Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#143312 - 08/08/08 08:08 PM Anyone used the Stapler?
Nishnabotna Offline
Icon of Sin
Addict

Loc: Nebraska
Disposable Body Stapler kit

Thoughts? Experience?

#143324 - 08/08/08 09:23 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: Nishnabotna]
bsmith Offline
day hiker
Addict

Loc: ventura county, ca

in the ad they show an "arrow" wound, nicely stapled shut, on an unknown, unnamed part of someone's anatomy.

unless it were "only a flesh wound" - can an arrow wound only be a flesh wound? - i would hesitate to close ANY puncture wound unless irrigated with a lot more water than what you typically have to spare out in the woods.

and if you do carry such a thing what are chances the wound would be in a location that you could staple shut yourself? which now begs the question: if not you, who? trust them, do you?

for me, i'll stick with tincture of benzoin and steristrips. with a nice 4 x 4 + gauze wrap to protect, keep clean and absorb any further drainage.

#143327 - 08/08/08 09:44 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: bsmith]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Loc: Northwest Florida
Originally Posted By: bsmith
for me, i'll stick with tincture of benzoin and steristrips. with a nice 4 x 4 + gauze wrap to protect, keep clean and absorb any further drainage.

Yeah. Me, too. Now, for my canine hiking buddy, where he have a hard time leaving steristrips and bandage alone, maybe. But he's gonna have to carry it in his pack.

Jeff
PS Are there really a lotta folks out there getting shot with arrows?

#143328 - 08/08/08 10:05 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: Nishnabotna]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
This is just to amazing a device to ignore! If someone buys it for me I'll try it out and report back my thoughts, though you may have to wait until Halloween... whistle

-Blast

Edited by Blast (08/08/08 10:06 PM)
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#143340 - 08/08/08 11:03 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: Jeff_M]
ironraven Offline
Cranky Geek
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Vermont
Not a lot of people getting shot, but a lot of bow hunters having clumsy moment and sticking or slicing themselves.

When a man dare not speak without malice for fear of giving insult, that is when truth starts to die. Truth is the truest freedom.

#143344 - 08/08/08 11:08 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: ironraven]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: ironraven
Not a lot of people getting shot, but a lot of bow hunters having clumsy moment and sticking or slicing themselves.

Oh, I hadn't thought of that. Doh! I've seen a large number of people get shot with guns, but never one with an arrow, even though bow-hunting is popular 'round heah.

Jeff

#143346 - 08/08/08 11:15 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: Nishnabotna]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
I have been stapled a few times, but was sound asleep when the dr did it. I suspect that a staple would hurt a lot less than a stitch, done in the boonies. But I am not a big fan of closing a serious wound until it has been properly cleaned. Properly, not just washed out a little bit...

#143349 - 08/08/08 11:27 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Jeff_M Offline
Addict

Originally Posted By: OldBaldGuy
But I am not a big fan of closing a serious wound until it has been properly cleaned. Properly, not just washed out a little bit...

Nothing like closing in an infection, hmmm? I've seen that a few times, ugh! Like a lot of tools, staplers are fairly easy to use, but knowing when and when not to use them is the real trick.

Jeff

#143357 - 08/08/08 11:49 PM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: Blast]
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Widely used in ER's, mostly for scalp wounds cuz the scars are substantially larger than a good suture job-or on hockey players faces, where aesthetics are of no consequence. Simple, fool-proof, but not idiot resistant, still, if you scew up, you just take the staple out and try again...15 times. Surgeons practice suturing lacerations on raw chicken parts, so you could get 2 and practice. Closing the wound helps it heal faster, but the bleeding has to be controlled before wound closure-the anti-coagulated guy who wrote the product review may be disappointed when he tries it. Some docs will close a wound that is eight hours old, some won't, so if the ER is a few hours away, might be okay to wait.If the wound is closed over an infection, an abscess develops As noted above, best not to close arrow wounds, animal bites, or other punctures.

Note: do not attempt to remove skin staples with a standard office staple remover-the results are way worse than the original injury.

Before there were disposable skin staplers, there were
hog rings

These were used in similar applications on swine, wire cages, upholstery. The swine probably didn't like it, but swine are hard to read. Hog rings also played an important part in repairing prolapsed uterus in cattle, but we will save that story for another time.

#143362 - 08/09/08 12:38 AM Re: Anyone used the Stapler? [Re: nursemike]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I would be scared if someone showed up if i was hurt with that in their hand!!!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 520 Guests and 16 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.