Equipped To Survive Equipped To Survive® Presents
The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#125498 - 02/27/08 11:54 PM Tarp Setup Question
TomSwango Offline
Journeyman

My question is: When setting up a tarp in an "A" frame configuration does the tarp go over the ridge line or is the ridge line on the outside and the tarp secured to the ridge line with the tie out loops.

Also if possible I would like to know the reasoning or logic behind doing it the one way and not the other.

Thanks in advance for everyones insight.

#125500 - 02/28/08 12:27 AM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: TomSwango]
Nicodemus Offline
Paranoid?
Veteran

Loc: Virginia, US
If my understanding of materials is correct, it depends on what the tarp is made of and how well it's impregnated with repellant if a material that is porous.

Once again, if my understanding is correct, pressure on silicon impregnated nylon (for example) will allow water to bleed through where the line is if the tarp is draped over the line.

That may be only if the line is wet though.

I could be wrong though... Suddenly I'm not sure where I heard that stuff. HAHAHA

On a plastic tarp, it may not matter unless water travels down the line and drips on you. smile

#125501 - 02/28/08 12:28 AM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: TomSwango]
Matt26 Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Vermont
I hang it over the ridgeline, either a pole or paracord. I belive it gives the structure more stability and strength under a high stress load wheather it be wind or snow.

#125502 - 02/28/08 12:33 AM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: Nicodemus]
raydarkhorse Offline
Addict

Loc: on the road 10-11 months out o...
It would be up to you and the area your setting up in. If I under stand you question, there is not really any right or wrong just a preferance and need of the moment.

#125504 - 02/28/08 12:35 AM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: TomSwango]
philip Offline
Addict

Loc: San Francisco Bay Area
Check here and see if this answers your questions:
http://www.equipped.org/tarp-shelters.htm

Notice the photo in the upper right corner.

#125520 - 02/28/08 01:57 AM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: TomSwango]
Paragon Offline
Enthusiast

Loc: Greensboro, NC
Tom,

I have a 10' x 12' Equinox Ultralight tarp with several nylon ties, and my belief is that these are best used to prevent the tarp from shifting around due to wind getting under the tarp when the tarp is hung on top of the ridgeline.

From an engineering standpoint, the tarp is much more uniformly supported when hung over the ridgeline, and I suspect that depending upon the angle it is anchored, one could actually tear the nylon ties from the tarp due to the weight of an accumulated snow load if the tarp was merely supported by several individual points.

The one potential downside to this method of attachment (tarp hung over the ridgeline) would be eventually wearing through the center of the tarp where it makes contact with the ridgeline, although I would expect one to tear the nylon ties from the tarp (in the case of attaching the tarp under the ridgeline) long before this would ever occur.

Jim

#125521 - 02/28/08 01:59 AM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: TomSwango]
OldBaldGuy Offline
Geezer

Loc: Former AFB in CA, recouping fr...
If you toss your tarp over a rope and it rains, water will follow the rope down into your "home". There are ways to stop that, but if your tarp had ties and you use them, you can avoid that little problem...

#125523 - 02/28/08 02:33 AM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: TomSwango]
Blitz Offline
Gear Junkie
Addict

Loc: MA
Tom

Get a good back-packing tent with a full fly and footprint. If you want you can use the fly and footprint alone for a lightweight shelter. I prefer a full tent though because of the critters that roam around in my area. 5-6#'s should be ok to carry.

I consider tarps as emergency only but a good lightweight tent or bivy is better,

JMO

Blitz

#125566 - 02/28/08 01:10 PM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: Blitz]
benjammin Offline
Rapscallion
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Anchorage AK
I've always preferred the tarp be draped over the line rather than suspended from it with ties or fasteners. It seems a lot more sturdy and secure when draped, and any leak problems are fairly easily addressed by a simple drip line. I've done everything from canvas to nylon to woven poly that way, and find that putting some tension on the tarp makes it less prone to riffling in the wind.

I've had a few bad experiences with ties in foul weather where the ties ripped out of the tarp. Same with lacing grommets along the ridge line. Under more ideal conditions that may be the way to go, but I will no longer do mine that way.

Better still would be to have a ridge pole, but that isn't often very practical.

#125568 - 02/28/08 01:21 PM Re: Tarp Setup Question [Re: benjammin]
Hacksaw
Unregistered

Personally I'm not a fan of the A-frame way of setting up a tarp.

When I do set it up that way I use my trekking poles to suspend the ends regardless of if I use a ridgeline or not. It's nice to have and adds strength but it's not always possible depending on where you are.

Assuming I'm sleeping and not trying to sit out some nasty weather, I'll set up my tarp as compact and sturdy as possible with as little of it up in the air as I can manage. Because I use a waterproof bivy bag, that can mean the lower part of my bag is exposed to the elements a bit as my tarp is only 5x8.

For a larger tarp, I like this way:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MkBeZqXU4zk
but a guy line or two would be added.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
April
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online
0 registered (), 561 Guests and 168 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/19/24 07:49 PM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Bad review of a great backpack..
by Herman30
04/08/24 08:16 AM
Our adorable little earthquake
by Phaedrus
04/06/24 02:42 AM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.