Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
#44329 - 07/20/05 03:30 PM RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
gutdoc Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Hi! I am a new to the forum and have enjoyed following the discussions. I have learned much!

I received my Ritter RSK Mk 1 today, and you all are right - it is a fine knife. Occassionaly, I am on small sailboats on saltwater and usually I get wet in in those circumstances. Will this knife be okay with occassional dunkings in seawater? I have been unable to find anything on exposure of this knife to saltwater and care of it after such exposure.

Thanks!
Randy

#44330 - 07/20/05 04:02 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Here is the Benchmade link to Doug's RSK knife. I don't have the RSK (yet) but I do have one of their Mini-Griptilians.

Here is the Benchmade link to their knife care.

DISREGARD THIS PARAGRAPH - SEE DOUG'S RESPONSE.
Not very descriptive of exactly what to do, but I'm guessing with salt water you'd want to rinse/clean the knife in tap water, dry it, and lubricate it with something like WD-40.

I've found the cans of compressed air at the computer stores work great for blowing out the crap and dirt that accumulates in the knife that is hard to reach.

#44331 - 07/20/05 05:06 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

The RSK Mk1 and Mini are not totally impervious to saltwater, such as an H1 or X15TN steel or titanium, or even cheaper grades of high chromium content stainless as used on may yachting and dive knives. It is not specifically designed as a yachting knife. Having said that, S30V is more corrosion resistant than any of the other high carbon stainless steels and the stonewashed surface treatment also improves on that. Other boaters have used the RSK Mk1 and Mini with no problems, rinsing with fresh water and drying after use. I just spent an afternoon in a very wet life raft off the coast of California, my RSK Mk1 was immersed in salt water for a few hours and was not rinsed off until later that day. The only indication of any corrosion was some very slight discoloration of one of the laser markings, which makes some sense as that penetrates the stonewashed surface.

If you are at all concerned, wipe the balde down with some Tuf-Cloth or Marine Tuf-Cloth see: www.sentrysolutions.com

Hope this answers your question.

Edited by Doug_Ritter (07/20/05 05:52 PM)
Chairman & Executive Director
Equipped To Survive Foundation
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#44332 - 07/20/05 05:13 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

NEVER USE WD40 as a lubricant. It is a lousy lubricant, was never designed to lubricate and basically sucks for that purpose. WD stands for "water displacement." Here's a discussion: http://yarchive.net/chem/wd40.html

The recommended lubricant for the RSK Mk1 is MILITEC-1 http://www.militec1.com/
They will send you a free sample which will last years for most folks.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#44333 - 07/20/05 05:42 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
harrkev Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Colorado Springs, CO
Quote:
The recommended lubricant for the RSK Mk1 is MILITEC-1

Would gun oil work? Lots of us have that stuff lying around, which is much better than having to wait for something to get shipped.

#44334 - 07/20/05 05:58 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
Doug_Ritter Offline

Pooh-Bah

Define "work"

Seriously, you can use any lubricant, and many knife users have their favorite, but we recommend Militec-1 for a number of reasons. In our experience it lubricates better than others we've tried, doesn't attract dirt, lasts a long time and doesn't wash out easily. YMMV.

Personally, I wouldn't use a traditional "gun lube" except if I had no other choice.
www.KnifeRights.org
www.DougRitter.com

#44335 - 07/20/05 06:15 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
gutdoc Offline

Loc: Winston-Salem, NC
Doug,

Thanks for the thorough reply. I think I will leave my RSK on the beach when I am on saltwater - I kinda like the way it looks esp. since it's new! You have designed an excellent knife; while I've got you "on the phone" so to speak, many thanks and congratulations for creating this site and for the useful (esp. in these troubling times) information you've collected here.

Randy

#44336 - 07/20/05 07:18 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
"I think I will leave my RSK on the beach when I am on saltwater"

I'd encourage you to take it with you. A 1 oz bottle of Militec is available on-line for just $7.90 including shipping from http://www.militec-1.com/ . That should last you a good long time (use it sparingly).

The most important thing to do is to thoroughly rinse the knife in clean fresh water as soon as reasonably possible to remove the salt. If available I'd use the hotest water your hand can comfortably tolerate to facilitate disolving any dried salts. The lubrication is somewhat secondary, so long as you lubricate it before frequent use.

That knife is just too good to leave behind!!!

#44337 - 07/20/05 08:25 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
cedfire Offline
Addict

Loc: Orygun
Thanks for your quick response Doug -- I will be getting some Militec-1 and a Sentry Tuf Cloth ASAP.

#44338 - 07/20/05 09:58 PM Re: RSK Mk 1 and Saltwater?
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:
The recommended lubricant for the RSK Mk1 is MILITEC-1 http://www.militec1.com/
They will send you a free sample which will last years for most folks.

How do you get the free sample? I couldn't find any info on their website.

Thanks.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 543 Guests and 4 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.