Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#135512 - 06/11/08 07:48 AM Nice addition to your kit, Davis Knot-a-Bag
aardvark Offline

Loc: So. California
I was killing time in a West Marine the other day when i came across a nice survival addition, the Knot-a-Bag plastic bag refills from Davis, the weather station and sextant company. It's about $7 for 3 rolls.

Basically, it's exactly like the vegetable bags you get in the supermarket except stronger and each roll is only 1 1/2 by 3 inches and weighs less than 2 ounces. It is 10 meters of 8" diameter polyethylene bag material. You pull the plastic out of the center and cut it off and put a knot in the end to make a bag.

What can you use it for?
It's food suitable, so you can carry lots of water, berries etc and could use it as a transpiration bag over a leafy branch to get water.
It's very strong, almost as good as rope for tying things. Or you could use twisted strips of it as lashings for your shelter, or holding a dressing on etc.
If you spread it out, you can make a triangular bandage out of it to hold an arm.
A longish piece can be stuffed with non-pointy items and used as a billy bag over your shoulder.
It's flammable, will light from a flame but i can't start it with a ferro rod...
Since it's airtight, you could inflate one to use as a buoy to hold yourself up in water.
You can make a hat, or a brooch or a pterodactyl...

The only thing it's not really good for is shelter itself or weather protection, a trashbag would be a better choice. But you could still put lengths over your arms and legs and wrap some of it around yourself to keep wind and rain out. So it's useful and small enough to stow in my kit bags.

Attachments
cropp1010002.jpg

#135536 - 06/11/08 02:05 PM Re: Nice addition to your kit, Davis Knot-a-Bag [Re: aardvark]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
Interesting. Seems that if you have to tie a knot in each end, you are going to use a lot more material to make one bag than if is was sealed on one end tho...

#135542 - 06/11/08 02:17 PM Re: Nice addition to your kit, Davis Knot-a-Bag [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Angel Offline

Yesterday when I was shopping for my soon to arrive grandaughter I noticed a small container that fits on a keyring that holds a roll of plastic bags for things like diaper disposal and things like that. Only costs $2.50 so next time i'm in there I may get one and see how sturdy and how big the bags are.

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 553 Guests and 93 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.