The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#133557 - 05/22/08 09:32 PM alternative uses of leatherman tools
nursemike Offline
Old Hand

Loc: wellington, fl
Just finished a trashy novel in which a courageous midship-person quickly reconfigured her Leatherman tool into a ninja throwing star and took out a bad guy at distance. If you open the sheepsfoot serrated and clip blades on a Wave, then separate the handles, you get...well...something with a lot of points on it in a vaguely X-shaped configuration. While Heinlein encourages knife throwing as a defensive art, no one else does so, and tossing the Wave around is probably a bad idea, but part of the ETS ethos involves a search for multi-functionality-have any of the martial arts or martial artists addresses the defensive multi-tool issue?

#133560 - 05/22/08 09:46 PM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: nursemike]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Originally Posted By: nursemike
If you open the sheepsfoot serrated and clip blades on a Wave, then separate the handles, you get...well...something with a lot of points on it in a vaguely X-shaped configuration.

Yeah, I wouldn't want to have this (my Leatherman Charge Al) flying through the air at me:

Jim

#133562 - 05/22/08 10:51 PM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: nursemike]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
A closed Leatherman (or any of the others) can make a pretty good kubotan, if you know that you are doing...

#133568 - 05/23/08 01:21 AM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: OldBaldGuy]
Rio Offline

Loc: Pacific North West
I know it's a cell phone, but the basic concepts about the same wink
http://youtube.com/watch?v=t7x1aic74Mg

#133569 - 05/23/08 01:37 AM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: Rio]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
The pliers end of a closed Leatherman is a first-class opener for those tasty beers that use the non-twist-off cap. European (Beck's) and Mexican (Sol) come to mind. Don't know how much that applies in the U.S. though.

(I have to wonder, though, if ANY use of a Leatherman could be considered "alternative." The endless re-configuration of pointy bits pretty much defines the whole multitool concept, if you ask me.)

Edited by dougwalkabout (05/23/08 01:41 AM)

#133571 - 05/23/08 02:25 AM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: dougwalkabout]
Art_in_FL Offline
Pooh-Bah

I don't know to much about it as a weapon but I have used a Leatherman as a doorstop. A weight for getting a line over a tree branch. Stabbed into a tree as a hanger for a candle lantern. A plumb bob. I have wrapped thin Kevlar line or wire around it so I could pull without cutting my hands to shreds. Lacking an icepick for busting up block ice for drinks I have used the plier tips.

Uses are only limited by imagination.

#133574 - 05/23/08 03:59 AM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: Art_in_FL]
ZenEngineer Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Northern California
I have a Sony Reader and use it daily. When reading at lunch, I prop the reader up with my Leatherman Wave, putting the screen at a better viewing angle.

I once used a PST as a throwing weight, using video tape from a VHS tape, as a throwing line from one building to another.

#133575 - 05/23/08 04:16 AM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: nursemike]
Taurus Offline
Addict

Loc: Northern Canada
The art of knife throwing takes a lot of practice to get any level of good. Unless you can afford to break a bunch honing your skills you most likely won’t ever get that good at hucking your multi-tool at someone with any accuracy. It would most likely break the open blades upon hitting the ground. Keep in mind as well that anything you throw at a bad guy can be thrown back at you if you don’t hit the mark. I don’t really want to give him another weapon to use against me. In a pinch my surge blades are large enough to give a good stab or slash and if I feel the need to throw something there is lot of other stuff around usually. In its closed position it would give one hell of a smash to a person’s temple or windpipe.

As far as alternate uses, it would make one hell of a torture tool if you ever need to extract info from someone……..A fingernail puller or an eyeball extractor maybe? whistle

#133585 - 05/23/08 01:09 PM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: Taurus]
Dan_McI Offline
Old Hand

Loc: NYC
Originally Posted By: Taurus
I don’t really want to give him another weapon to use against me.

Agreed.

It might also be a heck of a lot more effective to throw something hard with weight. I think throwing a rock would be a better option.

The only other use I've made of a multitool is as a paperweight. It kept the map from blowing away.

#133590 - 05/23/08 03:16 PM Re: alternative uses of leatherman tools [Re: Dan_McI]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
I EDC my Schrade multitool for the past 9 years

And I believe it's much more versatile than any Leatherman because of its side opening tools design. It allows to utilize the perfectly flat side surfaces of the tool when closed or when having the pliers half open. And it's really a heavy duty tool. I never hesitate to hammer a nail or a knife with it (but yes, the only problem is that it's heavier than most Leathermans).

Some more things which worked very well with this particular tool:
- it's easy to improvise a very strong slingshot using the outer sides tools when closed;
- an emergency rappelling device;
- a crushing jack (only one handle open as a lever);
- comfortable carying handle (1/8-th open and pliers lips secured to handles with a string or wire, forming a hook);
- riveting hammer (the hinges have a perfect conic shape and precisely aligned for riveting, works great with thick alluminium electric wire);
- Several ways to improvise very good bow compasses for wood/plastic works.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
1 registered (jds), 551 Guests and 28 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by jds
47 minutes 17 seconds ago
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Yesterday at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.