Page 1 of 2 1 2 >
Topic Options
#119732 - 01/11/08 05:37 PM its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survival
RobertNielsen Offline
former wild SAR operator
Stranger

Loc: Palo Alto, CA
Greetings,

I just joined ETS and read many of your comments on a very random/disorganized/ad-hoc impromptu talk I gave at Google. The talk, its contents, and its lack of focus (stream of consciousness) is entirely my fault.

Hopefully you found it entertaining (if only momentarily) and maybe learned something (though not likely). :-)

I promise to, in the future, be more organized and present a planned talk. :-) I do have a lot to share, and some of it might be useful (though not likely). :-)

Thanks for letting me join you all here!

Cheers,
Robert Nielsen
robert@dakota.org

#119735 - 01/11/08 07:18 PM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survival [Re: RobertNielsen]
Blast Offline
INTERCEPTOR
Carpal Tunnel

Loc: TX
Robert,

Hey, welcome to the fire! I'm glad you weren't scared away by the comments on your talk.

-Blast, looking forward to seeing more from you
Radio Call Sign: KI5BOG
*As an Amazon Influencer, I may earn a sales commission on Amazon links in my posts.

#119736 - 01/11/08 07:20 PM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survi [Re: RobertNielsen]
Alex Offline
Old Hand

Loc: -
Welcome to the forum, Robert! I'm sure you will be a real asset to the community here!

IMHO, the show was great! I was enjoying every minute of it. And I liked your "stream of consciousness" style in particular very much! The only problem is that it was too short to properly fit all of the interesting subjects you had to discuss in a single talk. I want to see more! You are an excellent orator and performer! I never saw anything even close to what you've done on Youtube:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=07hYzpX7UeI

#119750 - 01/11/08 08:44 PM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survi [Re: Alex]
Jeff Offline

I really enjoyed that presentation. I certainly got a lot out of it.

For someone that probably doesn't make public presentations every month it was good.

I look forward to your upcoming presentations.
The information you can present is extremely valuable.

Here's some advice from a source who does this for a living.

1. I would suggest following your outline and make sure you cover 3 to 5 points on each topic. The points should be written in the outline in advance. Put the podium or stand in front or next to you so you can do this.

2. Make sure to stick to your format.

3. Lay out all of your items in order of presentation according to your outline.

I would be happy to help you design and refine your next presentation for no charge.

I look forward to your next presentation as I'm sure most every member on this forum does too.

Take Care.

Jeff

#119754 - 01/11/08 09:12 PM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survival [Re: RobertNielsen]
Leigh_Ratcliffe Offline
Veteran

Loc: United Kingdom.
I watched it through. Enjoyed it. As a talk aimed at people who have NO experience it's pretty good. You managed to keep their attention, made them laugh and gave them a few things to think about.

Importantly, you came across as a guy who does this and knows what he is talking about. Who is giving sensible basic advice that they can relate to.

#119761 - 01/11/08 10:11 PM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survival [Re: Leigh_Ratcliffe]
climberslacker Offline
Youth of the Nation
Addict

I really really enjoyed the talk! I thought some of the ideas were awsome, one that I really liked was the pool chlorine tablet thing, sounds like a great idea!

though i seek perfection, i wear my scars with pride

Have you seen the arrow?

#119770 - 01/11/08 11:44 PM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survi [Re: RobertNielsen]
smitty Offline
Journeyman

Loc: Missouri
Welcome to the board Robert!
I watched your video a few months ago and thought it was pretty darn good. Looking forward to seeing more.

smitty

#119773 - 01/12/08 12:16 AM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survi [Re: RobertNielsen]
Roarmeister Offline
Old Hand

Loc: Saskatchewan, Canada
Hey Robert! Welcome.

Charge me guilty - I think I was one of the first to critique your video. I did however enjoy it thoroughly and wouldn't mind seeing a few more of your talks.

#119785 - 01/12/08 02:47 AM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survival [Re: Blast]
Cjoi Offline
Stranger

Loc: N Cal
Watched your entire talk on the Youtube link. Enjoyed listening to you and picked up some new pointers, thank you. We're in the East Bay, so "Howdy, Neighbor, and welcome!"

#119862 - 01/13/08 02:59 AM Re: its my fault: Google video on Wilderness Survival [Re: Cjoi]
teacher Offline
Old Hand

hi and welcome,

not a bad talk and lots of info. give it a few more times and things even out

teacher

Page 1 of 2 1 2 >

Moderator:  Alan_Romania, Blast, cliff, Hikin_Jim 
May
Su M Tu W Th F Sa
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online
0 registered (), 269 Guests and 3 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newest Members
Explorer9, GallenR, Jeebo, NicholasMarshall, Yadav
5368 Registered Users
Newest Posts
My Doug Ritter Folder Attacked Me!
by dougwalkabout
05/04/24 02:30 AM
Bird Flu (H5N1) found in cattle -- are Humans next
by dougwalkabout
04/29/24 04:00 AM
People Are Not Paying Attention
by Bingley
04/28/24 03:24 AM
Corny Jokes
by wildman800
04/24/24 10:40 AM
USCG rescue fishermen frm deserted island
by brandtb
04/17/24 11:35 PM
Silver
by brandtb
04/16/24 10:32 PM
EDC Reduction
by Jeanette_Isabelle
04/16/24 03:13 PM
New York Earthquake
by chaosmagnet
04/09/24 12:27 PM
Newest Images
Tiny knife / wrench
Handmade knives
2"x2" Glass Signal Mirror, Retroreflective Mesh
Trade School Tool Kit
My Pocket Kit
Glossary
Test

WARNING & DISCLAIMER: SELECT AND USE OUTDOORS AND SURVIVAL EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES AND TECHNIQUES AT YOUR OWN RISK. Information posted on this forum is not reviewed for accuracy and may not be reliable, use at your own risk. Please review the full WARNING & DISCLAIMER about information on this site.