The Survival Forum
Where do you want to go on ETS?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#124257 - 02/18/08 07:33 PM Bow drill lessons
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Hawaii, USA
I made my first bow drill yesterday and learned a few things in the process.

1. Doing it in the sun is sweaty work
2. Hau (hisbiscus) wood is easy to work with
3. Don't make the notch too big
4. The bow drill works better for me with the notch facing away from me
5. Non-natural cords like accessory cords are slippery. The spindle slides a bit
6. The alox farmer's awl is fantastic for carving out the socket in seasoned kiawe (mesquite)
7. Once I was able to get all the pieces prepared, getting a coal was pretty fast. I didn't time it but I got a coal in under 30 seconds!

So I think I am making progress in my fire making skills. So far fire making success with:

lighter
matches
ferro rod
battery & steel wool
flint & steel
bow drill

Next up...the fire plow.

Edited by aloha (02/20/08 05:27 AM)
Edit Reason: spelling

#124258 - 02/18/08 07:44 PM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: aloha]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

what about fire piston??

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#124264 - 02/18/08 08:01 PM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: climberslacker]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

try using the egyptian bow and drill... the cord doesn't slip, therefore allowing one to use a thinner cord without the wear.

#124269 - 02/18/08 08:31 PM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: climberslacker]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

I haven't tried a fire piston yet.

So far, I think the ferro rod and the flint & steel are the most robust and work when wet.

My friend soaked his flint and steel, char cloth and tinder (jute cord) in a container of water for about 20 minutes. He took the pieces out, patted them dry on his shirt and got fire even though the char cloth and tinder was still damp.

I have tried the ferro rod in heavy rain and it will still spark, although not as effectively as when dry. The easy fix is to do it under some cover.

#124270 - 02/18/08 08:34 PM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: Halcon]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Aloha Alan,

Thanks for the tip. How do you tie the cord on to the spindle for the Eqyptian bow drill?

#124297 - 02/19/08 12:00 AM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: aloha]
Halcon Offline
Journeyman

some folks use a clove hitch, others just the wraps.

here is a link to an article on our site.

http://www.dirttime.com/egyptian%20bow%20and%20drill.html

#124298 - 02/19/08 12:05 AM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: Halcon]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Thanks Alan, I will try that. I noticed the "bow" was very short and fairly straight. Lots more options with this method it seems.

#124312 - 02/19/08 02:10 AM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: aloha]
dougwalkabout Offline
Crazy Canuck
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: Alberta, Canada
Wow, I'm impressed with your amazingly rapid success with a bow drill.

Last time I tried (10 years ago) I succeeded in making smoke, but that may have been from the cursing.

Granted, I was using local and found materials (dead but not seasoned in any particular way), and my "technique" was undoubtedly laughable.

The main thing I learned was to carry multiple fire-making tools, always.

#124322 - 02/19/08 04:48 AM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: dougwalkabout]
aloha Offline
Old Hand

Originally Posted By: dougwalkabout
Wow, I'm impressed with your amazingly rapid success with a bow drill.

Last time I tried (10 years ago) I succeeded in making smoke, but that may have been from the cursing.

Granted, I was using local and found materials (dead but not seasoned in any particular way), and my "technique" was undoubtedly laughable.

The main thing I learned was to carry multiple fire-making tools, always.

Thanks for your kind words. I have seen it done on videos and the like and got to see it done live once. I actually helped to carve the socket that time and was told to make the socket deeper and narrower than I thought it should be. That really helped. I also made my notch too big, but the one I saw made was small so it was easy to just prepare another notch on the hearth.

The rest was trial and error. When the spindle kept popping out, I faced the notch away from me. When that wasn't enough, I made the keyhole part, for lack of a better term, a little deeper, especially toward the end away from the notch. That seemed to do it and the spindle was seated pretty well.

Once I got all the pieces to fit, I prepared the tinder bundle and tried to make a coal. I guess my motivation was that my wife came out and made all kinds of comments about how I should be doing it even though she has never seen it or tried it before. So I HAD to make it work. grin

Smoke came in seconds and I kept going until I saw lots of it. When I got the coal, my wife had to cheer too. From there, it is only a small matter to transfer to the tinder bundle and blow.

The wood was a piece of hau, which is a member of the hibiscus family. I thought about trying this last weekend when I got the wood, but after stripping off the bark, it was very wet. So I put it in the garage and forgot about it until my friend called me on Friday and asked if I made the bow drill yet. I knew I had to take a few moments to at least try.

I give credit to all the folks that I have ever seen do this. I just tried to copy it as best I could. But since I didn't have specific instructions, I was forced to learn some things. That's why I made this post. Maybe the process I went through making mine would help someone make theirs and get fire faster and with less effort.

#124451 - 02/20/08 12:40 AM Re: Bow deill lessons [Re: aloha]
Troglodyte007
Unregistered

The last I made fire with a bow drill was with a cedar fireboard, a false willow spindle, a false willow bow, a 2-liter plastic soda bottle lid for a handhold, and a length of cordage I made from Yucca leaves. I made fire with it (with toilet paper as tinder) just before the soda lid "drilled" through. I tried to make another fire, this time with an abalone shell for a handhold, but by then, the cordage had worn out and broke.
I've found that a decent handhold is the hardest piece to find. It should be hard and smooth and as frictionless as possible. Once I find a decent one, it should last me forever.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 289 Guests and 13 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
Today at 01:28 AM
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.