Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >
Topic Options
#143354 - 08/08/08 11:42 PM Survival odds and ends?
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Multi-tool? Check.
Good folding knife? Check.
Pocket Survival Pack? Check.
First Aid Kit?
Duct-tape?
Flashlight?
Fire-starting tools?
Bandana or hankie?
Collapsible water bottle? And purification tablets?

Check, check, check, and... you get the idea, guys!

My point is, we all know to carry the "essentials" whether its in our EDC or pocket survival kits. But does anybody think about or already have the "odds and ends" (little items that are overlooked at first)? You know, the junk and flotsam that just might come in handy later?

I was making a little sojurn to the dollar store right down the street from me, just for something to do. I came across a bunch of displays and I purchased several add-water-to-expand washcloths (they're like regular washcloths, not the thin ones you get at WallyWorld), some rolls of Necco Wafers (they don't melt in your glovebox or your desk drawer, heh heh heh), a floating keychain, and some other little trinkets.

I put one of the washcloths in my survival kit (contained in a Case Logic portable hard drive case, BIG THANKS to whoever made the post about that first!), a roll of Necco Wafers in my glove box, and clipped the keychain to my carabiner, although I doubt it would float with some of the weight (but the day-glo color could be easy to see through shallow water).

With this little story told, what kind of "odds and ends" that are off the suggested carry list do you guys have in your EDC's or kits - that have come in handy? I'd love to hear some of your ideas and suggestions. Because you can't have enough junk rattling around in your pockets! laugh

#143358 - 08/09/08 12:10 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
Parker pen refill. Fits in your wallet and you can write with it. Who needs Swisscards???

On that note, some sort of paper sheet. It can have words on it or whatever, it's still good for writing, fire starting and (mainly) wiping your aesthetically challenged parts.

Rubber bands. Keep wires and lanyards neat and organized, plus could one day save your life. Somehow. Probably.

Snack. Use something physically tough and full of calories - somebody here suggested halvah once and it worked great for me. I use 20 gramm portions.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#143361 - 08/09/08 12:28 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Rodion]
DrmstrSpoodle Offline

Oooh! grinRubber bands - I've got a whole bunch in my desk drawer but I totally forgot those! Will band up my cordage here in a little bit. Thanks! Hope we can keep this topic going for more ideas...

#143364 - 08/09/08 01:09 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
BobS Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Toledo Ohio
Put the rubber bands in a mini zip lock bag. They dry out quick and become brittle and break. I use a lot of them in my work and find a few weeks sitting in my van exposed to the heat in it (a carpet machine and the suns heat) they are worthless.

You can run, but you'll only die tired.

#143371 - 08/09/08 01:37 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Dental floss, plain, waxed.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143372 - 08/09/08 01:39 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: ironraven]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: ironraven
Dental floss, plain, waxed.

And an awl needle, the kind with a hole near the tip, for sewing heavier stuff.

Jeff

#143373 - 08/09/08 01:46 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: DrmstrSpoodle
(snip) With this little story told, what kind of "odds and ends" that are off the suggested carry list do you guys have in your EDC's or kits - that have come in handy? I'd love to hear some of your ideas and suggestions. Because you can't have enough junk rattling around in your pockets! laugh

Four baby aspirin (81mg) for persons, including myself, with chest pain suspected to be of cardiac origin. It could save someone's life. If you aren't familiar with the warning signs of a heart attack, learn them now.

Jeff

#143391 - 08/09/08 04:38 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: Jeff_M]
Raspy Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Centre Hall Pa
Odd additions to the survival kit!

We all have kits and have a good idea what belongs in it. Being individuals we all have some unique additions to our own kits. What kind of things do you have in your. What is that one thing you carry that others will go "Gee I wish that I had thought of that. I'm going out tomorrow and get one." The addition of it may mean the difference of coming back or not.

1. 2 to 3 feet of surgical rubber tubing. Maybe up to 6 feet.
a. Power band for slingshot, trap, etc. ala Ron Hood’s Delbow
b. Straw to draw water from solar still or seeps.
c. Used to blow air into a fire when starting. Gives a more concentrated stream of air there for
less blowing and you don't have to have your head on the ground or face in the fire.

2. A sling with practice a good game getter.

3. A Bolo again practice makes perfect.
To make it ultralight instead of using weights make draw string bags. Size the bags to hold the
desired amount of weight of dirt, stones, or even snow.
For carrying the bags and strings can all be placed in one pouch.

4. A pencil sharpener.
To make shaving for starting a fire. With a pencil sized stick a few twists you have an amazing pile of tinder faster than you can do it with a knife.
To put points on darts and arrows.

5. A headband is made to hold a maglite. I have found that it also fits a Photon Microlite.
Hands free use and LED longevity.

6. I have one of those collapsible magnetic pens. 7” that expands to 27” with a magnet that lifts
8 to 10 lbs. I replaced the clip with a small eye hook using J B Weld. This allows tying a cord to it
allowing it to be lowered to a metal object then to retrieve it.

7. I made lanyards for my belt tools. Using nylon cord and fishing snaps to make small lightweight
quick disconnects. The lanyards can be linked to use with # 6 above.

For a level two kit.
They make a plastic para-foil kite to take along while camping for a toy. My idea is to make one of mylar similar to an emergency space blanket. For kite string use a roll of dental floss. When lost or stranded flying the kite would serve several functions.
1. Being metallic it would act as a radar reflector.
2. Being shiny would reflect sunshine to attract attention.
3. At night a chemlite or strobe LED could be attached. If the LED were pointed at the kite the
reflection would increase visibility.

And always remember TANSTAAFL

#143397 - 08/09/08 10:20 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: DrmstrSpoodle]
AROTC Offline
Addict

Loc: Manhattan
You're post just made me think of something...one of the places people mention using a knife lanyard is on a boat, so it doesn't go over board and sink out of reach. But for a lighter knife, a floating key chain might be a better tool. The knife can still fall free from your body, but if it lands in the water it will float safely on top. Not for fast moving boats or inclement water, but what do people think?

#143402 - 08/09/08 11:49 AM Re: Survival odds and ends? [Re: AROTC]
Pansy Offline
Stranger

Loc: Missouri
Something you lads with the floatable keychains might want to look into is cork? You can find it in almost any size(for items that are too heavy for the floating keychains as one poster mentioned). Also it has many other uses such as kindling(it does have a fair amount of fire resistance but it will burn), fishing bobbers, plugging small holes in dams smile etc.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 523 Guests and 87 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.