Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Topic Options
#131936 - 05/03/08 08:59 AM Pack For wife
jasond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
I am trying to find a good pack for my wife who is 5'8" any one have any suggestions? I want something that can be used for 2-3 day trips and not over $250-300.

#131937 - 05/03/08 10:00 AM Re: Pack For wife [Re: jasond]
Onedzguy Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Lost in Waipahu, HI

#131939 - 05/03/08 11:54 AM Re: Pack For wife [Re: jasond]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Not a specific pack suggestion because there are too many unknown variables.

Your wife is tall enough to have more options than vertically challenged adults BUT in packs that size and larger, choosing one that is more anatomically correct for a woman can be an extremely wise decision. Torso length is torso length, but usually there are important differences in male and female shoulders and hips when it comes to packs. The impact is proportionally less with smaller packs (e.g. day and overnight packs), but it's still there. YMMV; your wife's shape is what actually matters.

The tips/advice here are fair enough:

http://www.rei.com/learn/Camping

Click on the links for Backpacks and Woman's Packs

The conditions and location (hence clothing, bag, shelter, food, fuel, water, etc.) matter when it comes to pack size. For that matter, so does the gear she has, from skin out. Smaller/lighter usually costs a lot more - whether it's a sleeping bag or clothing. So applying the "use what you have" principle, make sure the pack is sized appropriately.

As long as she does not succumb to the trap of filling it up because the room is available, too voluminous a pack is generally less of a hassle than too small a pack, despite what the gram weenies say.

Also, it matters if you are proportionately sharing the load with her or if you are the mule or if she intends to solo.

Perhaps the most important thing is to have her actually try (wear) the pack with a least a representative weight in it. (Better is with her actual gear stowed in it). A real outdoors retailer will allow her to bring in her gear when shopping for a pack. A mass market retailer probably will not. Saving 15% - 20% on a pack isn't a bargain an hour into a trip if the loaded pack is uncomfortable or worse

There are (good) arguments for external frame packs and internal frame packs. Try to be open-minded and and not unduly influenced by a [insert type/brand] zealot's claims. This topic is about as bad as "what gun should I get" when it comes to opinions.

My wife and I own and use packs that loosely fall into 3 categories: "conventional" external frame, internal frame with 3 - 5 external pouches/pockets, and "slick" internal frame. We LEAST often use the slick packs, but that is truly more a function of habits and preferences. Packs with no pockets can work fine for an organized and orderly packer.

Go shopping with your wife and have fun. You should easily be able to purchase a quality pack in any style for that amount of money.

Regards,

Tom

#131943 - 05/03/08 12:33 PM Re: Pack For wife [Re: AyersTG]
TS_Shawn Offline

Loc: Washington, D.C.
Agree with Ayers.

Your wife needs to go shopping for a pack. I highly recommend REI if one is accessible.

Their big annual sale started yesterday and will be going until next weekend.

#131958 - 05/03/08 06:16 PM Re: Pack For wife [Re: TS_Shawn]
frediver Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: N.Cal.
Take a close look at the REI Cruise, I think the Cruise 45L pack is on sale.

#131960 - 05/03/08 06:23 PM Re: Pack For wife [Re: frediver]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Have her try on different packs...and make sure they're worn with weight in them. Most shops like REI will have weights for this purpose.

#131961 - 05/03/08 06:27 PM Re: Pack For wife [Re: jasond]
figtree
Unregistered

#131964 - 05/03/08 08:03 PM Re: Pack For wife [Re: jasond]
Loganenator Offline
Bike guy

Loc: Sacramento, CA, USA
You have some good advice here. The only thing I can add is to buy a pack that will stand up to some abuse (aka heavy duty fabric and buckles). My DW has a weak back after a high school ski accident so I prioritized on going ultralight for her backpack. Unfortunately, the pack we choose for her was indeed light (~2 lbs) but I popped buckles multiple times by lifting it in the wrong place. The material is gossmer (silicon impregnated nylon) and is pretty flimsy when hiking through brush.

Good luck,

By circumstance my DW and I will also be going to REI this weekend to replace the pack I mentioned above. wink

Cheers,
Nemo

#131973 - 05/03/08 10:46 PM Re: Pack For wife [Re: jasond]
jasond Offline
Journeyman

Loc: North Carolina
Just wanted to thank everyone for the advice, I guess the general concensus is to try out REI.

Thanks again

#131992 - 05/04/08 01:08 PM Re: Pack For wife [Re: jasond]
AyersTG Offline
Veteran

Loc: Upper Mississippi River Valley...
Sure; that's one place to check out if they are nearby. I've been an REI member for about forever, and buy something(s) from them routinely, but the closest one to me is in the 'burbs about 3 hours East of here. Haven't set foot in one since we moved away from the Tacoma area.

There may be other retailers / specialty shops in your area that are worth checking out also. Even here in the cornfields there are 2 "serious" shops with great staff and a couple more with good equipment and nice but usually ignorant staff.

FWIW, we get BSA discounts at both of the locally owned retailers and one national chain... works out to an even better deal than an REI dividend.

So I suggest you check your local Yellow pages and if it appears there are some local stores, spend a nice day with your wife checking out ALL of them before you purchase. It's even better than wandering around a hardware store...

Regards,

Tom

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 480 Guests and 14 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
Today at 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.