Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#126765 - 03/08/08 07:36 PM Sleeping bag question
GlennG Offline
Stranger

I'm new here and wondering if someone here can help me with sleeping bag info. I'm looking for a sleeping bag that is light weight, rated for about +35/+40 Deg.F., Compresses fairly small, and is a nutral color. I'd prefer one that is not down filled. I'm average height and weight, and tend to sleep "cold". I've got a Sportsman's guide ultralight bag, but it is not warm enough in the early mornings. I'm looking for something to use for bicycle camping (that's why I'd rather not have down, if you travel far enough you'll get rained on and things will get wet). I'd like to be able to stay in the public hunting lands, and other out-of-the-way places with out making myself to visiable, mainly because I can not afford motels etc. Cost is a factor, but I'd pay more for a bag with a subdued color, verses one with the same ratings and bright color/s. Thanks for any suggestions!

Glenn G.

#126766 - 03/08/08 07:52 PM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: GlennG]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Welcome, GlennG.

Can you describe your usual sleeping setup? Tent, tarp, sleeping pad, clothing worn (or not)?

Sometimes a few adjustments can add many degrees to the bag you already have, and be more versatile in the bargain.

For example: I use a thin bag, but wear a fleece jacket and toque (stocking cap to you U.S. folks) to bed. That way the midnight foray to the john isn't quite so frosty. I have also spread a good space blanket over top, loosely so it doesn't trap too much moisture. Dry socks before bed can make a huge difference. And recently I'm putting a light fleece blanket underneath -- very cosy, useful around camp, and cost $5.

On the other hand, have you considered an overbag? Some of these are mummy-style, and you can stuff them inside your existing bag. Handy in damp conditions, because you can pull the two thin bags apart and they'll dry more readily.

#126767 - 03/08/08 08:30 PM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: GlennG]
GlennG Offline
Stranger

Thanks Doug. Here's what I'm doing. My tent is a Eureka Spitfire 2. I sleep on a thermarest pad. I need to go light, as weight becomes a problem fast. Everything I carry has to do double duty so, a pull over watchcap becomes a pot cozy, helmate linner, thermal cover for an ice filled water bottle, and sleeping cap. Socks need to be wool biking socks and sleepware. The wool bike jersey used with a wind breaker becomes a jacket and with out the wind breaker, riding cloths and sleepwear. I can sleep in hiking pants, but they are not comfortable. Biking shorts keep you snugged up all day, so I'd like something loose and comfortable later in the day. I've been expermenting by camping in the back yard when the weather is cool, but I'm not quite happy yet. Still looking for that elusive sleeping bag.

Thanks for your help!

Glenn G.

#126769 - 03/08/08 08:59 PM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: GlennG]
concentric Offline
Stranger

Both Snugpack and Arktis have bags that fit your bill here.
I know folks that love their Snugpacks and I have an Arktis Halo 3model that's served me well in lots of different locations and conditions for a number of years.

They're both military models, so they tend to have some durability. The Arktis model has a waterproof foot area, accommodates people up to 6'4", and weighs about 2 lbs.

#126774 - 03/08/08 09:28 PM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: GlennG]
jaywalke Offline

Loc: Appalachian mountains
Nothing will ever be warmer/smaller than a down bag. I own fiber bags (heck, I have 6 total, 2 of them fiber) but they are not the warmest or most comfortable bags I have. You can choose a fiber bag, but know that it will die a little every time you stuff it up. You can spend a lot of money if you want, but it won't ever be the lightest thing available because manufacturers know that only novices buy synthetic bags so they add gimmicks that attract casual buyers (and add weight). Your only real hope for a truly lightweight bag is to buy an overbag/quilt from an ultralight shop (www.backpackinglight.com, et al) but bear in mind that those guys sell gossamer gear and expect to replace it every season.

I lived in Seattle for a year, and used nothing but down bags in the Cascades and the Olympics, so I scoff at the industry's push to get everyone into synthetics. Harvey Manning, Washington state resident and author of the bible: "Backpacking: One Step at a Time" (and 30 hiking guides) puts it best. When someone tells him that a wet down bag is useless he says: "Absolutely. So don't let your bag get wet."

If your sleeping bag gets wet you don't have a sleeping bag problem. You have a packing problem or a shelter problem.

Buy a Western Mountaineering bag, a lightweight drybag and a roll of compactor bags to line it. You won't be sorry.

#126790 - 03/08/08 11:59 PM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: jaywalke]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I will HEARTEDLY recommend the Marmot Trestles 30 degree bag that is now on sale for $59.97 at http://www.campmor.com

I myself use a Trestles 15 degree bag and find it VERY high quality - a great bag. I liked it so much I bought three more for each of my family members.

The 30 degree version is greenish, which meets your color preference better than the blue 15 degree color.

They also have a long version if that is needed.

Ken K.

#126796 - 03/09/08 12:07 AM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: jaywalke]
KenK Offline
"Be Prepared"
Pooh-Bah

Loc: NE Wisconsin
I forgot to mention that I've had down bags and synthetic bags, and these days I much prefer the synthetic bags.

Just my opinion.

Ken K.

#126821 - 03/09/08 02:45 AM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: GlennG]
ohiohiker Offline
found in the wilderness
Journeyman

Loc: Ohio
Have you considered a quilt instead of a bag? I've just ordered a DIY synthetic quilt kit myself (around $100 for a 40*F-rated one). The insulation of the bag under you doesn't insulate as well since it's compressed anyway, so just eliminate the bottom of the bag. This saves packed space and weight. Make sure you're going with the latest synthetic fill. Climashield XP seems to be the latest and greatest.

If quilts sound too radical, Big Agnes bags just have a pocket for a pad on the bottom.

It sounds like your style of camping might be well-suited for a hammock?

#126850 - 03/09/08 03:52 PM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: GlennG]
hikermor Offline
Geezer in Chief
Geezer

Loc: southern Cal
+1 for jaywalker's comments. I have used a down bag for about forty years, both backpacking and bike touring and I soaked one exactly once - valuable lesson! A thin plastic bag liner inside your sleeping bag's stuff stack will keep things in good shape. Do not depend upon your pack or panniers to much water out. Well made down bags are durable. I used one for sixteen years, and I just this year supplemented my Marmot, twenty-three years old, with a new generation bag. The Marmot bag was hideously expensive to purchase, but became a bargain, considering all the comfy nights it gave me.

The shape and color of your tent is a lot more important than your sleeping bag color in keeping out of sight. Even more important is your choice of campsite. I agree heartily with you about staying hidden when out on a bike

#126941 - 03/10/08 06:49 PM Re: Sleeping bag question [Re: hikermor]
Hikin_Jim Offline
Sheriff
Pooh-Bah

Loc: Southern California
Maybe I missed something, but if you're sleeping in a tent, why is the color of the sleeping bag within the tent an issue?

I'm +1 on Western Mountainneering, but they're not cheap. I did buy a dry sack/dry bag (depending on who you're talking to; they're pretty much synonymous) to keep it dry. You can get some pretty light weight dry bags.

The bag I got is the Summerlite which is rated at +32F. I paid $245.00 for it, but it's only one pound, three ounces, and highly compressible. If you're looking for a bag that's rated at around +35/40 and you sleep cold, this bag would be about right for you. I tend to sleep a liitle cold too, but I have had no problems on nights in the 30's with my Summerlite. http://www.westernmountaineering.com/ind...mp;ContentId=69

The dry sack I got weighs just 0.9 ounces (i.e. less than one ounce): http://www.rei.com/product/730876

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 643 Guests and 148 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.