Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148906 - 09/15/08 01:20 AM Daily preparedness
DFW Offline
Journeyman

I spent most of Labor Day watching the coverage of Gustave on TV, and Ike yesterday. I spent the last two hours watching a TV documentary about the 911 attacks in New York. Earlier today, I read Chris Kavanaugh's thread about being on the scene when the train wreck in LA happened.

All this has got me thinking about my own kits. I've got a good deal of redundancy going in the kits, and have taken advantage of the collective wisdom here to make many additions.

Knowing no kit is perfect,and you can't carry everything at all times, I still worry that what I need will not be in the kit I have at hand. It will be in the car if I'm stuck somewhere else, or in my home BOB if I'm a work.

How do you all deal with this problem?

#148908 - 09/15/08 01:47 AM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: DFW]
CityBoyGoneCountry Offline
Enthusiast

Originally Posted By: DFW
Knowing no kit is perfect,and you can't carry everything at all times, I still worry that what I need will not be in the kit I have at hand.

Back when they were in style, fanny packs were great. I could carry all kinds of stuff that wouldn't fit in my pockets. But if I wear one now everyone thinks I'm gay. smirk

#148909 - 09/15/08 01:47 AM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: DFW]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Don't wonder far from your car or home?.... all kidding aside.

Be prepared as you can be w/out having a 500lb backpack or having to tow a trailer around with you. There's a fine line between being prepared and trying to gobble up everything you could ever possibly need, etc.

#148910 - 09/15/08 01:48 AM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: CityBoyGoneCountry]
Todd W Offline
Product Tester
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Mountains of CA
Originally Posted By: CityBoyGoneCountry
Knowing no kit is perfect,and you can't carry everything at all times, I still worry that what I need will not be in the kit I have at hand.

Back when they were in style, fanny packs were great. I could carry all kinds of stuff that wouldn't fit in my pockets. But if I wear one now everyone thinks I'm gay. smirk

I had a hot neon pink one back in the day smile I hid my 'caps' for my cap-gun in the hidden back pouch smile

#148924 - 09/15/08 09:53 AM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: DFW]
wildman800 Offline
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: La-USA
I have a BoB @ home and @ work. I just made a 14 hour drive to work with only my EDC since I forgot to pack my PSK.

I don't think many, if any of us, can be properly equipped 24/7. That's due to the "speed of life", if nothing else.

#148925 - 09/15/08 10:13 AM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: wildman800]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I would assume the OP drives his car to work, that makes the car bob pretty close at hand. I can't think of any situation hwere I'm away from my truck so a good bit of gear is waiting in the paking lot for me at all times.

#148935 - 09/15/08 12:38 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: Eugene]
bws48 Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Anne Arundel County, Maryland
Originally Posted By: Eugene
a good bit of gear is waiting in the paking lot for me at all times.

I also have a good bit of gear in my suv, (no trunk--open back) spread around in the "nooks and crannies," which I supplement with whatever seasonal things I might need. I keep a collapsed back-pack hidden with the spare tire, so I can pack what I need (or everything), if I have to abandon the car.

I do not keep everything packed, as around here, one of the favorite petty crimes is to use a spring loaded punch to pop your window and then grab everything loose. This happened to a friend and they even stole his mud covered work boots from his truck. I really don't want to come back and find my BOB gone. If nothing is visible, there is less chance they will take the risk on my car when there are better targets in the parking lot.

#148938 - 09/15/08 01:13 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: DFW]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC

How do you all deal with this problem?

All of my kits (E&E, vehicle kit, GHB, BoB, INCH Bag) have developed into fairly comprehensive kits over the years. The thing that I constantly try to remind myself is that the ultimate function of all these various kits is to simply keep me alive, not necessarily to keep me comfortable. Despite realizing this, a bunch of what I continue to pack still falls into the comfort category, rather than the essential category.

As I've acquired more and more little gadgets and gizmos, they inevitably end up going into one (or all) of the kits. I've recently been reconfiguring my GHB, and it dawned on me just the other day that my current GHB is actually significantly more comprehensive than my BoB of just a few years ago was.

I maintain an Excel spreadsheet listing everything that I consider to be survival related, and recently I added an additional column where I assigned a number to each item corresponding to the ten essential categories. By sorting each of my kit contents by category, I'm now better able to see where I have excessive redundancy, versus any possible shortfalls.

Jim

#148956 - 09/15/08 02:25 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: bws48]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

hidden is good. The majority of my gear is under the seats. The GHB stuffed under the front seat, various other gear under the rear seat (extended cab). Its hidden quite well since its up under the seat back even flipping the seat bottom up ou don't see it unless you look.

#148958 - 09/15/08 02:28 PM Re: Daily preparedness [Re: Paragon]
Eugene Offline
Carpal Tunnel

I forsee the majority of situations I'll encounter to not be life threatining unless somehting really went bad so comfort items are not something that I think should be removed. Sometimes you just need to keep comfortable for a while and let the situation pass.

I keep a spresdsheet of all my gear as well, organized and categorized (not excel though since I want it to be maintainable)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 547 Guests and 92 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.