Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#136140 - 06/14/08 11:51 PM Recent 'testing' of our set up
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
I have only been popping in and out recently. We've had a few 'un-scheduled tests' on our emergency preparedness occur.

We came home after an overnight trip and arrived home late (for us). It was about 2130 hours (9:30 PM). We arrived to find our home at 88 degrees F. Now some may not find that too bad...but SW Florida is hot and humid. The house is usually 78-79 degrees. Our central air was broken. Fortunately it turned out to be a bad switch in the compressor. Ants got in between the contacts and prevented contact. That night however we decided to put up the little (and I mean little) window AC unit in the master bedroom. I really didn't think that this little Wal Mart special would really do much. Funny thing.....it cooled the MBR to 70 degrees. It took a bit to get there but it was good.

Fast foward....me at work....wife at home with the kids Friday afternoon...think 1630 hours (4:30 PM). Phone rings....honey the kids just went throught the living room window. Long story short.....few cuts and scrapes (not sutures needed...no butterfly strips needed either). Left work. Got home to find the lower window broken. Not wanting to get shafted on an emergency call to repair it, we boarded it up with the plywood and taped it to seal the drafts. Then closed the hurricane accordian shutters for security. This allowed us to go to the Kennedy Space Center for the STS 124 launch the next day.

There were other things but we've blocked them from our memories. We do remember that all of our plans worked just fine. A little discomfort but they worked fine. Now lets just hope we don't need to really use them...though it is nice to know we can.

#136143 - 06/15/08 12:34 AM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: CJK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
"...the kids just went throught the living room window..."

The KIDS (as in plural?) went thru the window? That has gotta be one great story. Glad they survived pretty well. And happy to see that you apparently had plywood and tape on hand...

#136148 - 06/15/08 01:10 AM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: OldBaldGuy]
MDinana Offline
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Beer&Cheese country
Ah yes... the window story (sliding door?) My uncle ran through a glass door in his teens, has some nice scars to show for it. In a weird twist of irony, his daughter was at my house about 10 years back (at roughly his age) and ran straight into OUR glass door... fortunately she wasn't running, but rather had just started to move, but it was funny, and even a bit of "bad juju" that the scenario would almost play out identically.

Glad things went well. Bet the shuttle launch was AMAZING. On my To-Do list.

#136150 - 06/15/08 01:26 AM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: CJK]
samhain Offline
Addict

Loc: Baton Rouge, Louisiana
Nothing like being prepared to keep a small crisis from becoming a huge one.

#136153 - 06/15/08 02:28 AM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: MDinana]
KG2V Offline

Veteran

Loc: Queens, New York City
Originally Posted By: MDinana
...snip...
Glad things went well. Bet the shuttle launch was AMAZING. On my To-Do list.

DO IT - been to one, unfortunately on 39B, not A, so instead of being 4 miles, I was 8. The sound was not nearly as impressive as I was told it would be. The strange part - 8 miles - 5 seconds/mile - 40 seconds - at 40 seconds - the shuttle is GONE - something like 70 miles-80 miles downrange - and THEN you hear the launch
Blog: http://kg2v.blogspot.com

#136157 - 06/15/08 03:18 AM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: MDinana]
NeighborBill Offline
Enthusiastic
Enthusiast

Loc: Oklahoma City
Lost a couple of pints to such a scenario--glad the kiddos are OK.

Note to self: if window stuck, do not force.

#136161 - 06/15/08 03:47 AM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: MDinana]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Deja Vu all over again...

#136178 - 06/15/08 05:16 PM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: OldBaldGuy]
CJK Offline
Addict

Loc: FL, USA
Now that I have a few minutes I can elaborate the 'kids through the window' part....horsing around.....closed vertical blinds (thank goodness).....both went 'into' the blinds which went into the window. Fortunately the blinds covered the worst of the glass breakage and did most of the protecting from the glass at the same time......Still cuts and scrapes all around.....basically all were fine.....knowing that they were horsing around, I was furious.....all the way home screaming 'at' them (in the car with no one around)...the brain got the better part of the 'emotions' under control and when I arrived (vocally hoarse) I was much calmer.....As I walked in the door, after confirming there were no REAL BIG problems (medically or safety) I just looked at them.....They KNEW what they did......all I asked was, "Did you LEARN ???" Nods and uh huh's......They won't be doing THAT again.

It'll be something different next time. Probably the same window. They'll probably just say something like...."But we didn't do ...... this time." Oh well. Just glad all were safe.

#136181 - 06/15/08 05:54 PM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: CJK]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Glad they survived. Plate glass can be deadly at times...

#136364 - 06/17/08 01:45 AM Re: Recent 'testing' of our set up [Re: CJK]
GrilledBison Offline
Stranger

Loc: PA
"closed vertical blinds (thank goodness).....both went 'into' the blinds which went into the window. Fortunately the blinds covered the worst of the glass breakage and did most of the protecting from the glass at the same time"

Glad the kids survived. Note that they have made an important and historical discovery: vertical blinds are good for something.

Reminds me to put plexiglass in the back storm door. My kids are always racing through the house and slamming their hands on the glass to open the door; and I've actually seen someone else's child slice open his arm to the bone on another storm door, doing the same thing. Not the kind of lesson I want my kids learning experientially.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 457 Guests and 2 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Any shortages where you are?
by adam2
Today at 09:49 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
05/10/24 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.