarms and voice warnings sounded in the cockpit and we were buffeted about heavily and blown off the glide path on final.

As a crash rescue expert, and as someone who hates leaving my safety up to others, I always try for an exit seat, preferably an over-wing one. Theoretically, this is the structurally strongest part of the airframe. However, if you are flying in the third world and mainly worried about hijacking, I'm told exit seats are not a good plan, since that is where the cavalry may enter the aircraft.

I try to wear long sleeves and pants, in natural, non-melting fibers. I also plan to go straight over the seat backs and avoid the aisles, if possible. I also actually review the safety card and know exactly where the exits are.

Jeff

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 305 Guests and 42 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.