Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#148424 - 09/11/08 01:11 PM unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question
Glock-A-Roo Offline
Old Hand

I ran across this site yesterday that sells Victorinox and Wenger knives along with Leathermans. What seems to be unique is that besides new merchandise, they also sell used and discontinued models. If you're looking for a particular SAK that's no longer made you might find it there.

Question: how stout is the locking knife blade on the big Victorinox knives? I've never seen one in person. Do you think they would withstand "mild" batoning to split 1" to 2" sticks? I'm interested in the Victorinox "Hercules" model:

#148429 - 09/11/08 01:41 PM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Greg_Sackett Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: KC, MO
Can you baton a large SAK? Probably, but you run the risks that come with batoning any folder with regards to damaging the knife. I have a One Handed Trekker, and the lock and blade are fairly sturdy, but they aren't axis locks or anything. I probably wouldn't use it for batoning unless I had a real need and no other choice.

Greg

#148500 - 09/11/08 06:04 PM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: Greg_Sackett]
Rodion Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Israel
I batoned a Camper with no issues.

www.kravmagafederation.com

#148606 - 09/12/08 11:30 AM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: Rodion]
ratbert42 Offline

Loc: Florida
Wow, a 5-layer large locking SAK?

I haven't batoned a SAK, but I've abused one relatively hard. Unfortunately, I'm not sure how well the blade would hold up to shock. I know they're brittle enough that lots of people snap the tip off the blade, which isn't a good sign. From my abuse though, almost any blow to the body of the knife will cause problems. The traditional celidor scales crack and it's easy to bend and dent the liners/bolsters(?) between the backsprings, which will make it hard to open.

But if you're just going to split some 1" sticks and hit the knife with wood (not metal-on-metal), maybe it would be fine. I wouldn't twist the blade very hard to make the split though.

#148636 - 09/12/08 03:12 PM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: ratbert42]
Paul810 Offline
Veteran

Loc: NJ, USA
In all honesty I wouldn't baton with a folder, at least not a SAK. For $10 you can pick up a mora or probably a multitude of other solid fixed blades that will baton with ease all day long. Even if they do break they're much cheaper than the SAK.

The large saks are good knives and probably could handle light batoning, but I just don't think it's worth it to risk breaking the knife and possibly injuring yourself; especially when there are much cheaper options out there that are better for that purpose.

#148685 - 09/12/08 08:41 PM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: Paul810]
justmeagain Offline
Journeyman

This guy generally has good prices on SAK's as well.
http://felinevet.sosakonline.com/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=27

Service from him has always been good.

#148710 - 09/13/08 12:44 AM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: justmeagain]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I have one of those locking blade Victorinox's. Its the one with the serations on the belly of the blade - rather than near the hinge end.

The blade feels, well, thin. Kind of like one of my kitchen butter knives. It feels wiggly too. Not sure if its at the joint, or just that it flexes.

It is also a liner lock, which I don't really care for much.

It sits in a drawer - I don't use it much. I much prefer the regular Camper or Climber (I like the Climber's scissors).

#148857 - 09/14/08 02:50 PM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: KenK]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
I have a couple of these. They are widely available up here.

I don't carry them much because the shape makes them uncomfortable in my pocket. But they're quite effective in terms of utility-vs.-weight, so they suit my daypack nicely.

The knife is a cutting blade not a prybar, but with its thin profile it cuts rather well. As with all SWAKs, there is some flex in the handle that IMO helps protect the blade during hard cutting.

The saw is amazingly effective. In fact, I tend to think of this as a folding saw with accessories. For a weight-conscious walk where small fires are permitted, they are a good choice.

I think they would survive very mild and cautious batoning but, since the saw works like crazy and the thin blade makes fuzz sticks with ease, I don't really see a need to go that route.

#148861 - 09/14/08 04:06 PM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: Glock-A-Roo]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
Originally Posted By: Glock-A-Roo
I ran across this site yesterday that sells Victorinox and Wenger knives along with Leathermans. What seems to be unique is that besides new merchandise, they also sell used and discontinued models. If you're looking for a particular SAK that's no longer made you might find it there.

Question: how stout is the locking knife blade on the big Victorinox knives? I've never seen one in person. Do you think they would withstand "mild" batoning to split 1" to 2" sticks? I'm interested in the Victorinox "Hercules" model:

By batoning I presume that you mean splitting small sticks lenth way's for tinder?

If so then the short answer is yes.

Same rule for locking Victorinox knive's as any lock knife: Pry - and watch your knife die.

I would suggest that you keep the stick as close to the choil as possible and unlock the knife. Carefully. That will prevent the lock being shocked as you baton. And keep your hands out of the way!

I have to say that they are a favorite of mine. The sharp blade and saw are so usefull that they should be regarded as essential to any kit.

As for the tip breaking mentioned in another post, guess who was doing something that he shouldn't?

#148865 - 09/14/08 04:33 PM Re: unique Swiss Army knife source plus a question [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
Russ Offline
Geezer

Loc: SOCAL
Seems to me it would be a better use of a SAK to make a wedge and use that to baton. If all you have for survival is a SAK, it would be unwise to break it doing a job for which it wasn't designed.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 509 Guests and 8 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.